Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A plea to the north stand

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
You are correct of course. But back in the Goldstone days the singers of the North all congregated together. As I have said before, the singing will only improve when those of us that do sing are accommodated together. Given Barber's public statement (first or second year at the Amex) that we would never consider having a safe standing area that looks very unlikely to happen.

It is what it is. We do try. And to the OP, there are no rules or regulations that state that only the NS can make the noise. It's up to those of you who sit elsewhere to join in. Easy to slag off others when you dont do anything yourself huh?

There are probably thousands of people around the ground who would like to get involved but are surrounded by mutes. I've tried to get those around me going believe me, it's worked very rarely and only on 'big' occasions do they awake from their slumber. Burnley 9men, Palace games, Derby & Shef Wed in playoffs, first game in PL etc. Even when I can get them going they don't know any songs/words beyond Albion, Albion and more recently clap clap clap we all follow BHA (they even struggle with that).

The Amex has the potential for a great atmosphere but it requires a domino effect from the North being loud enough, the North side of the West Lower and Upper to join in and carry it over to the other side of the ground. Unfortunately the problem for me is that the North isn't loud enough to begin with which is largely down to the demographic and lack of unity which has been discussed ad infinitum. This is no disrespect to people in there who are trying their best and without them the ground would be a morgue.

I guess it's up to people like me and the many thousands of others to be proactive and move to more passionate areas of the ground but it's not easy, and I stand the risk of beng lumped in with boring ***** in the NS instead as I have been in the past for cup games and when I've *ahem* exchanged tickets.

Lush

Mods' Pet
There's been a lot of discussion about atmosphere - with Huddersfield and West Brom lauded for being a cauldron of noise.

With both clubs sitting at the bottom of the league (Hudders haven't won at home since they beat us in early December) it makes you wonder whether amplified drums/clackers are that good an idea.

I'm sure the players would rather hear good old fashioned cheering/chanting than manufactured noise where you can hardly hear yourself think. Given the general nerves and occasional pastings I think the whole ground does pretty well, helped massively by the Amex acoustics.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
You are correct of course. But back in the Goldstone days the singers of the North all congregated together. As I have said before, the singing will only improve when those of us that do sing are accommodated together. Given Barber's public statement (first or second year at the Amex) that we would never consider having a safe standing area that looks very unlikely to happen.

It is what it is. We do try. And to the OP, there are no rules or regulations that state that only the NS can make the noise. It's up to those of you who sit elsewhere to join in. Easy to slag off others when you dont do anything yourself huh?

I remember being in the North at the Goldstone loads of times where there was more than one song going at the same time. Difference with now is that anyone could move around at any time.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Well-intentioned that (but won't get anywhere)........pensioners, parents and kids must make up a large % of our support (and what the club aims for ?). Hope is the kids stay on I guess but I would say the greater problem is if you're in that say 22-40 (ish) age group with maybe young kids and/or a mortgage etc then the cost becomes a right drain on the family budget. Tickets are cheaper for the U21s so not so much of an issue.

Non STH costs are a bit obscene given the amount of money washing around the game (cheapest ticket for Arsenal at home £45 for an adult).

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
The same can be said about the North-east side to be fair. You're right though , it's frustrating. All that vocal effort going nowhere apart from an audible 'mush'.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Yeah, your probably right. Oh for the days of terracing and singers grouping together in one place

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
I have a moment once or twice a season where I think ‘**** it’ and like to get everyone going. Was pretty good yesterday there must have been hundreds staring at me and everyone seemed to join in and get behind the lads. You get some that sit on NSC and moan and some that try to do something about it :)

Loved yesterday :clap2:

Hundreds ?
Wow :thumbsup:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Just watching the Watford game and the complete lack of any kind of noise from the Watford fans despite also being on top is definitely a reminder that things arent too bad at the Amex. Just need to find a way of getting everyone in unison more often. When we do, it lifts the roof off!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just watching the Watford game and the complete lack of any kind of noise from the Watford fans despite also being on top is definitely a reminder that things arent too bad at the Amex. Just need to find a way of getting everyone in unison more often. When we do, it lifts the roof off!

Exactamondo.

I wouldn't be anywhere near as titsy about the subject if it weren't for the fact when the North Stand does get it's act together it is properly spine chilling, erect neck haired goosebumpiness.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Exactamondo.

I wouldn't be anywhere near as titsy about the subject if it weren't for the fact when the North Stand does get it's act together it is properly spine chilling, erect neck haired goosebumpiness.

Definitely. Despte the atmosphere at the Amex being sometimes a bit all over the place/uncoordinated, etc, its very rarely you could hear a pin drop quiet. So many worse grounds for atmosphere than the Amex, in fact id say we don't do too badly at all overall in comparison.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
This. And all season, not just yesterday.

I think it is a question of acoustics. I regularly sit in WSU and can confirm that they do join in when the NS gets its act together. If you are in the NS you probably can't hear. I sat in the ESL for the West Ham game and literally no-one around me bothered. But it's the same at most grounds...

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think it is a question of acoustics. I regularly sit in WSU and can confirm that they do join in when the NS gets its act together. If you are in the NS you probably can't hear. I sat in the ESL for the West Ham game and literally no-one around me bothered. But it's the same at most grounds...

Agreed. I sit in WSL near the NW corner so get both, WSU has got progressively more noisy over the last couple of seasons. The NS is immense when everyone is in synch but so often there are competing songs. We get stuck between trying to follow all three sometimes.........lots of day trippers in WSL too who don’t get involved. It’s getting better though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here