Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Argus Reporting on the Albion

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If he was decent he wouldn't still be at The Argus, although his click bait is probably keeping them going right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I remember during John Vinnicombes time he used to make 3 predictions at varying times during August and September each year that we would be promoted this year, relegated this year and be ok mid table this year. In late April / early May he would refer back to the report were he said that which was correct so he was right in his estimation.

Vinnicombe could be an excellent ‘home man reporter’ when things were going well but sometimes he would get it oh so terribly wrong especially when he tried to gauge the real mood of the fans. I generally liked him because you felt he was one of us though. I don’t want a balanced view from my local hack........ thank you very much.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If he was decent he wouldn't still be at The Argus, although his click bait is probably keeping them going right now.

Not so sure about that: most nationals and regionals are shedding staff so there aren't many places for someone to go. I'd look at it the other way; if he wasn't decent, he wouldn't be in a job.

He strikes me as a pretty competent reporter: he doesn't idly speculate, he follows up on rumours and shoots them down. He got BZ and CMS wrong (although, to be fair, he'd just got back from holiday when that was breaking) but his track record is decent. And he has to fill a lot of pages when nothing much is happening, that's not the easiest thing in the world (and I speak with experience here). It's also hard to file a match report every week with writing the same thing over and over (the Vinicombe approach).

It's clear that he's not outstanding but does a good enough job - top half of the Championship, I reckon./

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
It's probably a tougher job than we think, filling space every day when your only sauce is the scraps fed by the Albion comms team. It's teporting, but not investigative reporting. I get the impression that it's not like the old days of JV who probably spent a lot of time liaising with old hacks around the country and talkative hangers on at the club. If Barber has got communications squeezed down to only a handful of people, we're not going to get any exclusives any more - just more corporate claptrap. It's not Naylor's fault, but I do agree with those who find him a tad arrogant in his reporting of the comments of fans who are entitled to their own opinions.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
He's alright and it can't be the easiest filling column inches outside of the transfer window in an international break with a settled squad.

My issue is when he becomes 'Aftertime Andy' An opinion piece that comes to fruition or some loose change on an Albion prediction and his 'told you so, you bunch of thickets' persona comes right out. He gets more wrong than he does right but he tends to forget about that when it suits.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Is this a job reference?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not so sure about that: most nationals and regionals are shedding staff so there aren't many places for someone to go. I'd look at it the other way; if he wasn't decent, he wouldn't be in a job.

Oh I know that really. I once thought about trying to change careers to writing. A quick look at the (lack of) jobs and (terrible) pay convinced me that was never going to work out well. He's an ok local hack without the desire or maybe circumstances to freelance. Comfortable. Tootling along.

He strikes me as a pretty competent reporter: he doesn't idly speculate, he follows up on rumours and shoots them down. He got BZ and CMS wrong (although, to be fair, he'd just got back from holiday when that was breaking) but his track record is decent. And he has to fill a lot of pages when nothing much is happening, that's not the easiest thing in the world (and I speak with experience here). It's also hard to file a match report every week with writing the same thing over and over (the Vinicombe approach).

It's clear that he's not outstanding but does a good enough job - top half of the Championship, I reckon./

And again I'd hate to have to fill a column every day with such a limited subject to pick from. Writing a blog of home games feels repetitive enough at times. But it's the way he goes about it that grinds my gears. Deliberate cracks at Brighton fans in general and NSC in particular, turgidly written injury pieces and an arrogance he doesn't deserve. As for transfers I know no more or less from reading him than other sources. Bluntly, he gets it right when he's being nice about certain people at the club. It's quid pro quo, just like a job in The City.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I look at quite a lot of the local papers as an insight into other clubs. And it seems fair to say he's at the higher end of the quality spectrum, amazing as that may seem to some on here. A bit annoying sometimes but he's not there to be an Albion cheerleader or keep the fans sweet.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
Why does he feel the need to write an article about it? What a w*nkstain.

He had a slight dig at the fans in a tweet after the game on Saturday ('might keep the detractors quiet but not for long') Not his first dig. He blocked me with my response, rightly so as it was a bit OTT but never mind.

Yes he makes some points but fans can already see this and 'bedwetting' will always happen, just have to ignore it.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
As ever with his mentions of the Albion fanbase, the point of the mention seems to be somewhat sneering. He also illustrates he knows very little about statistical significance.

Indeed. Very much OT but I wonder what he makes of the crime survey (the only statistical output I know much about!). National policy is decided on using that mechanism and it is an interview of 35k people to understand crime throughout the country as it is statistically significant.

Ah well. I’m sure his article makes him feel as if he’s got ‘one up’ on NSC. Although realistically he still owes the vast majority of his recent transfer stories to here. Not that he’ll admit it.

Southampton was a poor point as well. We’d have taken it before the game but the reason we didn’t win that game was as we retreated so far into our shell. It didn’t need ‘attack attack attack’ to win. It just needed a little more positiviety.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Why does he feel the need to write an article about it? What a w*nkstain.

He had a slight dig at the fans in a tweet after the game on Saturday ('might keep the detractors quiet but not for long') Not his first dig. He blocked me with my response, rightly so as it was a bit OTT but never mind.

Yes he makes some points but fans can already see this and 'bedwetting' will always happen, just have to ignore it.

Ha ha I saw that on twitter you told him to **** off. I thought it, I just didn't write it down. You should see the abuse Gary Neville gets makes your little spat seem very trivial.
I can't stand the way he patronises fans if they don't agree with him. Not long ago he was 100% certain WHU and Palace would be safe and not our rivals for relegation, bet he's not so sure now?

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Funnily enough Neville has a decent lot of support from Merseyside considering he is a manc ****.
He is a far better commentator than a manager and at least he takes it as well as gives it out. Carra and neville are quite entertaining........
In regard to impartiality, bollox. The argus’s main football writer should be a die hard BHA fan. That doesn’t mean blue tinted glasses, it just means at least starting off with great enthusiasm and finishing with great hope.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
TBH I'm no fan of Naylor and I'm with the poster in this thread who also remembered the great JV as "one of us".

Now Naylor appears to use the organ to snipe and sneer at fans who have views different to his own.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
TBH I'm no fan of Naylor and I'm with the poster in this thread who also remembered the great JV as "one of us".

Now Naylor appears to use the organ to snipe and sneer at fans who have views different to his own.

JV. Enough said, true Brighton Legend.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My God that site is terrible isn't it. So hard to actually read anything.
Yes. I reckon half the reason NSC is so popular is that both the Argus and the official site are barely fit for purpose.

I have found myself defending Naylor's match reports and coverage in the past, but would agree that this sort of ill-considered and pointless sneering does him absolutely no favours at all. As Bozza says, he has shown himself up to be clueless on statistical significance. As I recall, If you've got a sensibly broad result set to draw upon, you only need 30 data points to have 95% confidence in the results, and that poll he quotes had 236 people respond.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here