Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What's the problem at West Ham

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland

Just watched the above video. Can anyone give a short summary of what's up. It's not as though they haven't got a ground.

Sorry but can't be arsed to research it all.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
They don't like the new stadium and the board haven't put any cash up for transfers.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/nov/23/west-ham-board-out-fan

Thanks

Maybe they should have done a Spurs and had a season somewhere else, while their ground was developed. But can't see Upton Park getting 50k + crowds even with an up grade.

I struggle a bit with fans moaning about the type of player a club should, but can't sign. There's more to it than the transfer fee, there's the wages etc that could piss off other players.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Thanks

Maybe they should have done a Spurs and had a season somewhere else, while their ground was developed. But can't see Upton Park getting 50k + crowds even with an up grade.

I struggle a bit with fans moaning about the type of player a club should, but can't sign. There's more to it than the transfer fee, there's the wages etc that could piss off other players.

The guardian article suggested that it is more about being pissed off with broken promises. This is more reasonable for fans, people just expect to be told the truth about stuff. I am sure that Hammers fans would have been far more reasonable if they had said that it would take a couple of seasons in the new stadium before they would start to see the fantastic signing.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Didn’t they also moan like **** about Allardyce who got them promoted AND kept them up? Their fans seem to have a massive sense of entitlement. Oh, and they need to find an articulate spokesperson to lead their “protest”

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
In every recent window, we have broken our transfer record and we bought some big-name players this summer including Javier Hernández – the forward that most fans wanted and the manager certainly did. We have a board that do support the club and the fact that we see anything below mid-table in the top division as a disappointment shows we have progressed.

I do believe anyone who was in charge when the London Stadium became available would have taken the opportunity with both hands. Whether they would have handled the sensitivities surrounding our move with more care is the million dollar question, while we will never know if different owners would have spent more in the transfer window.

If they were getting results everything would be Hunky Dory. But they've made poor expensive signings. And the fans seem to think losing to Brighton is the yard stick for measuring failure.

They started off the season with a manager who wasn't performing. They do a Palace & get a manager who can grind out results to keep them up (hence the 6 month contract).

To become a top six team you need 50k attendances (Leicester being the exception).

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Personally I find this a bit ridiculous.

The deal they got for the stadium is ridiculously beneficial for the club and the board aren't using this advantage to invest in players.
It's a bit shit, but hardly a major problem that will destroy the club.

There are worse things that can happen to a football club.
Moaning about it, after playing us, shows how little they know about real problems.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
From that video the problem seems to be the fans are moaning cockney winkers.

We should be beating teams like West Ham if we are going to survive.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Are the club making £ms profits,and taking as dividends rather than reinvesting some? They sold their,sole a while back ,not surprised it’s falling apart

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Didn’t they also moan like **** about Allardyce who got them promoted AND kept them up? Their fans seem to have a massive sense of entitlement. Oh, and they need to find an articulate spokesperson to lead their “protest”

They’ve always moaned about something.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Thanks

They should have built a stadium in Essex so they could be closer to their core support

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Boo hoo, they got a huge stadium from the taxpayer and it's a bit souless plus their board only pay hundreds of thousands a week on individual players. If they ever thought they were gonna get a truely world class manager and world beating players they're delusional. Even Man City with their crazy money took a few years to do that. It has to build one step at a time in order to attract the next level of player or manager.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
I think it's down to the fans thinking that the board haven't invested into the team, and with all the surplus money they have from the ground deal, they feel that there's a bit of "tightness" about the way they are running the club.
I think the fans are getting the impression that if a big money suitor comes along, Gold and Sullivan will jump ship with a big profit in their pockets!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here