Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Whisky in the freezer

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Currently on my freezer I have whisky, Woods Rum and Southern Comfort. Works a treat.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
left in the freezer permenantly its likly the water and alcohol will seperate, certainly happens with beer.

Not strictly true. Spirits with an alcohol volume of 40% and over wont freeze. They just turn a bit gloopy.

Smirnoff red vodka for example will turn all slushy as its only 37.5%abv so seperates. Smirnoff blue, Absolut, etc wont freeze as theyre 40%abv.

I would think it's the same for a good 40%+ single malt too.. although I'm not 100% certain.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Malt whisky is to be savoured neat. Any other way is sacrilege.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Usually got Vodka and Gin in my freezer, not quite sure why now but somebody told me something at some point :)

Never tried it with whiskey though

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
always thought warmth brought the flavour out in whisky. neat for me, drop of water if it is a cask strength dram perhaps.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

Attachments

• a082f99645bcc5666c533760d36e4b7f.jpg
    a082f99645bcc5666c533760d36e4b7f.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 153

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Good idea or bad? I ask as I bought a bottle today which suggests placing in the freezer for a while before serving, to allow the warmth in the mouth to release the flavours.

Well fellow whisky drinkers, what's your thoughts?

To me, it just sounds wrong.. But, if you like it, you like it..
If you want to cool it without diluting, maybe chill the glass, not the bottle.
If you chill the bottle apparently the flavour is dulled down and the consistency can get a bit syrupy..
Try as it is and then with the chilled glass and maybe if you really want to try a frozen one, put some in a smaller bottle and give it a go.. That way you dont risk ruining a whole bottle..

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Last week I had a rum (Mount Gay XO) and the bottle was very cold having been left in the conservatory.It was avery weird experience and I reckon definitely didn't have the flavour of the same drink at room temp.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I certainly wouldn't do it with any whisky, but there are some that are now specifically made to be kept in the freezer. Dalwhinnie's Winter Gold is one of them and I'm fairly sure Famous Grouse do a Snow Grouse which is also intended for the freezer.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
left in the freezer permenantly its likly the water and alcohol will seperate, certainly happens with beer.

you're being asked to chill the whisky. the thing chilling does is dull and reduce flavour by deadening esters and somthing else. seems very daft for a whisky unless theres some harshness that gets hidden.

It depends entirely on the alcohol content. Beer is far too weak to freeze. Liquor at 37.5% is on the border and can separate. I keep gin or vodka in the freezer if it is 40% plus. I would never put whiskey in the freezer or add anything to it other than a small amount of water. That said, 99.9% of by booze is red wine. So what do I know?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I certainly wouldn't do it with any whisky, but there are some that are now specifically made to be kept in the freezer. Dalwhinnie's Winter Gold is one of them
Surely it's made in basically the same way as any other whisky. Sounds like either a marketing gimmick, or the whisky is rubbish and they're trying to cover that up.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
A wee drop of water has always been thought to release the flavours, and has now been scientifically proved to do so.

Opinion has always been divided on that. Sod science - I know what my taste buds are telling me :cheers:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here