Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Jacob Rees-Mogg.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I'm sure he is alright, I really do but he comes from and lives in such a very small cultural bubble that he doesn't have the necessary life experiences to lead a country. How can he have any hope of trying to understand so many of the issues the rest of us face when he's got absolutely zero frame of reference? It's this sort of thing that led to George Osborne cutting benefits. I'm sure it wasn't deliberately malicious but his ignorance hurt a lot of people. I've no problem with people like JRM being an MP but he's simply not qualified to hold any of the most senior positions of power.

I may be wrong but I think there was a program about Portillo living on benefits. Day one, first thing he did was pop out buy a coffee, a pastry and a newspaper and a couple of bits and bobs, stick a fiver on the electric, another fiver on the TV license ..... then sit down to work out his budget for the week and realise he was ****ed ..... Pre austerity.

Got him a job with the BBC.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
.....you don't need to go to ASDA .... Just eat the produce from your grounds.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
What a legend,not scared or intimidated by these losers, and prepared to cross the room to engage with them.
Could do with a bit more backbone like this in Westminster.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I'm sure he is alright, I really do but he comes from and lives in such a very small cultural bubble that he doesn't have the necessary life experiences to lead a country. How can he have any hope of trying to understand so many of the issues the rest of us face when he's got absolutely zero frame of reference? It's this sort of thing that led to George Osborne cutting benefits. I'm sure it wasn't deliberately malicious but his ignorance hurt a lot of people. I've no problem with people like JRM being an MP but he's simply not qualified to hold any of the most senior positions of power.

So that is Winston Churchill out of a job then?

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
The snowflake brexiting baby-boomers happened that is what!
Mogg is a disgusting stain on the human race.

Interesting point of reference for an MP that has not been close to the levers of any power.........pray how would you reference Tony Blair, a man that took this country to war on lies resulting in hundreds of thousands of deaths?

Seriously, I’m genuinely interested.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
What a legend,not scared or intimidated by these losers, and prepared to cross the room to engage with them.

Did his cedability And any potential leadership ambitions he has no harm at all And I agree showed a bit of backbone sadly missing from the current government front bench

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The most depressing thing is the moron in the shades yelling "I don't care." Shouting people down, being unwilling (or, more probably, unable) to engage in rational discussion or listen an opposing point of view, is the antithesis of what should happen at a university.

I happen to disagree with Jacob Rees-Mogg on almost everything, but he is true to his own beliefs - on abortion, for example - even if he knows they are controversial and make him unelectable as a potential Prime Minister and will probably keep him out of the cabinet (quite apart from the fact that, as Buzzer points out, he lives in a bubble detached from most people's reality).

He's the opposite of politicians such as Theresa May and David Cameron, both of whom believe in nothing at all apart from the need to say whatever they think people want to hear - the 'Which way would you like me to lead you?' school of leadership.

Why can't people be more like this? https://www.theguardian.com/politic...st-of-friends-cross-party-pals-parliament-mps

On a personal note, this is my 5,000th post. I really should get out more.

larus

The most depressing thing is the moron in the shades yelling "I don't care." Shouting people down, being unwilling (or, more probably, unable) to engage in rational discussion or listen an opposing point of view, is the antithesis of what should happen at a university.

I happen to disagree with Jacob Rees-Mogg on almost everything, but he is true to his own beliefs - on abortion, for example - even if he knows they are controversial and make him unelectable as a potential Prime Minister and will probably keep him out of the cabinet (quite apart from the fact that, as Buzzer points out, he lives in a bubble detached from most people's reality).

He's the opposite of politicians such as Theresa May and David Cameron, both of whom believe in nothing at all apart from the need to say whatever they think people want to hear - the 'Which way would you like me to lead you?' school of leadership.

Why can't people be more like this? https://www.theguardian.com/politic...st-of-friends-cross-party-pals-parliament-mps

On a personal note, this is my 5,000th post. I really should get out more.

Ah yes, the likes of Tony Bliar, Gordon Brown and Peter Mandleson were so in tune with the voters and everyday issues. The reality is too many politicians don’t have any real-life experience. Stephen Kinnock - what a complete waster of oxygen that guy is; typical left-wing cronyism.

JRM knows his views on abortion won’t be generally popular, but he’s stated that there is no chance of his views ever being enacted, so, IMO, that is a complete non-issue. He is (or should I say seems to be) someone who is honest, calm and courteous. Dismiss him if you will, but I genuinely would not be surprised if he featured in higher roles in politics in the future. Let’s face it, he’s far more credible than Corbyn, McDonnell or Abbott. The previous 2 have supported various terrorist groups around the world and Abbott can’t even do basic maths or even sense-check figures she’s spouting off. If you seriously think that the Labour Party is united on Brexit or fully behind Corbyn, then you are seriously mistaken. All of those MPs who wanted him out are bing quiet, but they won’t be supporting him. Opposition is easy; governing is much harder as you have to actually do something and not just protest.

