Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brighton in the 70s

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Although growing up there it was normal for me, It used to be somewhat unique in that there was a general acceptance (sometimes grudging) of people who were a bit different; that's probably why it became a bit of a mecca for gays because they could just get on with their lives.
Sometime in the 90's it started to become somewhere where people wanted to be different moved to. Thousands of people all wanting to be a bit wacky, a bit quirky (at the weekend obviously, during the week they are commuting to London to work in the City)
It turned from people saying "I don't care if you're staring at me" to "Why AREN'T you staring at me ?"

I miss the old Brighton but it's gone

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
What's the matter snowflake, too ugly to be bummed ?

On the contrary, I would never knock anything I haven’t tried out, when I’m ready I will head down to the mound and have some lubed up stranger fire his old beans right up my anus. If I’m giving it a go better to be all in than pfaffing about with propalptics, that would probably be just like nudging my small colon which I could probably do myself with a dildo or a pepper pot.

Your boldness on this matter indicates you have been more adventurous sexually than me, so pray tell me what is getting bummed actually like.........or was you the lucky Pierre?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Old out of touch people moaning that things aren’t as good as they were in their day. Whatever next.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I’ll put my rose tinted glasses on and say it’s no more shittier now than it was in the 70s. Unfortunately, you can’t polish a turd. The big problem since then is that Hove has got dragged down as a result of the merger.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Yeah, everything was much better back then. We even had scurvy and whooping cough. Oh for them good old days.

You're not wrong there cocker,back in the 70s it would VERY much be frowned upon if your offspring thumbed their noses at the nation that gave them sanctuary and went and fought for ISIS,there would UPROAR if someone was to burn a Union Flag and heaven forbid folk had the TEMERITY to vandalise the war memorial.
Much better now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Probably makes a difference that there seems to have been far less people about then which helped keep it tidier! Buildings do look smarter though too, although most cities suffer from tagging these days, most cities suffer from run down areas in the centre too, the world over. But Brighton's also got so much going for it for its size (hence the amount of tourists who rave about the place), and loads of fantastic, interesting architecture around Brighton & Hove. Really makes me laugh when people call our fair city a cesspit/s***hole etc.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I love Brighton, prefer it than anywhere else, I enjoyed each decade, but my god it was pretty drab in the 70's and 80's you only ever went down onto the promenade after dark if you wanted to urinate or have a grapple with a bird you pulled from Busby's, North Laine was just as drab perhaps its saving grace was that they had a few proper independent shops but you tended to swerve that too, West Street has always been West Street it's never been anything other than that generic ugly High Street but served a purpose through my younger days. Brighton's brilliant and better than ever.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You're not wrong there cocker,back in the 70s it would VERY much be frowned upon if your offspring thumbed their noses at the nation that gave them sanctuary and went and fought for ISIS,there would UPROAR if someone was to burn a Union Flag and heaven forbid folk had the TEMERITY to vandalise the war memorial.
Much better now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I see that happening every day in Churchill Square. Can’t move for burning flags and chaps with beards and guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I, like many, watch this in wistful wonder of the simple days of my childhood. However, it's easy to mix that up the more complex emotions of now. It wasn't better then but we can extract great memories.

Your emotions in watching this video have less to do with the environment and more to do with your disposition of the time.

I much prefer the Brighton of now culturally. By some stretch. I don't have a provincial mind. I think those who have arrived over the years have brought so much that's good.

That said, I'd love to go back for a day to truly analyse what I'm glad to be without and what I'd bring back with me.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Like anything bits of it were better and some worse. I think the sense and pride of being a Brightonian was greater. There were a lot more pubs and a lot more crap ones. There's more of a buzz to the place now but less sense of belonging. I'd like to dip back in, especially when the old knees start playing up but I like the culture and choice of today. Fence for me...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here