Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Winter Break

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hope it never happens, the International breaks are bad enough!

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Interesting the article refers to making more space in the fixture list which could I guess see an end to FA Cup replays in the earlier rounds and also the end of two legged ties in the Coca Cola Cup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The winter break would be more conceivable if the UK had a Continental climate and not a Maritime one. Most of the countries who have a break have very predictable weather. Along we Ireland, we enjoy the least predictable climate. This is just a money making effort on behalf of the bigger club's who will swan off to Asia and rake in the millions in friendlies and merchandise sales. It will be interesting, if it happens, to see how the league deals with a very bad December across the country as fixtures will pile up and then it would be time for a break just as the weather improved. Or what would happen if we had a mild January like this one gone and then had a very cold and snowy February. All this under the guise of reducing congestion. The best answer for that is scrap the league cup.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Sh*t idea January is depressing. The players are already massively over paid have they forgotten it's their job to entertain us?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Does Happen in Germany

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Does Happen in Germany

It wouldn't hurt to have a winter break over here, it makes sense to me.
Whether the money conglomerates will talk to the others, is another matter.
When I was over in Germany with the RAF, I used to go to Dusseldorf and watch the team train during their winter break, didn't seem to cause any hassles, plus any injured players were out there too!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sh*t idea January is depressing. The players are already massively over paid have they forgotten it's their job to entertain us?

They'll still be able to entertain us, after a fashion, as many of them will use the 'break' to jet off somewhere sunny for a series of lucrative televised friendlies.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The winter break would be more conceivable if the UK had a Continental climate and not a Maritime one. Most of the countries who have a break have very predictable weather. Along we Ireland, we enjoy the least predictable climate....

Exactly. It's actually part of the reason why we seem so unprepared for a bit of snow - we never know when it will happen so it's an utter waste of money for Brighton Council say to purchase and maintain a fleet of snowploughs when they'll only be used for a few days every four or five years or so.

If we had a winter break in January you can bet that at least half the time the weather will be shit in December and February, but great in Jan. So they'll switch the break to February, and we'll get six feet of snow on January 1st.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the problem is, we dont have a reliable bad weather period. certainly we know its going to be a bit colder but it may snow, or might not, may be 0deg, might not for about any given week from mid December to March. the comparisons with continent are misguided, Germany takes a month off because its frigging cold and will snow. Spain and Italians break is essentially a Christmas holiday. how many are willing to go with out their boxing day and NYD fixtures?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
No thanks, football is one of the few good things about winter.

Our climate is mild and getting milder, PL matches are hardly ever lost to weather. And it won't help the England team either

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
They'll still be able to entertain us, after a fashion, as many of them will use the 'break' to jet off somewhere sunny for a series of lucrative televised friendlies.

Exactly this, if the "Break" is just used by clubs to fly to Dubai/USA to play a couple of lucrative friendlies then its a big no from me. A break should be.. go home for 2 weeks and do nothing or go on holiday.
Then come back to training a week before the fixtures start.

I would have the break straight after the New Years Day fixtures.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Liverpool in the late 70s early 80s used to play 60ish games a season, on much worse pitches, against more, shall we say , agricultural players, with much smaller squads. Why could their players manage that then, and modern players can’t?

It is inevitable it will happen though, money will talk and foreign tours mid season will earn the big clubs an awful lot.

boik

Liverpool in the late 70s early 80s used to play 60ish games a season, on much worse pitches, against more, shall we say , agricultural players, with much smaller squads. Why could their players manage that then, and modern players can’t?

It is inevitable it will happen though, money will talk and foreign tours mid season will earn the big clubs an awful lot.

And how well did the England team do at the end of those seasons?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
And how well did the England team do at the end of those seasons?

Better than we do now, and Liverpool usually would win the league and at least one of the various cups. We are being conned about the number of games players play, some of them moaning in September that the are physically exhausted, it’s nonsense, but, we’ve swallowed it whole.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here