Last edited:

larus

Typical right wing thugs beating up student protesters including women. Usual Tory filth in action

Sure that wasn’t you on the clip “You’re not worth debating, you’re not worth debating, you’re not worth debating, you’re not worth debating”, after all, that is about the limit of your debating skills.

Your standard posts seem to be:
Tory scum.
Tory thugs.
Brexit racists.
Tory toffs.

I think that just about covers your usual responses. You make a constant fool of yourself, but you really don’t see it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Unfortunately British politics, and the level of debate, has been so enormously dumbed down in Britain over the last 30 years it has led to episodes such as this.

Don't know about that. When I was at uni, 40 years ago, Ted Heath came to speak and there were all sorts of protests with someone luzzing a bottle at him. I was at a uni that had a FCS-dominated executive, who knows what it would have been like at other places. I also saw a mob try to shout down Keith Joseph, who stood up to them very well.

Boris Johnson for me absolutely characterises this. A man with seemingly no talent or record of success in any job he has held to date in politics, but he's managed to end up as Foreign Secretary because of "mega-lolz legend bantz" and being "funny" on TV. Thatcher would have looked on him in disgust. Churchill would probably have had him shot.

Not so sure about that: Johnson is really the Bob Boothby of our day. Someone the media fawns over because he's seen as a bit of a card, while devoid of any political talent. Johnson is probably even more louche that Boothby was ... and that's saying something. But Churchill didn't have him shot, he was his PPS in fact, although notably he never achieved much in the way of ministerial power.

I agree though that Johnson would have got nowhere in the 40s or 50s, it's shocking that a person so untalented politically can hold any sort of office.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Another hate thread. Serves no purpose. Eejits hating tories and their stance just because they are tories and tories upsetting said Labour eejits with glee!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Don't know about that. When I was at uni, 40 years ago, Ted Heath came to speak and there were all sorts of protests with someone luzzing a bottle at him. I was at a uni that had a FCS-dominated executive, who knows what it would have been like at other places. I also saw a mob try to shout down Keith Joseph, who stood up to them very well.

Not so sure about that: Johnson is really the Bob Boothby of our day. Someone the media fawns over because he's seen as a bit of a card, while devoid of any political talent. Johnson is probably even more louche that Boothby was ... and that's saying something. But Churchill didn't have him shot, he was his PPS in fact, although notably he never achieved much in the way of ministerial power.

I agree though that Johnson would have got nowhere in the 40s or 50s, it's shocking that a person so untalented politically can hold any sort of office.

My word, Keith Joseph. I'm guessing this was around the time of that speech.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
So that is Winston Churchill out of a job then?

You're comparing different times for a start. In Churchill's time, society was completely class-driven and men like Churchill were quite literally taught to rule. Churchill was a brilliant war time PM and a major part of that was because he had a huge amount of knowledge and experience of war and the personality needed to lead a country during a war. As a peacetime politician though, that same personality won him few friends and often his default solution to a problem was overly aggressive: The Iranian coup of 1952, the Mau-Mau uprising. His handling and part in the Sydney Street siege...

The British public knew this in 1945. Despite the whole country loving the man, they still didn't want him leading them after the war had ended.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester

Whilst I agree that he had an admirable confidence to challenge the protesters in debate I wouldn't personally promote anyone who is against abortion even when rape or incest has occurred as a legend. Personally I would call them a deranged, out of touch religious extremist and would happily debate the man on his arguments.

Further to this I found his comment in an interview with the BBC where he said 'they weren't going to hit me, they were British' very peculiar. Whilst I am getting really fed up with some of the PC bullshit going on at the moment where everyone is so offended by everything, JRM is one of the most disgustingly out of touch humans on the planet. One man's backbone is another man's delusion.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Whilst I agree that he had an admirable confidence to challenge the protesters in debate I wouldn't personally promote anyone who is against abortion even when rape or incest has occurred as a legend. Personally I would call them a deranged, out of touch religious extremist and would happily debate the man on his arguments.

Further to this I found his comment in an interview with the BBC where he said 'they weren't going to hit me, they were British' very peculiar. Whilst I am getting really fed up with some of the PC bullshit going on at the moment where everyone is so offended by everything, JRM is one of the most disgustingly out of touch humans on the planet. One man's backbone is another man's delusion.

...................:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here