Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Duffy and Murray

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Haven't seen this elsewhere so apologies if it was mentioned, but after west ham's goal, Duffy went apoplectic at Murray who seemed to cut a forlorn figure up to half time. To my mind the issue was bong had intercepted the ball but no midfielder had managed to pick up the lose ball before the west ham took the ball on and eventually scoring.

I know murray had a good game (maybe one of his best for a long while) but it did concern me at the time that the level and length of the, in my mind unwarranted, rollocking he was getting had impacted him

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I have seen big Shane go apoplectic at his own players before, he seems to take it personally when the opposing team scores a goal, (not necessarily a bad thing in my opinion), but I don't think that any kind of ranting at Glenn would ever put him off his game, in fact it might even serve to spur him on. They are both very strong characters.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
That's kind of what Duffy does, he did it a couple of times at Southampton too. I'd expect nothing else.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It wouldn't affect Murray. He knows it's Shane's job to pull players up on their defensive failings.
Just like it's Muzza's job to let Knocky know when he's being selfish/moody.

Leaders all over the pitch.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Of all the players we have, Murray is one I feel will not be too fussed about what big Shane shouts at him.

I agree on your other point - Murray was exceptional on Saturday. 5 goals in 7 games in 2018 and up to double figures for the season now. Love that guy.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Of all the players we have, Murray is one I feel will not be too fussed about what big Shane shouts at him.

I agree on your other point - Murray was exceptional on Saturday. 5 goals in 7 games in 2018 and up to double figures for the season now. Love that guy.

I love him morer! :lolol:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Haven't seen this elsewhere so apologies if it was mentioned, but after west ham's goal, Duffy went apoplectic at Murray who seemed to cut a forlorn figure up to half time. To my mind the issue was bong had intercepted the ball but no midfielder had managed to pick up the lose ball before the west ham took the ball on and eventually scoring.

I know murray had a good game (maybe one of his best for a long while) but it did concern me at the time that the level and length of the, in my mind unwarranted, rollocking he was getting had impacted him

In fairness it was annoying that no Albion player followed up on Bong's interception so I think being annoyed was fair enough. Hopefully it will be highlighted in the debrief as something to work one. That said Hernandez still had a lot to do before scoring what was a very good goal indeed.

As for Murray, superb again, we could not want anything more from him right now.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

Oddly, I thought it was Murray having a massive rant at Duffy. It' looked to me that Murray had a massive go and was fuming as he walked back to the halfway line.

Personally, I love seeing a bit of bite between our players when we concede. Shows a bit of passion.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Remember when Tommy Fraser was laying into Murray for not chasing Fabian Delph for The Leeds United's 3rd goal at Withdean when Micky Adams was manager?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
It was good to see big Shane back on his game, he’s looked **** in recent weeks and his body language was pretty desperate. He definitely had some fire in his belly on Saturday and he was winning headers all over the field.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Ironic that he is lambasting a player on top of his game at present, when he has allowed his own high standards to slip rather badly in recent weeks, putting his own CB partner under a huge amount of pressure. He needs to concentrate himself on doing the basic things right, rather than over ambitious charges up field, followed by the inevitable pass straight to the opposition. Or losing concentration at set-pieces and allowing free headers ( happened again Saturday and we got away with it )

Quite frankly, based on some of his recent performances, he was lucky to retain his place in the side. Goldson has impressed the brief occasions he has featured. He is younger, more mobile and reads the game well. Duffy has eye catching power in his headed clearances and throws his body on the line, similarly to Dunk. He played better on Saturday but his immobility at this level, still worries me.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Remember when Tommy Fraser was laying into Murray for not chasing Fabian Delph for The Leeds United's 3rd goal at Withdean when Micky Adams was manager?

I also remember him having a right go at a ball boy at Withdean for giving the opposition the ball back too quickly before we conceded. Went right off him after that.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I do but GM was struggling with his fitness then and was waiting on Surgery .

Absolutely - he shouldn't have been on the pitch. It was one of the many acts of desperation we saw from Micky's second coming. So many square pegs in round holes, that season was shocking! But one to remember for some context. I was 10 years ago now though, which makes me feel old! I remember that game so well because of how good Delph was for Leeds, and for "spitgate" in the South Stand, Block E - "you spat at me!" "I bloody didn't!". Tension had been bubbling up between those two older gents for a while and going 3-0 down to The Leeds United was the final straw and it all came to handbags.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ironic that he is lambasting a player on top of his game at present, when he has allowed his own high standards to slip rather badly in recent weeks, putting his own CB partner under a huge amount of pressure. He needs to concentrate himself on doing the basic things right, rather than over ambitious charges up field, followed by the inevitable pass straight to the opposition. Or losing concentration at set-pieces and allowing free headers ( happened again Saturday and we got away with it )
Quite frankly, based on some of his recent performances, he was lucky to retain his place in the side. Goldson has impressed the brief occasions he has featured. He is younger, more mobile and reads the game well. Duffy has eye catching power in his headed clearances and throws his body on the line, similarly to Dunk. He played better on Saturday but his immobility at this level, still worries me.

Barely (both born in 1992). Certainly not different enough for one to be rated any differently, as some kind of 'prospect'.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
You think to much or never played football.

Ive never played football above sunday pub league no.

And there is a difference between the usual rants which are water off a ducks back and the one on saturday that did seem to change murrau's body language

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here