• Honey Badger

Votes: 94 43.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
No worries.

Thread title should be changed to World's Biggest Creature.

Obviously it's not the hippo, but then it's bigger than the badger, so it wins.

Aren't you arguing the opposite, i..e the badger is smaller than the hippo, therefore it wins. daft argument, you have to take mentality into it, and that hippo is a single-minded crazed beast, get between it and where it wants to go and nothing will stand in its way. Hippo's out of water are scary ****ers to be near.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Aren't you arguing the opposite, i..e the badger is smaller than the hippo, therefore it wins
No I'm not. Quite a few people have made comments that hippos are dangerous to smaller creatures, so I'm highlighting the oversight. I'm not saying a small creature should win, but the winner should be something that takes on creatures bigger than itself.
daft argument
Yes it would be.

you have to take mentality into it
Agreed.

and that hippo is a single-minded crazed beast, get between it and where it wants to go and nothing will stand in its way.
You mean, nothing smaller than it will stand in its way. If an elephant is in the way, the hippo just screams a bit.
Hippo's out of water are scary ****ers to be near.
Scary for whom? Of that's right, scary for humans that are over 30 times smaller than it. Honestly KG, I'd have expected better from you.

Honey Badgers will fight animals a lot bigger than themselves, despite the fact that they might lose due to size.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
Was saving my vote but seems a bit pointless now. Happy with either winner so Honey Badger gets my vote out of sympathy.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I was Team HB, but delighted to have backed Team Hippo instead. About time the big fella had his (or her) day in the sun.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Rolf Harris mostly goes for adults.

They attack little boats that have encroached on their territory. That's why guides are happy to take tourists in little canoes to go and see them, you're just supposed to give them some space.
That's because they're tiny compared to the hippo. Hippos don't mess with elephants for the same reason. Elephants on the other hand, flip hippos over like pancakes.

I've focussed on the hippo because I've seen several posts praising the hippo simply because it's big, completely missing the point of the competition.

Oh dear Trig.

You're scraping the barrel a bit now aren't you?

I'm not sure using a convicted paedophile as an analogy is the best idea, not just because of taste but because it's not a particularly good one.

Let's get past this pedantry. Hippos are mostly herbivores. Grass makes up the over whelming majority of its diet. Their stomachs are not suited for meat. That they occasionally eat CARRION does not make them full fledged meat eaters. We know that in times of famine humans will resort to eating pretty much any and everything in a bid to get the nutrition and sustenance they need. Guess what? In the animal kingdom it's exactly the same. The reason - as I stated in my previous post but which you somehow failed to read/quote- is due to aberrant behaviour and/or nutritional stress. http://animals.mom.me/hippos-eat-2933.html

It attacks boats that are similar sized or bigger than the hippo. From under the water the boats hull will have a bigger area than the hippo, he still steams in and has a go.

And yes. It is extremely aggressive and unpredictable, which leads to attacks where there is no clear reason for it. It's not defending its young, its not defending its territory and its certainly not attacking for food.

It may be bigger than the apex predators it lives with but as you point out size isn't everything. If it was, Lions wouldn't be hunting Buffalo would they? Size doesn't save the Buffalo there. The reason APEX predators don't attack the Hippo is because it has the ATTITUDE and AGGRESSION to back up it's size.

If only the hippo could stand it's ground against an elephant like the Honey Badger does with Lions when it has no options left, you mean?

Kind of like this:

To clarify my point for you:

I'm not saying Hippos are harder because they are bigger. I'm saying they're harder because they are very strong as well as hugely aggressive and wildly unpredictable. The deadliest killers on their continent live side by side with them and give them a wide berth not because Hippos are big but because they bring extreme aggression, unpredictability and a willingness to beat the shit out of you. They attack on land and in water, they attack regardless of the size of their opponent. So, not only are they physically hard they bring the attitude with it. That's why they are hard. That's why they are harder than the Honey Badger. And that's why they're going to win this final.

Now, give some reasons why the honey badger should win. Or just cherry pick a few quotes and try and play an anti hippo game rather than pro badger. Your choice.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Oh dear Trig.

I'm not sure using a convicted paedophile as an analogy is the best idea, not just because of taste but because it's not a particularly good one.

Let's get past this pedantry. Hippos are mostly herbivores. Grass makes up the over whelming majority of its diet. Their stomachs are not suited for meat. That they occasionally eat CARRION does not make them full fledged meat eaters. We know that in times of famine humans will resort to eating pretty much any and everything in a bid to get the nutrition and sustenance they need. Guess what? In the animal kingdom it's exactly the same. The reason - as I stated in my previous post but which you somehow failed to read/quote- is due to aberrant behaviour and/or nutritional stress. http://animals.mom.me/hippos-eat-2933.html

It attacks boats that are similar sized or bigger than the hippo. From under the water the boats hull will have a bigger area than the hippo, he still steams in and has a go.

And yes. It is extremely aggressive and unpredictable, which leads to attacks where there is no clear reason for it. It's not defending its young, its not defending its territory and its certainly not attacking for food.

It may be bigger than the apex predators it lives with but as you point out size isn't everything. If it was, Lions wouldn't be hunting Buffalo would they? Size doesn't save the Buffalo there. The reason APEX predators don't attack the Hippo is because it has the ATTITUDE and AGGRESSION to back up it's size. If we take your size argument to it's logical conclusion the winner is an insect, no?

If only the hippo could stand it's ground against an elephant like the Honey Badger does with Lions when it has no options left, you mean?

