Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A plea to the north stand

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
The bit where you said something like if we make some some noise, the players will pay us back? I already covered that bit in my post.

My point was that it's a two-way street. Unless we sit in absolute silence until they score in which time we start making noise.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Bollox crew to my left (within 2 metres) consistently go silent, we sing in the middle they don’t join in. Then we stop and they start their own song.

Drives me mad it has happened to often to be a coincidence now. If you say anything you get told to duck off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
For noise the west has been frankly appalling this season and as for the East pfft..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
There will be an excuse trotted out for tomorrows low-key (normal) atmosphere.

Clearly it can't be:-

- Time of kick off.
- Date.
- Price of ticket.
- Travel disruption.
- Silent away fans.
- Hopefully not score line.

but there will be an excuse.

And of course all the homeless ST holders from the upper tiers buying tickets in the North just to try it out ;)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
My point was that it's a two-way street. Unless we sit in absolute silence until they score in which time we start making noise.

I appreciate your point, and agree with it up to a point. However, I question the motivation of players who can't compete without the backing of the crowd and can't raise their game due to their lack of an inner competitive engine. They need to be possessed of an overriding passion to win, whether that be in a PL match, a training session or a game of tiddlywinks at home with the kids.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I appreciate your point, and agree with it up to a point. However, I question the motivation of players who can't compete without the backing of the crowd and can't raise their game due to their lack of an inner competitive engine. They need to be possessed of an overriding passion to win, whether that be in a PL match, a training session or a game of tiddlywinks at home with the kids.

Like you, I appreciate your point and agree with it to a point - i agree that they must have that desire (and if they don't they're in the wrong job frankly) but, if they are struggling wether it be due to a lack of confidence (i can't pretend to know the level of pressure they are under), or simply because the team they are playing is just better than them. So any help from the crowd can only help and in turn, that'll help us off their backs by turning in the performances we want to see.

The problem we seem to have in the crowd in parts (and this could be because we had 2 seasons of it in the Championship) is that the team is expected to turn up and sweep anyone away that dares cross their path and when we haven't, then the dissent appears. There's a weird sense of entitlement only because we're at the top table now. We're still the small club in the league, and it may take this season, perhaps next season to struggle a bit before we get the team to the stage and quality to be the team that some seem to expect us to already be.

SAC

May 21, 2014
It's modern football. The traditional fans are either priced out of attendance or have been diluted by the number of new fans who don't seem to want to join in.

There are ways of trying to get a better atmosphere but these would be (and have been) dismissed as tinpot.

I blame Thatcher.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
The demographic of the North is nothing like the old one or even our current away following. When seats were sold we had no corners or second tier on the east, people chose the north because it was cheaper.

No solution other than to implement safe standing and allow redistribution of ST holders around the ground. Only chance of that happening is a steady decline on the pitch and a bogus report consigned to history.

I reckon you are absolutely correct. When I've been in the NS (I'm usually WSU) and looked around I could never figure out why there are so many people who look like the ES would suit them more. But you're right there was no ESU when we moved in and season tickets were cheapest in the NS, hence so many old biddies and grandads.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
That's not true.

The noise makers are still there, they just refuse to sing the same song, at the same time, at the same speed.

If they knew just how bad they make the North Stand sound, compared to the rare moments they actually take the roof off the fookin thing, they'd be thoroughly ashamed of themselves and vow never split again.

It’s not a refusal to do so. It’s a lack of organisation. As much as I detest the idea in theory, a drum could make some real difference.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I don't agree; WSU is always ready to join in the big chants but we do need a lead from North Stand.

WSU has been good as ever. But it certainly was louder all round at the start of the season and end of last - we need to get that back tomorrow :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It’s not a refusal to do so. It’s a lack of organisation. As much as I detest the idea in theory, a drum could make some real difference.

If 'who's the w""""r with the drum' is what it takes then so be it.
Anything is better than the current shitestorm of occasional noise as 2 different songs are half-heartedly sung.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
WSU has been good as ever. But it certainly was louder all round at the start of the season and end of last - we need to get that back tomorrow :thumbsup:

Yet us in the east have not only maintained our previous highs of groans, sighs and tuts when certain players misplace a pass I think we're even outdoing previous bests.

Previously I've always pointed the finger at 'everyone else' but it turns out subconsciously I was part of the problem. (I'm a signer)
I will try harder, tomorrow, to be a better fan.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here