Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Amex home of the Albion should it be extended

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The academy lessons could surely be held in rooms at one of the Universities nearby? Office space could be rented or added outside the stadium perhaps.

Great idea. Let's spend thousands on renting whilst bringing in hundreds in ticket money. :facepalm:

The north stand could be extended up and back into a Kop. Would just cost money, the club would probably want to prioritise spending on players and wages at the moment..

No, it couldn't. There are limits to the number of exits per thousand people, so more seats are not feasible.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Great idea. Let's spend thousands on renting whilst bringing in hundreds in ticket money. :facepalm:

No, it couldn't. There are limits to the number of exits per thousand people, so more seats are not feasible.

You would design in enough exits to make it work though, wouldn’t you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX

I would have thought this was possible. The North Stand could be made how much bigger by extending at the back? Wonder if it would be worth the cost for 1000 to 1500 extra seats?

Is it possible to do a mock up of what it would look like? A bigger North would look impressive.:thumbsup:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

Or just err... Make the exits bigger as well whilst you're completely revamping the stand? :dunce:

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Or just err... Make the exits bigger as well whilst you're completely revamping the stand? :dunce:

Not possible, it's the number of exits, not the size. It can't be extended at the back because of the roof.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Not possible, it's the number of exits, not the size. It can't be extended at the back because of the roof.

It would have a new roof though wouldn’t it, if it was extended up and back. And you would design in the required number of exits. It’s doable.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It would have a new roof though wouldn’t it, if it was extended up and back. And you would design in the required number of exits. It’s doable.

Only if you demolish the whole stadium as per Martin Perry. The roof holds up the arches, and the arches hold up the roof.

Whilst the roof was being built, the arches were supported by crane structures. It was only when the roof was complete the cranes were removed and it settled. I remember him saying there was only a couple of cms allowance as it leaned back.

IF they extended the North, then knock back through the wall, remove the offices and Dick's bar, museum etc to continue the seating back behind current North stand. Include an "Upper North" concourse with toilets and catering etc.

Then at the front of the stadium add additional entrances/exits either side of the shop and ticket office with stairs immediately up to the Upper North concourse.

This might be technically possible without needing to change the roof, but would be expensive and lose a lot of space meaning a separate office building would be needed. So is it worth it...

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Between the police box and big screen at the back of the North Stand are offices (there's a big square window to the side of the police box that is a meeting room). In theory they could become boxes or another shelf but not sure the club would do it and lose the office space. Pretty sure the Academy youths have their BTEC lessons up there and the offices are full so alternative space would need to be found for them.

This is the opportunity I feel.

Once the Hotel gets permission and built then some of the non match day offices, maybe the museum and Dicks, could move across to the Hotel building.
Then the North Stand could be extended into a more Kop style stand.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

I didn't realise you were an expert on football stadium construction to inform us with such certainty there is no possible way of adding more exits to the north stand when such a thing would seem rather simple to do. (External stairwells, for example)

Pat McCrotch

Lurker
Oct 25, 2005
Shoreham-by-the-sea
CBA to read the whole thread but when I went for my hard hat Stadium Tour, Martin Perry said it was not possible from an engineering perspective to go above the current capacity. Now I assume if cost were not a factor to somehow do it would be possible but from a cost/benefit analysis perspective I doubt very much whether the capacity will ever get increased.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I didn't realise you were an expert on football stadium construction to inform us with such certainty there is no possible way of adding more exits to the north stand when such a thing would seem rather simple to do. (External stairwells, for example)

2634054_cc22d554.jpg

You don't really have to be an expert though. The North Stand has not been designed to go back any further into the existing infrastructure that is housed behind it, there's no additional concourse space to cater for this. Nor can it accommodate a 2nd tier because of the roof. The entire roof structure around the whole stadium is linked via a ring of steel. The East and West arches hold this up by leaning back away from each other and "pulling" it up into place (this was explained by MP on a tour when it was still under construction). The north stand roof isn't a separate section from the east and west, its all connected together, so there is no scope for raising it higher without basically deconstructing the whole thing.

I'd like a more imposing North Stand as well, but you can see (and we've been told) that its a no go. At least they did a good job filling the corners, but that'll be it.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
2634054_cc22d554.jpg

You don't really have to be an expert though. The North Stand has not been designed to go back any further into the existing infrastructure that is housed behind it, there's no additional concourse space to cater for this. Nor can it accommodate a 2nd tier because of the roof. The entire roof structure around the whole stadium is linked via a ring of steel. The East and West arches hold this up by leaning back away from each other and "pulling" it up into place (this was explained by MP on a tour when it was still under construction). The north stand roof isn't a separate section from the east and west, its all connected together, so there is no scope for raising it higher without basically deconstructing the whole thing.

I'd like a more imposing North Stand as well, but you can see (and we've been told) that its a no go. At least they did a good job filling the corners, but that'll be it.

Yes, couldn't they just add another tier or top or extend the stand back into the existing infrastructure and in doing so make the seats closer together to add an extra 0.7 seats per row ?

( those seats all add up )

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
CBA to read the whole thread but when I went for my hard hat Stadium Tour, Martin Perry said it was not possible from an engineering perspective to go above the current capacity. Now I assume if cost were not a factor to somehow do it would be possible but from a cost/benefit analysis perspective I doubt very much whether the capacity will ever get increased.

2634054_cc22d554.jpg

That photo doesn't include the old television studio (which is now a meeting room) either. I have been to many meetings with Martin Perry and Paul Barber where it has been explained ad infinitum, that the north stand cannot be extended, raised, or any other type of expansion.
That's what makes me right, Husty. I'm not an expert but I do listen to those who are.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Didn't know you were such an expert that you have convinced yourself that it's such a simple thing to do.

The club have relied on expert engineers to evaluate any possible future changes. Where does your expertise come in?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
FFS.

How many more times do you thickos need this explained to you:-

'The easiest way to increase capacity isn't by building up, it's by digging down'.

Lower the pitch by a stands depth, scoop out under the current stands, and back build another tier.
It ain't rocket science.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
2634054_cc22d554.jpg

Can't sell out the North Stand for Coventry. They are all defecting to East Upper given the chance !

I was told on my stadium tour it could enlarged to 40k:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here