Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are Hughton’s tactics too negative?

Are Hughton’s tactics too negative?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Tactical masterclass tonight I thought executed to great effect by the team following Saturday. So impressed with our shape, our high press at goal kicks, our closing space in key areas, but also our bravery with the ball and carrying our own threat through the game.

I’m some matches yes I still think so. But he gets it right 90% of time and we’re not going to get better than that out there in the manager market

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Tactical masterclass tonight I thought executed to great effect by the team following Saturday. So impressed with our shape, our high press at goal kicks, our closing space in key areas, but also our bravery with the ball and carrying our own threat through the game.

Absolutely agree. Superb performance. Im feeling confident that we can get a result against United too. We bloody owe them one and the lads will be well up for it

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
No. Playing two,or three, wingers is a bit too attacking for me, misses out on midfield and concedes possession.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
No. Playing two,or three, wingers is a bit too attacking for me, misses out on midfield and concedes possession.

Any reason why you don't post on football forum anymore ?

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Today? Very arguably, perhaps.

To be honest though - if playing the game for my life, and needing to get at least a point, I would rather have Chris Hughton making the calls than an NSC collective...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that we show too many teams too much respect and I think that is down to CH and his usual press conference saying whoever we are going to play are a good team and it will be a difficult game. IOf that is being negative then the answer has to be yes but on the other side he is keeping us in The Premier

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Bissouma and Andone needed to start today to stand any chance.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
I think that we show too many teams too much respect and I think that is down to CH and his usual press conference saying whoever we are going to play are a good team and it will be a difficult game. IOf that is being negative then the answer has to be yes but on the other side he is keeping us in The Premier

He said exactly the same about the opposition in every press conference when we were smashing the championship. I wouldn't read too much into it.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
But why? why not say we are Brighton and in this division because we deserve to be so let them worry about our strengths.

my point is that even when we were obvious favourites to win games he would still talk up the strength of the opposition. that's just his style and its working very well for us.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
my point is that even when we were obvious favourites to win games he would still talk up the strength of the opposition. that's just his style and its working very well for us.

I don’t mind managers doing that. It removes any chance of aiding the opposition manager’s motivational teamtalk for them.

Plus I doubt that behind closed doors CH briefs his players with an emphasis on how good the oppostion is.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Too passive, no press, no desire, no pace = the first half.

Hughton can speak all he likes, he however has never taken any responsibility publicly for us playing so poorly. Time he did..

We play with the handbrake on. Allow the players to play ffs.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Watching the top sides there is clearly a different level of coaching going on at those clubs. Yes, I know, better players, blah blah blah but the fundamentals should be the same. Possibly even more so for teams like The Albion. Watching Man City on Saturday it was clear that their game is based on simplicity: triangle passing out of defence, every player looking to get into space. We rarely do that.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Are Hughton’s tactics too negative?

Yes, they are, but on the whole he has far more going for him than against him. Do we wish he was a bit less defensive (just a bit, mind, not gung-ho)? Yes. Do we want to replace him? No.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Watching the top sides there is clearly a different level of coaching going on at those clubs. Yes, I know, better players, blah blah blah but the fundamentals should be the same. Possibly even more so for teams like The Albion. Watching Man City on Saturday it was clear that their game is based on simplicity: triangle passing out of defence, every player looking to get into space. We rarely do that.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

But the blah blah blah better players bit, is key.

To play triangles under intense pressure at the back is incredibly hard. MOTD2 showed Arsenal making telling mistakes as Stains pressurised them doing that. Fulham crumbled at the back trying it to WHU. At the moment possibly City, Pool and Chelsea are the only PL teams able to do that without punishing mistakes.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here