Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What's the problem at West Ham

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
TBH I'm finding it very hard to have any sympathy for the West Ham fans and their current campaign. The fans wanted a new stadium and what they got was a heavily subsidised, long term deal for the Olympic Stadium. They moan about money not being spent on brining players in but decent outlays have been spent on Arnautović and Chicarito in the summer (and Zabaleta's and Hart's wages won't be cheap either). Gold, Sullivan and Brady might not be the best of owners to have (and yes, they will penny pinch), but they're no where near as bad as the Oystons at Blackpool, Sisu at Coventry or Duchâtelet at Chalton.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
West ham have the 8th highest wage bill in the premier league and have spent loads on players over the last few years.

Absolute mugs. Do they really think a friendly east end owner is going to come in and give them billions to spend?

It would be hilarious if an owner comes in and assets strips them, and orient go above them...... horrible club.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
They are paying their players a lot of money to do not very much

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Six or seven first team player out injured, what do you expect? Are we going to send a contingent up to their protest

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Personally I find this a bit ridiculous.

The deal they got for the stadium is ridiculously beneficial for the club and the board aren't using this advantage to invest in players.
It's a bit shit, but hardly a major problem that will destroy the club.

There are worse things that can happen to a football club.
Moaning about it, after playing us, shows how little they know about real problems.

The protests were pre-planned regardless of the outcome of yesterday’s game. I have WHU friends who are season ticket holders who went to the game yesterday and told us before the game that this was going to happen. The timing of the protest is because this was the first game after the transfer window closed, so this match could have been against anyone. The issue is that the fans believe the Board has done nothing but lie to them since it was announced they would be selling Upton Park and their lack of ambition in the January transfer window was the final straw for fans (with the desperate signing of Hugill from Preston being the best the club could muster up and selling Ayew - an existing striker, to a relegation rival at a loss ! (paid c.£24m him then sold him for c.£18). Since the announcement to sell Upton Park the Board have fed the fans with false hope by actually stating that the move would see them break into the top 6 because they would be able to buy ‘world class’ players and the London Stadium would be developed so that fans would still be close to the pitch. The fans believe it has been one lie after another where they have continued to make some mediocre signings, they fail to see what has been done with the money they got from the sale of Upton Park, and as far as the new stadium is concerned they are miles from the pitch so this is just another lie.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Looking very much like the stadium move is starting to end in tears.

Never a wise move to not own your ground.

Much worse to come in the future, I suspect - could even become Coventry 2.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I thought the London Stadium was just a giant Withdean (but with a roof and without the trees).

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Looking very much like the stadium move is starting to end in tears.

Never a wise move to not own your ground.

Much worse to come in the future, I suspect - could even become Coventry 2.

I feel a bit sad for them fans, putting myself in their shoes I can understand their angst. Despite their record of hooliganism, West Ham are a proper old school club that have been ripped apart. I'm glad I got to see the Boleyn before they destroyed the club. I'd feel the same as them.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Didn’t they also moan like **** about Allardyce who got them promoted AND kept them up? Their fans seem to have a massive sense of entitlement. Oh, and they need to find an articulate spokesperson to lead their “protest”

This. I couldn't belive it yesterday when they started singing 'sack the board'. Aside from anything, why would they want the chairman (for it is he who alone can do this) to sack his own board? Yes, yes, I ralize this isn't what thy mean. Thy want th board to sack itself, including th chairman.

That sounds like a well thought-out plan from the West Ham Supporter activists. :facepalm:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Re the stadium. Football supporters should always be careful what they wish for. It looks like a horrible football watching experience.

Re the amount they've spent. They have no reason at all to moan. They must have 4 or 5 on or above 100K. What did they expect, to be above Arsenal and Liverpool? After one year in the ground? Is that where they've traditionally been?

I've changed my relegation preference to

18 Southampton
19 West Ham
20 Scum

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Re the stadium. Football supporters should always be careful what they wish for. It looks like a horrible football watching experience.

Re the amount they've spent. They have no reason at all to moan. They must have 4 or 5 on or above 100K. What did they expect, to be above Arsenal and Liverpool? After one year in the ground? Is that where they've traditionally been?

I've changed my relegation preference to

18 Southampton
19 West Ham
20 Scum

I doubt you’ll see any of those teams in the bottom three...sadly

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
They have always been a bunch of moaners.

I lived in Leyton in the mid 80s and went to see them a few times. They finished 3rd one season, I think their best ever finish. My abiding memory is them moaning at every stray pass and singing 'Alvin, Alvin sort 'em out' when they felt they weren't playing well enough (Alvin Martin).

Loyal fans in number but the biggest whingers in football in my 47 years going to games.

No sympathy from me, despite the knobhead quotient on the Board being 10/10.

PG

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here