Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Jeremy Corbyn said........

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
They committed arson, being gay is not equatable to committing arson. Being gay is also rightly no longer a crime, last time I checked arson still is.

If you read my post 58, I said arson is a crime ('is' being present tense).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why was it an error to jail someone for arson? Arson is a crime. As I said, women were given the vote in 1918, as their value and contribution to the war effort spoke volumes, rather than acts of 'terrorism'.

Switzerland didn't give women the vote until 1971, but I don't remember wholesale law breaking there.

Whatever.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
However that does not alter my point about the Brexit negotiations and the motives behind a second referendum on the deal. This is the final opportunity for Remainers to, well, remain. If this constituency (and its political advocates) were honest about it, they would say they don’t want a good deal, because a good deal would undermine their ultimate cause.

They want as worse a deal as is possible to colour the calling for a second referendum. They should be honest about this, and they would have more credibility with the electorate this way, because like the Emperor’s new clothes those of us with an ounce of nous about negotiations etc. can see their little todgers.

Remainers are told they only want a second referendum to avoid Brexit, and whilst this is undeniably a factor for me it is just as important to have a referendum when people know what is at stake and - crucially - without the nonsense that went with the last one, i.e. £350 million a week for the NHS, the threat of an Emergency Budget, the disinformation from Brexiteers who said nobody was talking about leaving the Single Market, the Cameron/Osborne-led Project Fear and so on.

Going back to Corbyn, for him to ignore the opinion on the biggest topic of the age of the majority of left-leaning voters in this country is political suicide.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Cunning Fergus is permanently banned from the Brexit thread. Hence he is steering other threads onto the EU. Don’t get sucked in.

Permanently banned am I?

That’s useful to know as nobody has had the good decency to let me know that fact or what heinous crime I must have committed to be banned permanently from that particular thread (and the Trump thread now) but not others like this one?

The good news for me is that Brexit related bantz seep into other threads so I can still skip down memory lane with all the old mattress dampers from the Brexit thread..........until I get banned again that is!

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I wonder if he will pardon cannabis smokers who have been convicted or imprisoned when it becomes legalised. They pardoned gay men with historical convictions and should apply the same processes when any Law is overturned in any circumstance. Should we pick and choose or employ fairness?

If the law on smoking cannabis is ever changed it won’t mean that the current law on cannabis will be viewed as having been fundamentally wrong and unfair. Whereas the law against homosexuality is now deemed as being fundamentally wrong and unfair.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
There are many things that Corbyn can be accused of but a guy who has spent more than 30 years on the back benches can scarcely be described as power-hungry.

he may not be power hungry but i feel he is certainly very vain

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Bit like promising to do away with tuition fees, then saying (after votes cast) that actually it's not that easy after all.

It may not be easy but it's still official Labour policy to scrap tuition fees

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The Scottish Tory leader, Ruth Davidson, has said exactly the same thing as Corbyn but, funnily enough, the OP didn't mention her. Wonder why that is?

Intersectionality perhaps???

Nah you're right, it's because the OP is a right winger who can't stop being terrified of Corbyn, despite buggering off to the other side of the world.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Corbyn can only be the future if he decides to oppose Brexit quite soon, otherwise he'll go down with the Tories. The core public support he has is massively Pro Remain, and his stance as enabler for this will kill his chances.

This. Also, as a cunning politician who is prepared to sacrifice all principles to gain power, he's an utter fail. Which paradoxically appeals to many.

Mind you, if labour had the other Milliband as leader now, firmly resolved to not Brexit if no sensible deal can be done, they would be 30% ahead in the polls. Momentum :shootself:shrug:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
it is just as important to have a referendum when people know what is at stake and - crucially - without the nonsense that went with the last one, i.e. £350 million a week for the NHS, the threat of an Emergency Budget, the disinformation from Brexiteers who said nobody was talking about leaving the Single Market, the Cameron/Osborne-led Project Fear and so on.

Who said nobody was talking about leaving the single market? Who implied that we would stay in the single market after we leave?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If that man gets in to power, our borders will be swung right open, like labour did the last time they where in power.

