Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A plea to the north stand

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I mean, I’m going to disagree with you here. I sit up there, and at one point, after waiting so long for something to get going, we did it ourselves. One guy at the front, stood up, turned around and conducted the West Upper to sing... at times yesterday West Stand was better than the North...

Either way, shouldn’t we all stop arguing and just agree that the whole stadium would be a lot better if that ****ing East Stand actually sang a song rather than sitting there on their hands all game

I saw that geezer - hats off to him he made a difference yesterday. Best atmosphere in the WSU this season for me.

There’s a few of us up the back in that same section as the fella conducting things who make some noise, and when things are going well on the pitch you see a lot of bods in the middle getting up with their arms out.

The problem you will always have is a solid slice of those sat in the WSU just aren’t that way inclined.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
Three different songs all going off at the same time yesterday in the NS. Sounds utter shite. I remember one occasion when the whole stand was in unison for a full 90 minutes. Sounded great-shame it doesn't happen more often.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Three different songs all going off at the same time yesterday in the NS. Sounds utter shite. I remember one occasion when the whole stand was in unison for a full 90 minutes. Sounded great-shame it doesn't happen more often.

I mentioned this earlier. I was north west yesterday and it was very frustrating hearing different songs going on at the same time. It seems that some of the north west arent bothered about what the rest of the north is singing and just continue with what theyre singing even if its not catching on... Definitely doesnt help the overall atmosphere!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I mentioned this earlier. I was north west yesterday and it was very frustrating hearing different songs going on at the same time. It seems that some of the north west arent bothered about what the rest of the north is singing and just continue with what theyre singing even if its not catching on... Definitely doesnt help the overall atmosphere!

Happens every single game. Stand needs a drum.....in the centre somewhere.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I see your 'pathetic' and raise you 'reverting to type'.

Generally we haven't made some sodding noise over my 40+ years, why should tomorrow be any different?

I remember the North being 'taken' by about 5 Gillingham supporters who stood in the middle, singing their silly songs. Circa 1971. We have our moments these days, noisewis, espcially away. But the Amex is not Anfield, and the North Stand is not The Kop.

As it happens, things are changing now anyway, demographically, all over, so none of this really has context any more. Even Anfield can be a library. Th past is as relevant as:

https://youtu.be/fBRbnceW7tA

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I mean, I’m going to disagree with you here. I sit up there, and at one point, after waiting so long for something to get going, we did it ourselves. One guy at the front, stood up, turned around and conducted the West Upper to sing... at times yesterday West Stand was better than the North...

Either way, shouldn’t we all stop arguing and just agree that the whole stadium would be a lot better if that ****ing East Stand actually sang a song rather than sitting there on their hands all game
What a prattish comment about the East. Why sling stones at a stand largely full of old blokes and kids? And in any case, your mighty West stand could be heard ONLY ONCE from the East. That's either because your support over there is rubbish or because there was a great atmosphere in the East and all the other noise was coming from the North.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
What a ****ing boring thread (based on all the bitchy comments)

Personally I think we all need to make more noise and have a tendency towards being too quiet when games going against us.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
The same can be said about the North-east side to be fair. You're right though , it's frustrating. All that vocal effort going nowhere apart from an audible 'mush'.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Very unfair what is said about east stand. There were several singing gosbts when the players came out. What a noise

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I've got an idea, why don't we do like they do in church, have the hymn numbers up so everyone can see what is being sung next. In this case we could utilise the big screen for the song numbers and leave song sheets on every seat. That way everyone will know what to sing, and when.

Alternatively you could just accept it for what it is. We aren't sheep - and I've never thought the atmosphere at The Amex has been that bad, especially when we are playing well or chasing a game.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Is this actually true? Might it depend on where you sit/stand? In the North Stand in the 1960s/70s -my era -there would be a couple of hundred largely teenagers singing, but the rest of the stand was( much) older. Has it really changed that much? I am not disagreeing with you, just that I am not sure it has changed, and if it has, why would it have done?

You are correct of course. But back in the Goldstone days the singers of the North all congregated together. As I have said before, the singing will only improve when those of us that do sing are accommodated together. Given Barber's public statement (first or second year at the Amex) that we would never consider having a safe standing area that looks very unlikely to happen.

It is what it is. We do try. And to the OP, there are no rules or regulations that state that only the NS can make the noise. It's up to those of you who sit elsewhere to join in. Easy to slag off others when you dont do anything yourself huh?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
You are correct of course. But back in the Goldstone days the singers of the North all congregated together. As I have said before, the singing will only improve when those of us that do sing are accommodated together. Given Barber's public statement (first or second year at the Amex) that we would never consider having a safe standing area that looks very unlikely to happen.

It is what it is. We do try. And to the OP, there are no rules or regulations that state that only the NS can make the noise. It's up to those of you who sit elsewhere to join in. Easy to slag off others when you dont do anything yourself huh?

Sadly there's a lot of people in the North Stand who perhaps wan't to be a part of the atmosphere rather than help create the atmosphere. I'm behind the goal and there's the same little pockets of people, to my left, to my right, and behind, who will do their best but so many who can't be bothered. I think the NSK guys who moved to the NWC were frustrated with that so moved there to get themselves together but not sure it's really helped the atmosphere as just makes the willing singers more spread out.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
It is perhaps proper to mention that the acoustics in the ground are not great. It is not always easy to hear what is being sung.

Nothing we can do about that now. I think (and I'm making an educated guess here) that when the Amex was being built the focus would have been on the noise pollution outside of the ground rather than acoustics within.

It is what it is. We do what we can.

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
Sadly there's a lot of people in the North Stand who perhaps wan't to be a part of the atmosphere rather than help create the atmosphere. I'm behind the goal and there's the same little pockets of people, to my left, to my right, and behind, who will do their best but so many who can't be bothered. I think the NSK guys who moved to the NWC were frustrated with that so moved there to get themselves together but not sure it's really helped the atmosphere as just makes the willing singers more spread out.
Ideally it would start in the middle and spread out, as it is you get the left and the right going at different times and it just isn't working

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Perhaps we need a North Stand seat swap period to allow those that want to sing to move together in the centre?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here