Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] ESU and WSU open for Coventry game

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I looking forward to seeing our new striker and trying out the ESU and my new sun glasses also pint with some old friends.:cool:
3pm kickoff and cheap tickets love the FA cup

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Still not exactly selling like hot cakes, bet the club is rueing the decision to open the WSU now, with all the expense of getting the stewards and the bar staff i for just a few hundred fans. At least you’ll be able to get a pie and pint without too much of a queue.

I think they have sold about 1000 in WSU so far with around 250 left in other areas, so that's approximately 750 tickets sold that wouldn't have been otherwise. Taking concessions into account £15 average per ticket seems a reasonable guess, which after VAT is £12.5. But the club only gets to keep 45% of ticket sales so the additional revenue to the club from those 750 is about £4000.

I guess it comes down to how much does it cost to open a stand. I doubt you'd get much change out of £5000, but of course as others have pointed out, the stewarding cost is proportional to the number of blocks open. I think they are probably near the break even point, but we still have 2 and a half days of sales to go, and I think they will shift another 1000 or so.

I don't think the club will be rueing opening it, but it's clearly not a money-spinner. And I think not opening it and having up to a couple of thousand fans wanting to go, but unable to get a ticket, even though there were thousands of seats left empty in an unopened stand would be a spectacular PR own goal.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I think they have sold about 1000 in WSU so far with around 250 left in other areas, so that's approximately 750 tickets sold that wouldn't have been otherwise. Taking concessions into account £15 average per ticket seems a reasonable guess, which after VAT is £12.5. But the club only gets to keep 45% of ticket sales so the additional revenue to the club from those 750 is about £4000.

I guess it comes down to how much does it cost to open a stand. I doubt you'd get much change out of £5000, but of course as others have pointed out, the stewarding cost is proportional to the number of blocks open. I think they are probably near the break even point, but we still have 2 and a half days of sales to go, and I think they will shift another 1000 or so.

I don't think the club will be rueing opening it, but it's clearly not a money-spinner. And I think not opening it and having up to a couple of thousand fans wanting to go, but unable to get a ticket, even though there were thousands of seats left empty in an unopened stand would be a spectacular PR own goal.

I think £4 of each £18 ticket is the transport levy which should also really be deducted - although this would be done before the 45% split.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I think £4 of each £18 ticket is the transport levy which should also really be deducted - although this would be done before the 45% split.

Good point. I think all costs are actually deducted before the money is split so my example was simplistic, but it all goes to show what tiny margins the club has for this match. Even so I think opening the WSU is the right decision.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
There’s a lot of expenses before it’s split such as travel expense for the away team

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Really looking forward to this one. Not driving so I can have a pint,I am seated in lower east, a new one for me, near the front.....Wouldn't have been my choice but mate got the tickets and having viewed the pitch from most other area's I am going to enjoy the new "pitch side" experience. Now all I need to do is decide who's shirt I want so I can make my placard......now how do you spell Shelo......?:albion2:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

You also have to build in the merchandise as well. Food, drink, shop buys, programme. It all adds up. I wouldn't be surprised if on average a fan at a match spends £10+ on top of their ticket.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Really looking forward to this one. Not driving so I can have a pint,I am seated in lower east, a new one for me, near the front.....Wouldn't have been my choice but mate got the tickets and having viewed the pitch from most other area's I am going to enjoy the new "pitch side" experience. Now all I need to do is decide who's shirt I want so I can make my placard......now how do you spell Shelo......?:albion2:

I'd bring some sunglasses or cap or both, sunny day forecast for Saturday!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Centre halves of C and G block in the WSU now open.

Full compliment of front row seats for the taking

I calculate that's about 2000 of the WSU released with about 2500 more if required.

Nice! :)

So what is the expected turnout now... 27K?

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
And so it seems we are heading towards a fairly hefty crowd for the game.

As much as I feel it didn't have to be this way...from time to time we need to let PB have his day...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Not until after half time. I usually sit in WSU and it does amuse me to see most of East Lower sat there with an arm across their foreheads trying to block the sun out.

You must have incredible eyesight to be able to determine that they are shielding their eyes right across on the other side of the pitch! There again, thats the reason l dont sit in the WSU, my eyesight is crap.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Like others, I bought my tickets early and ended up in the WSL. Wish I'd waited and could have got in our regular seats in the WSU

el punal

How about asking for Houghton's manager's coat? :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here