Old labour was always opposed to the EU (as is Corbyn) for protectionist reasons (i.e., opposing letting in low paid foreigner workers so big business can reduce costs) so the shift back to old labour will nip all that in the bud. Not that Corbyn will be eloquent in this regard.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Why was it an error to jail someone for arson? Arson is a crime. As I said, , as their value and contribution to the war effort spoke volumes, rather than acts of 'terrorism'. women were given the vote in 1918

Switzerland didn't give women the vote until 1971, but I don't remember wholesale law breaking there.

Point of order: SOME women were given the vote in 1918.

Do you believe that women's "contribution to the war effort" was a bigger influence in winning SOME women the vote than acts of 'terrorism'? I certainly don't.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Point of order: SOME women were given the vote in 1918.

Do you believe that women's "contribution to the war effort" was a bigger influence in winning SOME women the vote than acts of 'terrorism'? I certainly don't.

Yes, I do. It was the first time women had died whilst serving. They also worked as railway guards, ticket collectors, buses and tram conductors, postal workers, police, firefighters and as bank ‘tellers’ and clerks. Some women also worked heavy or precision machinery in engineering, led cart horses on farms, and worked in the civil service and factories.

Also don't forget the Suffragists didn't believe in breaking the law, but campaigned lawfully, writing letters and marching. The Suffragettes were the extremists.

I know that only some women got the vote at first, but it was also at the same time as working class men got the vote. That's why I believe the war had a big effect.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yes, I do. It was the first time women had died whilst serving. They also worked as railway guards, ticket collectors, buses and tram conductors, postal workers, police, firefighters and as bank ‘tellers’ and clerks. Some women also worked heavy or precision machinery in engineering, led cart horses on farms, and worked in the civil service and factories.

Also don't forget the Suffragists didn't believe in breaking the law, but campaigned lawfully, writing letters and marching. The Suffragettes were the extremists.

I know that only some women got the vote at first, but it was also at the same time as working class men got the vote. That's why I believe the war had a big effect.

Fair enough, but working class women were working their fingers to the bone long before the war came along.

Personally I believe that direct action gives decision makers much more to think about and more often than not, speeds up change. The Suffragettes were very much a case of needs must.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Remainers are told they only want a second referendum to avoid Brexit, and whilst this is undeniably a factor for me it is just as important to have a referendum when people know what is at stake and - crucially - without the nonsense that went with the last one, i.e. £350 million a week for the NHS, the threat of an Emergency Budget, the disinformation from Brexiteers who said nobody was talking about leaving the Single Market, the Cameron/Osborne-led Project Fear and so on.

Going back to Corbyn, for him to ignore the opinion on the biggest topic of the age of the majority of left-leaning voters in this country is political suicide.

Come on, aspects of that last post are beneath you. You are an unvarnished remainer and to your credit you would accept a 2nd referendum for any reason, that I completely appreciate. I disagree with you, but the candour is refreshing in this debate.

To link it to the narrative that voters didn’t know that “Leave” meant exiting the single market is quite simply not true.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/01/voting-leave-meant-leaving-single-market-voters-knew/

The truth is that a) voters were regularly told that we would have to leave the single market not by leave politicians but by the remainers. This was an integral part of project fear. Mandelson rolled this narrative out a few weeks ago on Marr only for his record pre-referendum to be highlighted were he was at hustings stating that very point. And b) Voters knew that staying in the single market would not mean “taking back control” as we would have to abide by the EU’s rules (including freedom of movement). In the build up to the referendum Cameron had sought concessions but got nothing. The truth of the matter is that EU took a punt at that point and made the wrong call.

Re: Corbyn, as I have stressed a million times before, Corbyn’s pro EU support are not left wing. They are supporting an institution that is in thrall to global finance and corporatists. It’s why the pro EU vanguard is the massed ranks of the likes of Goldman Sachs, the IOD and CBI. If these are left wingers, then I’m a chinaman.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Fair enough, but working class women were working their fingers to the bone long before the war came along.

Personally I believe that direct action gives decision makers much more to think about and more often than not, speeds up change. The Suffragettes were very much a case of needs must.

Of course they were working their fingers to the bone, but it was generally at home, or in service. In other words, domestic work. Even nursing was more domestic work, than actual medicine.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Who said nobody was talking about leaving the single market? Who implied that we would stay in the single market after we leave?

Here's two for starters - Tory MEP and Brexiteer Daniel Hannan "Absolutely nobody is talking about threatening our place in the Single Market". Tory Brexit MP Owen Paterson: "Only a madman would leave the Single Market."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here