Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who is our best player? (and why the difficulty of answering this question says so much)

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Errr didn't we get promoted or did l just dream it?

Yea, with him in the side, not out of it. With the exception of massive away we got ****** every time he was absent.

Still, you're right. His goal return is poor and for that reason he is not a very good midfielder who is deployed to shield our back line. If only he could open his legs up and make striding runs into their box. :facepalm:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Pascal Groß. Assists and goals.

Bundersleage must be pretty good if no other German side fancied coming in for him for that smallish fee.
Or perhaps they did and he just fancied us in the Premier.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I was asked this the other day. Really depends on what criteria you are using.

If I had to pick one I'd go for Ryan. Younger keepers always make mistakes but at his age he is absolutely immense.

I have to (sort of) relegate Dunk that on the basis this his value is further inflated (beyond his obvious talent) by being "home grown".

.. but Dunk would be second.

We seem to be able to pick/produce/buy good defenders like Dunk.

But Ryan - what an absolute find on so many levels. Breathes blue and white.

It I wore a shirt (which I don't) it would be his name on the back.

Last edited:

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
Yea, with him in the side, not out of it. With the exception of massive away we got ****** every time he was absent.

Still, you're right. His goal return is poor and for that reason he is not a very good midfielder who is deployed to shield our back line. If only he could open his legs up and make striding runs into their box. :facepalm:

I like Dale Stephens, but is he our best player? No! I've looked up his statistics for this seasons. 13 shots, none on target, he's lost more 'duels' than he's won, he's lost more 'Ariel duels' than he's won. It's difficult to compare apples with oranges, ie defensive midfielder with strikers, defenders, goalkeeper etc but statistically his record is average. He's a safe player and that's why Chris likes him. In order to be classed as our best player I would love to see him add goals and assists to his game, but he kind of freezes with a shooting opportunity and opts to pass rather than shoot. I'd love him to bring the ball forward more rather than just pass the ball to either side. He's got some good qualities tho and would still make my starting eleven, tho Kayal would run him a very close second in his position

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Not my type of player but by far

Dale Stephens

Is the most important player at the club by a million miles

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Depends what you mean.
Personally our best or most naturally gifted footballer Propper
However I’d say Stephens or Gross are actually the 2 most import players

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Gross and Dunk.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Ryan has saved a few though hasn't he.

Got loads of grief on here a while back but the player ratings do make me laugh.

Ryan - 6 ( Nothing to do )

Imagine if you marked an exam like that. The best examiners set the mark at 100% then take off marks rather than the other way round.

Distribution a bit dodgy.

Completely missing the point that the manager has asked him to hit a sixpence and is quite happy is he makes 1 in 10.

As a goalkeeper if you have "nothing to do" you are given a 6.

If you slightly spill a cross you get 5.

Years ago at Seagulls Over London speaking to both players and coaches I was amazed at the difference fans and "those how know" view player performances. Fans tend to vote on the basis of success and failure and completely ignore the fact that:

1) Players are often told exactly what to do, even if that act even results in "failure". Why does that defender keep trying to hit the player on the wing ? Because he has been told to.

2) Fans ignore generally ignore when players "go missing".

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Murray - too old. Wingers - too inconsistent. Gross - too slow. Propper/Stephens - too average (wouldn't get a start in any top half team). Fullbacks - no way. Ryan - too short. Duffy - too crazy. So it must be Dunk.

Or another way of looking at it would be market values. Dunk worth at least £5m more than anybody else even after allowing for "attackers premium".

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
When Stephens isn't in the team we don't function.

This team is very different from the team that Stephens last didn't appear in.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Dunk best player.
Murray the most important this season, as without his goals we would have been ****ed.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Most technically gifted player: Bruno.

No one else comes anywhere close.

He's had longer than anybody else to practice.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I was looking forward to this bit of analysis, but it seems you didn't bother.

This thread is the only analysis we need. Look at the diversity of answers.

Post a similar thread on the Palace board and it will be almost 100% Zaha.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here