Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Comparable jobs, equal pay.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Checklist

1 Leftwing shill crimping stories from BBC/Grauniad eulogising non whites women etc etc.
2 No poll to gauge popular opinion(Worth starting a thread though, irony).
3 Abuse hurled at people for descenting from the OP Narrative.
4 Moderaters only jump in when the objectors start arguing back.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Checklist

1 Leftwing shill crimping stories from BBC/Grauniad eulogising non whites women etc etc.
2 No poll to gauge popular opinion(Worth starting a thread though, irony).
3 Abuse hurled at people for descenting from the OP Narrative.
4 Moderaters only jump in when the objectors start arguing back.

5. Looney makes post no one else quite understands the relevance of.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
What I find infuriating is when people in the same company are paid more than you for doing the same job (see also gender pay gap). The guy who sits next to me is paid a significantly higher salary than me even though we do exactly the same job, are the same grade and similar age/experience. Why? Because he was transferred from another company and they had to keep him on his existing salary. He has never gone for promotion because it would mean more stress and responsibility for the same money. Even if I got promoted I'd only be on the same money as him! I think they should pass some legislation which says that if a company takes over another and the employees are merged into the workforce there should be equivalence of pay for the existing workers. Otherwise it just creates an atmosphere of resentment.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Tell what job is hard f***ing plumbing!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Tell what job is hard f***ing plumbing!

Very lucrative though! There is a myth that people who work in offices are paid more money. Plumbers are rich by comparison! (unless you're a senior manager).

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Very lucrative though! There is a myth that people who work in offices are paid more money. Plumbers are rich by comparison! (unless you're a senior manager).
SOME plumbers are rich! Those that don't overcharge aren't

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
Marks&Spencer have paid their warehouse opps guys (men and women), exactly the same as their sales floor staff ever since the ‘equal pay’ act in the 1980’s. It’s much more stressful dealing with customers on the sales floor day after day, than having a joke and chat (about footie), with your mates, backstage.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Am not sure I really understand on what basis they are claiming. Men and women at Tesco doing the same job in shop get the same pay depending upon age, other than new starters who get a slightly lower rate for the first 3 months. Most instore jobs (shelf stacking, checkouts etc) get just over £8 an hour currently. If women are claiming that their in shop job is of the same value at warehouse staff, then men doing the same in shop job should also be entitled to back pay as well surely?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
How long to train to be a dustman vs a doctor ?

"contribution to the company" was how is was phrased by the solicitor on the TV this morning and I agree, it's not very good. The argument being made is that the physical aspects of warehouse work do not, in themselves, mean it's more skilled.
How long does it take to learn and become proficient at the job ?
How many warehouse staff, for example, could deal with a drunk and abusive customer (I'm sure some would advocate "give them a right hander") to defuse a situation ? Is it worth £3 an hour more to put stuff on a lorry than it is to take it off a lorry ?

I was listening to part of the debate on the radio whilst driving home a couple of hours ago. Traditionally, cooks and chefs get lower pay but still have to train to get City & Guilds, so therefore should get similar pay to others who qualify with C&G qualifications.

Part of the problem is supply and demand. If there is a skill shortage, then wages will be higher to attract those skills.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Surely if a company offers jobs in a warehouse with a salary of X and jobs on the checkouts in a store with a salary Y, then individuals are at liberty to then apply for the job they want at the pay advertised. If they don't like the job or the pay then surely they can just apply for a different job or resign. I only imagine there is really a case if a man and a woman of the same age work identical jobs either on the check outs or in the warehouse, but then get paid different amounts. Of course this common sense approach doesn't always apply in a court of law.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How long to train to be a dustman vs a doctor ?
Exactly my point. Let's not just pay everyone the same simply because all roles are important.

The argument being made is that the physical aspects of warehouse work do not, in themselves, mean it's more skilled.
But they weren't just talking about physical jobs, they were talking about all jobs that are traditionally done more by one gender than the other.

How long does it take to learn and become proficient at the job ?
Indeed.
How many warehouse staff, for example, could deal with a drunk and abusive customer
Exactly, all jobs are different. It makes little sense to just say they should all get paid the same.

Is it worth £3 an hour more to put stuff on a lorry than it is to take it off a lorry ?
Let the market decide.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Sounds like you're doing it wrong.

It also seems like one of those jobs that's difficult to do while posting on here.
You're on here 24 hours a day 7 days a week correcting people, are you in IT?

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
If Supermarket Workers are not happy with conditions can they get more money elsewhere without trying to compare wage for what is surely a completely different job ??
I agree with gender equality on pay but only if both can do job equally well. The fact is that men are stronger than women and I imagine warehouse work is fairly hard physical work.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
If Supermarket Workers are not happy with conditions can they get more money elsewhere without trying to compare wage for what is surely a completely different job ??
I agree with gender equality on pay but only if both can do job equally well. The fact is that men are stronger than women and I imagine warehouse work is fairly hard physical work.

A lot of warehouse work is done with a fork lift truck. There is a test to be done, so you don't inadvertently run over someone's foot, but that's as skillful as it gets.
Handling aggressive, abusive customers face to face is a completely different skill set, and difficult.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
A lot of warehouse work is done with a fork lift truck. There is a test to be done, so you don't inadvertently run over someone's foot, but that's as skillful as it gets.
Handling aggressive, abusive customers face to face is a completely different skill set, and difficult.

Not sure where you are shopping, but I rarely see aggressive and abusive customers when I go shopping, maybe at Xmas when nerves are a bit frayed, but is this happening on a daily basis? I get customer services staff might get a bit more agg, but the average checkout person or shop staff are they really getting constant abuse?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Not sure where you are shopping, but I rarely see aggressive and abusive customers when I go shopping, maybe at Xmas when nerves are a bit frayed, but is this happening on a daily basis? I get customer services staff might get a bit more agg, but the average checkout person or shop staff are they really getting constant abuse?

Not everyday, but it happens.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here