Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Amex home of the Albion should it be extended

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
Perhaps we can string some wires between the structural arches and install extra seats like this one:

Extra seating.jpg

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Safe standing won't increase the capacity.

Define 'relatively low cost'. And good luck with getting that through the council.

A 'small block' for dozens of staff? Where will that go? And what have they done to deserve that?

I would be surprised if standing took as much room as sitting, the terrace might have to be altered to accommodate standing i.e. less steep steps and narrower. Understanding some HSE process would have to be reviewed but standing with Chairs around and steep steps is not necessarily that safe...

Define 'relatively low cost'. And good luck with getting that through the council.

A 'small block' for dozens of staff? Where will that go? And what have they done to deserve that? Not sure I understand the issue people move offices all the time or hot desk etc . I don't know enough about the current layout but companies don't usually use primary real estate for back office work.

All I am suggesting is a proposal to get another 2k in at low cost. I don't see the point yet of thinking of spending 10s of millions to alter whats there. my opening gambit actually would be to better use the seats that remain unoccupied at games at least 1000 last Saturday and that occurs most games.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Nope - simples!! If we go down (I'm sure we won't by the way) then the attendances will naturally decline in time, so I think it is perfect as it is. I love nothing better than a full house at The Amex!

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Can you imagine the queues for the trains after a match with another 9k in the stadium?!

You'd have to leave 10 minutes into the second half to get to the station in time....

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Can you imagine the queues for the trains after a match with another 9k in the stadium?!

You'd have to leave 10 minutes into the second half to get to the station in time....

A fair portion of our support only return to their seats for the second half around that time ;)

Surport Local Team

Jan 5, 2011
There is a gap between all seats, if this gap is closed, every row in every block can get two more seats in. I believe this amount to 1200 ish more seats

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I would be surprised if standing took as much room as sitting, the terrace might have to be altered to accommodate standing i.e. less steep steps and narrower. Understanding some HSE process would have to be reviewed but standing with Chairs around and steep steps is not necessarily that safe..

I guess the club's repeated explanations when they were exploring the whole safe standing idea passed you by.

Not sure I understand the issue people move offices all the time or hot desk etc . I don't know enough about the current layout but companies don't usually use primary real estate for back office work.

So because other offices do it, it's right that the Albion can? Despite not knowing the office layout in the North Stand nor any planning issues thereafter for new offices?

All I am suggesting is a proposal to get another 2k in at low cost. I don't see the point yet of thinking of spending 10s of millions to alter whats there. my opening gambit actually would be to better use the seats that remain unoccupied at games at least 1000 last Saturday and that occurs most games.

I know what you're suggesting, and it doesn't take into account a whole load of other factors. Plus what you're suggesting will cost a fair whack.

Additionally, it's not as though those (by your own estimate) 1,000 seats weren't sold. They were. It was just that those people didn't show up - for whatever reason. That's hardly a reason to spend any money on re-organising the stadium.

And you still haven't stated how your nominal extra 2,000 capacity will get past the safety officers nor the council.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
Remember Tony saying in a fans forum (think it was the one around the Bristol City away game last season) that an expansion by any more than 1000 will be impossible, and even if it weren't then you have the issue of what division this club is in - would you want to be a Sunderland for instance with swathes of empty seats in the Championship

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I guess the club's repeated explanations when they were exploring the whole safe standing idea passed you by.

Nope. I have just put my tuppence in on the current thread. So it is not a suggestion we do it just a more cost effective way of doing it rather dismantle the stand

So because other offices do it, it's right that the Albion can? Despite not knowing the office layout in the North Stand nor any planning issues thereafter for new offices?

The club will decide what is right and that will be a financial argument rather than what's right/ethical. It has to financial. So if the club could get £3 million more for the expenditure of £1million they will or at least IMO they should.

I know what you're suggesting, and it doesn't take into account a whole load of other factors. Plus what you're suggesting will cost a fair whack.

Its a fag packet suggestion which would then need a feasibility study should the club want to explore ways of increasing the capacity

Additionally, it's not as though those (by your own estimate) 1,000 seats weren't sold. They were. It was just that those people didn't show up - for whatever reason. That's hardly a reason to spend any money on re-organising the stadium.

this is two different points... If the club want to play fair by fans and ensure the maximum number who want to see a live game can then doing something about empty seats would address about a 1000, yes my estimate but I don't think it is too far off.

And you still haven't stated how your nominal extra 2,000 capacity will get past the safety officers nor the council.

Same way other increases in capacity have been made over the life time of the AMEX by proving they are not a risk

PERSONALLY I don't think there is an argument to do much physically because I don't think we are selling out and have thousands of disappointed people not getting tickets for the average game. yes we could sell more when Man U are here but you bet your life many would be Man U fans in the home end.

If the club feels it needs to expand it will explore options , I don't believe they do.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
The club wants to maximise profits. That doesn't simply mean more seats (the infrastructure can't cope). It means more premium seats.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Between the police box and big screen at the back of the North Stand are offices (there's a big square window to the side of the police box that is a meeting room). In theory they could become boxes or another shelf but not sure the club would do it and lose the office space. Pretty sure the Academy youths have their BTEC lessons up there and the offices are full so alternative space would need to be found for them.

That big square window is another television studio. I've seen the layout of the offices behind the north stand, and there isn't any space to spare. Would we also want to lose Dicks Bar and the museum?

As has been said, fitting smaller seats won't do it, as there are laws about the number of exits per thousand people etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here