Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Solo: A Star Wars Story - Trailer

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Rogue one was a masterpiece, hoping this doesn't go the other way.

Having walked out of the cinema half way through the JarJar Binks one and never bothered watching another Star Wars film beyond the original trilogy since, I thought I'd give Rogue One a go this evening. What a complete pile of shit. Awful in just about every feasible way a film can be - the poor acting, the script, the storyline, the length. I can only assume that the plethora of Star Wars fans on here blindly suck up anything released under the name and as blindly defend against any criticism of the franchise, Disney or not.

Last edited:

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Having walked out of the cinema half way through the JarJar Binks one and never bothered watching another Star Wars film beyond the original trilogy since, I thought I'd give Rogue One a go this evening. What a complete pile of shit. Awful in just about every feasible way a film can be - the poor acting, the script, the storyline, the length. I can only assume that the plethora of Star Wars fans on here blindly suck up anything released under the name and as blindly defend against any criticism of the franchise, Disney or not.

Each to their own likes. It's all opinions

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Saw Solo last night, a lot of fun. I had no expectations whatsoever of this film, and was not convinced by Han in the trailers at all. What Disney have done is produced a good old fashioned space romp. It had Star Wars elements to it but it was not trying to be a Star Wars movie and was all the better for it.

Rogue One was ace btw...

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I personally think Disney are wringing the jizz out of Star Wars and the "yeah okay" response to Solo and the "meh" reviews of Last Jedi indicate an expected fatigue with the franchise. I have seen a few of the Star Wars films but not all of them, I grew up with and remain a fan of Indiana Jones and always thought Star Wars were a bit overrated. However, I did pop along to Worthing Dome to watch Rogue One and I thought it was brilliant. Probably the best of the ones I have seen. I'll probably watch Solo if we have a spare afternoon and I fancy a brain sleep.

God knows what ways the mouse house are going to find to ruin Indiana Jones. That franchise should have been left at the end of Crusade with our heroes riding off into the sunset. As much as I love or perhaps because I love IJ films, they should just leave it now.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Watched Solo again the other night, loved it more than I did the first time (same can't be said of TLJ...). Well worth a second viewing.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Watched Solo again the other night, loved it more than I did the first time (same can't be said of TLJ...). Well worth a second viewing.

Agree re Solo disagree re TLJ which I think is brilliant. But hey each to their own, it's too early to get into THAT discussion.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Agree re Solo disagree re TLJ which I think is brilliant. But hey each to their own, it's too early to get into THAT discussion.

Ah, I didn't say I didn't like or enjoy TLJ, just that didn't increase with 2nd viewing. Solo was one for me I enjoyed in the cinema, but 2nd viewing I realised it was better than I first thought.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Ah, I didn't say I didn't like or enjoy TLJ, just that didn't increase with 2nd viewing. Solo was one for me I enjoyed in the cinema, but 2nd viewing I realised it was better than I first thought.

Phew! That's at least one falling out on NSC avoided then! Agree re Solo, a lot more to enjoy second time round, only rewatched it a couple of weeks ago myself. It's a shame the perceived failure of Solo has apparently put the brakes on some of the other projects I thought that the Kenobi film was looking very interesting.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

I enjoyed TLJ when I watched at the cinema, but I've tried to rewatch it twice, and both times I've stopped usually around the point where Rose & Finn go off to free some space ponies in Space Monte Carlo.

I know there's good stuff after that, but it just grates so much.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

I'm glad you've said this. Solo didn't do anything for me the first time around (pointless story / little notable character development / shoehorning in notable canon stories / the kessel run etc.) I'm hoping it will improve on a second viewing.

I really liked TLJ from the get go though, with the exception of the space ponies.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
There’s a lovely little nugget in Solo where Lando sees Han has trashed the Millenium Falcon and says to Han:

“I hate you”

Han replies

“I Know”

It’s a throwaway line that is a second long but I thought it was a brilliant nod to Empire. Probably my favourite moment in what I thought was a cracking film.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm glad you've said this. Solo didn't do anything for me the first time around (pointless story / little notable character development / shoehorning in notable canon stories / the kessel run etc.) I'm hoping it will improve on a second viewing.

I really liked TLJ from the get go though, with the exception of the space ponies.

My view is:

Rose Tico - didn't dislike her, but the way she was used.

Space Ponies / Space Monte Carlo / DJ - hate it all - irrelevant - not needed, distracts from the story, too strong / blatant 'message'

Mary Poppins Leia - not comfortable with this, felt jarring - but I'm ok with it now.

Reluctant Luke - another part I was uncomfortable about - I feel better about it now - I see what Johnson was doing - subverting expectations, but I feel Star Wars is possibly not a story where this is needed.

Pissing on all of JJ's mystery box items - felt almost vindictive - all the mysteries - Rey's parents, her link to the force, Snoke's history - felt unnecessary and jarring.

Rey & Kylo - loved their connection.

Luke's battle with Kylo - loved it.

The Dark cave- great idea - could have been better.

Yoda - nice

Overall - a missed opportunity - maybe JJ can bring the story to a satisfying end?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I enjoyed TLJ when I watched at the cinema, but I've tried to rewatch it twice, and both times I've stopped usually around the point where Rose & Finn go off to free some space ponies in Space Monte Carlo.

I know there's good stuff after that, but it just grates so much.

When you're writing the script, the narrative needs to feel natural and essential to the plot, the characters can then naturally evolve. With TLJ, it was like you had a set of criteria to fulfill, 1. need to show Fin and Rose relationship developing. 2. need to show oppression / political divide in the galaxy. 3. need to show there is an uprising waiting to happen. Felt like we had a section of film unessential to the plot, but ticking some boxes.

TLJ could have committed to being much darker like ESB, but it was as if it was afraid to go all in. Luke drinking the giant toad milk was an example of editing decisions that added nothing to the film and pretty much made a mockery of Luke's self imposed isolation. Even if he did have to drink it, would he have done it like he did with it all running down his face then wiped his mouth with his sleeve? It was annoyingly ridiculous, 2nd viewing I got particular annoyed with that part, because his isolation and rejection of the force was an important subplot to the film, Luke needed to have an epiphany, had to then be able to do something truly remarkable with the force to complete his journey and story.

I think TLJ unravelled a bit with 2nd viewing, whereas the spectacle and joy of seeing a new star wars installment perhaps blurred the first viewing, like you, there are bits second time just get on your nerves.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
For me, this is a 6/10 film if ever there was one. It's perfectly serviceable but has absolutely nothing character or story wise that makes it stand out.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here