Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] ESU and WSU open for Coventry game

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Such a strange approach from the club. I understand waiting but surely they now know one upper stand will need to be opened so why not just get on with it?

Because someone has no understanding of football supporters and how different fans have different seat preferences?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I don't really understand what all the fuss is about. If you want a ticket to the football match, buy a ticket to the football match. Why would thousands of people be waiting for a seat a bit higher up?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't really understand what all the fuss is about. If you want a ticket to the football match, buy a ticket to the football match. Why would thousands of people be waiting for a seat a bit higher up?

Is your first choice of where to sit at football in a corner of the ground? No, me neither.

Beyond that, we've already had a parent on here not wanting to sit in close proximity to the away fans as he has young children. Given many Coventry fans do not want to sit close to their own fans due to racism, homophobia, beer bottle throwing and pyros I can't say I blame him.

Give people a credible choice before they decide to go shopping or something next Saturday.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
This is a reasonable observation from your point of view...

BUT I am taking my ten year old son with one of his friends, and his friend's Dad, and we would not be going if the only seats available were the ones low down by the corner flag next to the Coventry fans.

If ESU were open with a lovely view of the game surrounded by fellow Albion fans then I would be snapping up the tickets and thinking about if there was anyone else I could invite to come with us...

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Two issues if/when they do.

Loads of people moaning they have crap seats and want to sit with mates/family, please move my ticket to the newly available Upper.

Also, if about 500 are sold in whichever Upper, will it have been 'prudent'?

Glad it ain't my decision to make.

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
As they will. How many people would, as their first choice, select a seat in the corner of a football ground?

Beyond this game, the club are very probably affecting sales of future games like this. I think we will get to the position where an upper tier, likely the ESU, opens. How many people who did buy a seat in a position they don't really want will do the same next time?

I'd be "**** that - the upper tier will open eventually - I'll wait for that" - and the standoff becomes more pronounced next time this happens.

Is is not worth you emailing PB again re this situation, there must be a good number waiting for the upper to open, not just us on NSC but others who just read and don't post and other who are just waiting. If they are not going to open just let us know, then if the people waiting really won't to go the seats left will sell out.

I am a big fan of Paul Barber for what he has done but IMHO he & the club have got this very wrong.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Is it worth it to premiere league clubs ? The club seem to be treating it as the black plague .
There was an interesting (and illuminating) quote from Steve Sidwell in the Argus on this. He's not in the 25-man squad and so can't play in the PL this season, even if he gets fit.Consequently the FA Cup is the only chance he's got of playing again before the end of the season, and he wants us to go as far as we can. He said: "I'm about the only person in the building who wants this!"

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Not enough profit involved. No impact on Barber's end of year bonus.

I get it that the strategy might be the wrong one or have unforeseen circumstances, or that the marketing might be ineffective or that the ticket site is a bit flaky. All valid reasons. And all debated on here . Fair enough.
But the idea that the club are keen to have a low attendance is ridiculous. And "Barber" (ie: the club) can't on one hand be obsessed with maximising profit (for some games) but not for others. Also ridiculous.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

This. you want to see the game or you don't. Anyone who has bought a ticket already for the Albion or who has a STH mate can easily get a ticket for £18 inc travel. A quarter final place at stake against a storied lower league club with a chip on it's shoulder that will definitely give it a go backed by 4500 fans what's not to like?

Around 5-600 tickets left, including group availability (not all singles) just buy a ticket if you want to go.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Not so sure it will - with 650 seats left, and sales having been opened up to everyone they are going to be, not sure a lot more will shift unless there are vast numbers waiting..........in which case it's a bit of a catch 22 situation and will result in a load of last-minute sales next week as those waiting realise an upper isn't going to be opened. The club really need to sort this out, either by opening an upper tier now, or stating they're not going to full stop.

Its clear that a number who post on here are still holding out for the chance of an Upper Tier. Personally, I shall wait until after the weekend and review then. Its pure conjecture but I reckon that the club could potentially sell another 2000+ seats.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Its clear that a number who post on here are still holding out for the chance of an Upper Tier. Personally, I shall wait until after the weekend and review then. Its pure conjecture but I reckon that the club could potentially sell another 2000+ seats.

You're probably right - they should open one of the uppers, advertise it widely etc (like they've failed to do so far). Will be a lot of moaning then from those that wanted upper seats but have now bought lower though :lolol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You're probably right - they should open one of the uppers, advertise it widely etc (like they've failed to do so far). Will be a lot of moaning then from those that wanted upper seats but have now bought lower though :lolol:

I'll start a "lower tier for upper tier" swapsies thread. The club will LOVE that.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Apart from Palace , is it common for the club to open all the stadium at once for tickets for matches where its hard to estimate demand.
They don't for pre-season friendlies even though they've had in the end large attendances. And many league and FC cup games in the past. (MK Dons, Hull last season).
Palace was the exception.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
And "Barber" (ie: the club) can't on one hand be obsessed with maximising profit (for some games) but not for others. Also ridiculous.
Barber is obsessed by profit but he also has a massive ego and doesn't want to admit his mistake.

If the amount of money involved were larger then he would swallow his pride and trouser the bonus boost. But because we are only talking about whether more Albion fans get to enjoy watching an FA Cup match, from the best viewing seats in The Amex, then he isn't so bothered.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Apart from Palace , is it common for the club to open all the stadium at once for tickets for matches where its hard to estimate demand.
They don't for pre-season friendlies even though they've had in the end large attendances. And many league and FC cup games in the past. (MK Dons, Hull last season).
Palace was the exception.

Didn't we see empty stands at some league games last season ? Bristol City and Villa spring to mind.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Barber is obsessed by profit but he also has a massive ego and doesn't want to admit his mistake.

If the amount of money involved were larger then he would swallow his pride and trouser the bonus boost. But because we are only talking about whether more Albion fans can get to enjoy watching an FA Cup match from the best viewing seats in The Amex then he isn't so bothered.

He actively now wants a lower attendance because (some think) he made a mistake not opening all the ground at once. ? ????

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here