Kind of like this:

To clarify my point for you:

I'm not saying Hippos are harder because they are bigger. I'm saying they're harder because they are very strong as well as hugely aggressive and wildly unpredictable. The deadliest killers on their continent live side by side with them and give them a wide berth not because Hippos are big but because they bring extreme aggression, unpredictability and a willingness to beat the shit out of you. They attack on land and in water, they attack regardless of the size of their opponent. So, not only are they physically hard they bring the attitude with it. That's why they are hard. That's why they are harder than the Honey Badger. And that's why they're going to win this final.

Now, give some reasons why the honey badger should win. Or just cherry pick a few quotes and try and play an anti hippo game rather than pro badger. Your choice.:thumbsup:

That’s one passionate post.

Team Hippo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Oh dear Trig.

What?

It was just a joke, not meant as important analysis on which creature is harder. And bad taste? Oh goodness, best you report it, we can't have that on NSC.

They're used to these boats floating along and being no threat. They feel their area is threatened so they bump into the boat. Big deal.

That's not what I'm reading, I'm reading the humans are encroaching on the hippos territory, and putting cattle to graze on the grasses the hippo would usually graze on. You can see plenty of footage of humans tiling their land with hippos nearby, not at all worried that the hippo will attack for no reason, because they generally don't. But as the humans expand and threaten the hippos territory, the hippos will attack.

It may be bigger than the apex predators it lives with but as you point out size isn't everything. If it was, Lions wouldn't be hunting Buffalo would they? Size doesn't save the Buffalo there.
So ignoring size, the hippo is a fiercer animal than the buffalo - yes, ok, that's fair enough.
The reason APEX predators don't attack the Hippo is because it has the ATTITUDE and AGGRESSION to back up it's size.
So you're saying that lions hunt buffalo. Well hippos are about 5 times as big as buffalo, so which predators are 5 times bigger than lions to make a fair comparison? Ah, there isn't one. Predators (other than humans) aren't hunting rhinos or elephants either.

If we take your size argument to it's logical conclusion the winner is an insect, no?
Insects are entered into the competition, and some have their strengths. I'm not saying the hippo is a gentle lovable animal that wouldn't hurt a fly, they are fierce animals and very dangerous to humans. But they don't particularly stand out in the animal kingdom, except for their size, and the same thing applies to elephants and rhinos.

Elephants don't want to eat hippos. An elephant is double the size of a hippo, a meat eating lion is 30 to 40 times the size of a honey badger. You don't like comparing like with like do you.

I'm not saying Hippos are harder because they are bigger. I'm saying they're harder because they are very strong as well as hugely aggressive and wildly unpredictable. The deadliest killers on their continent live side by side with them and give them a wide berth not because Hippos are big but because they bring extreme aggression,
No, they give them a wide birth because they're massive. What creature a fraction the size of a honey badger doesn't give them a wide birth too?

they attack regardless of the size of their opponent.
Er, I just watched your YT video. The hippo never even touched the elephant, and that's the best you've got for them attacking bigger animals. Pathetic.

So, not only are they physically hard they bring the attitude with it. That's why they are hard. That's why they are harder than the Honey Badger. And that's why they're going to win this final.
They're going to win because they're big and powerful and lot of voters would have previously thought of them as somewhat friendly, and have been surprised that they are indeed wild animals.

I'll choose the latter for now thanks.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
30 clear now. 30!

You have to take your hat off to the Hippo. It's had an unbelievable tournament. Has been barnstorming mental from the second it set off against the Salt Water Croc and hasn't let up since.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Hippo needs a big lead because when it comes to the wire, all the badger second accounts will be out in force. They cheated their way to victory last year, let's hope a TRUE champion can be crowned this time. Not counting any CHICKENS yet.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
30 clear now. 30!

You have to take your hat off to the Hippo. It's had an unbelievable tournament. Has been barnstorming mental from the second it set off against the Salt Water Croc and hasn't let up since.

I think winning against the INSANELY overrated Croc early on probably did the fat lad a world of good.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Hippo needs a big lead because when it comes to the wire, all the badger second accounts will be out in force. They cheated their way to victory last year, let's hope a TRUE champion can be crowned this time. Not counting any CHICKENS yet.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha, I think you're getting the HB confused with that shrimp thing that won a couple of years ago and everyone knows that the second accounters (mods anyone???) always vote against the Honey Badger. This year they've clearly put their numerous accounts into action in favour of the thick-skinned, unintelligent, flat track bully of the water holes.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Ha ha ha ha ha ha, I think you're getting the HB confused with that shrimp thing that won a couple of years ago and everyone knows that the second accounters (mods anyone???) always vote against the Honey Badger. This year they've clearly put their numerous accounts into action in favour of the thick-skinned, unintelligent, flat track bully of the water holes.

You've fallen for the HB enthusiasts spin unfortunately. #fakenews

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Some people need educating as to what hard is, if these two were humans, Hippo is the massive fat git that hangs out in his local, surrounded by other fat gits, and will occasionally slap a skinny runt about for sitting on his bar stool.
Honey Badger is in town, walking among bigger blokes, some in gangs, some tooled up, going up to them and mugging them off, taking their kebab and spitting back out because it hasn't got enough chilli on it.
Honey Badger will be drinking Tequila or neat whisky, Hippo will be drinking fruit cocktails.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
With a little over 6 hours voting remaining it's looking like the Hippo coronation is ON!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here