Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are Hughton’s tactics too negative?

Are Hughton’s tactics too negative?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I thought Chris was there for the season before, finishing 11th or so, and then the season when he left?

Oh yes, crap, I've had a bad moment there haven't I! Shhhhhh. Glad you're getting plenty of posts in to move the page further away from the front...anyway, does kind of back up my point, because they picked up 10 wins, 14 draws in a very credible 44 points 11th place finish with 41 goals, so there was a lot of judgement based on the following season...:dunce:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
other than the obvious swipe at this forum (as if he had to be 'referred' to it :lolol:).
:lol:

At least he mentioned it by name I suppose, but he seems to imply that only 250 albion fans have this warped opinion, and they are all found on this forum.
He doesn't have a great grasp on the idea of a sample does he. I've heard criticism of Chris's tactics from quite a few people far too sensible to be posting on here.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think there's been some good debate in this thread. It's a shame Mr Naylor is trying to shit all over it.

Agreed. I have now managed to trudge through his dull outburst, and it seems he's slightly got his knickers in a twist over one negative poster on twitter. Seriously, WTF? The poster may well be a troll having a good laugh, why would a journalist actually publish a long response in the paper :shrug: Then he tries to lump all those who voted yes into the same boat, accusing them of knowing nothing etc, when you can tell by reading this thread there are a lot of reasoned opinions and people who are only slightly veering one way or the other.
Exactly. One of the more annoying things about this thread has been the giant leap by some (including it would seem, A. Naylor Esq.) to the erroneous and ridiculous assumption that those of us who voted yes were in fact voting for something like, 'Hughton is rubbish, he doesn't know what he's doing and we want him out'. Nothing could be further from the truth, not even an MP's expenses statement.

There was a difference between the Southampton and Wet Sham performances. Because our team just played better? Because the other team were (even) worse? Or a small tweak of tactics (not noticeable to those who could only look at the formation and not beyond)? I don't know - neither does anybody else - but surely people aren't trying to say the manager has no influence? They give signs from the touchline, be it gesticulation or waving of arms; they have words in the ear of a nearby player in dead ball situations, and they send on messages via the substitute.

What we got wrong at Southampton we got right in the next match, and as a 'yes' voter I'm quite happy to give a lot of the credit for that to our excellent manager.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I did ask the simple question of the Stoke game, the result, win or lose. Can you give me the answer before the game?
Yes, we will draw that game.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Exactly. One of the more annoying things about this thread has been the giant leap by some (including it would seem, A. Naylor Esq.) to the erroneous and ridiculous assumption that those of us who voted yes were in fact voting for something like, 'Hughton is rubbish, he doesn't know what he's doing and we want him out'. Nothing could be further from the truth, not even an MP's expenses statement.

There was a difference between the Southampton and Wet Sham performances. Because our team just played better? Because the other team were (even) worse? Or a small tweak of tactics (not noticeable to those who could only look at the formation and not beyond)? I don't know - neither does anybody else - but surely people aren't trying to say the manager has no influence? They give signs from the touchline, be it gesticulation or waving of arms; they have words in the ear of a nearby player in dead ball situations, and they send on messages via the substitute.

What we got wrong at Southampton we got right in the next match, and as a 'yes' voter I'm quite happy to give a lot of the credit for that to our excellent manager.

Great post. Hopefully Andy will pop back and have another read and finally understand the nuances of the debate and the difference between formation and tactics. I'm not holding my breath though, he's probably posting insider information on the Oatcake as we type :wink:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Not letting you get away with that bit of mythology.

At the time of the poll the mood of the most vocal on NSC was definitely turning against Hughton. If we were to struggle in the next two games then it will happen again.

Publicly voting to even slightly join in with that critical mood at that point was the opposite of supportive. Dress it up however you like but that is a fact.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not letting you get away with that bit of mythology.

At the time of the poll the mood of the most vocal on NSC was definitely turning against Hughton. If we were to struggle in the next two games then it will happen again.

Publicly voting to even slightly join in with that critical mood at that point was the opposite of supportive. Dress it up however you like but that is a fact.
Absolute rubbish. You are one of the people I was talking about in my post, making the same error as Naylor appears to have done. And adding 'that is a fact' after your opinion does not make it so, and rather tends to weaken the argument.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Absolute rubbish. You are one of the people I was talking about in my post, making the same error as Naylor appears to have done. And adding 'that is a fact' after your opinion does not make it so, and rather tends to weaken the argument.
So you don't think the mood on NSC would turn against Chris Hughton (again) if we struggled to make positive headway in the next two games?

I won't describe your opinion as "absolute rubbish". Let's say "optimistic".

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

No it isn't. Please quote the most vocal on NSC being against Hughton.

So you don't think the mood on NSC would turn against Chris Hughton (again)
The mood hasn't turned against him before - please provide some proof of this allegation.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Right people is everybody ready for this half?

CH won't chase a second goal.
Stoke will be desperate to score.
The Albion will keep attempting to send Jose free, but he will be starting from further back.
Eventually, all being well, there will be defensive substitutions and a nervous 10 minutes.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Right people is everybody ready for this half?

CH won't chase a second goal.
Stoke will be desperate to score.
The Albion will keep attempting to send Jose free, but he will be starting from further back.
Eventually, all being well, there will be defensive substitutions and a nervous 10 minutes.

Hopefully he will want to give Locadia a run out so perhaps he wont try to entirely (and hopelessly, needlessly and pathetically) shut up shop !

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hopefully he will want to give Locadia a run out so perhaps he wont try to entirely (and hopelessly, needlessly and pathetically) shut up shop !

So we're not ready. :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here