Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are Hughton’s tactics too negative?

Are Hughton’s tactics too negative?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Are Hughton’s tactics too negative?

To be clear:
You can have negative tactics that work - soak up pressure and score on the break, etc. Too negative means going further than that, and being negative to the extent that it costs us points.

Yes or no?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I am INCREDIBLY mild Yes. Only slight. Away draws are fine if followed up with a home win. There is no excuse whatsoever not to go for West Ham on Saturday.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm a no, because I don't think we have the tools or the quality to simply 'attack' teams like people believe, especially away from home, especially when the opposition are behind. It is a massive simplification of what happens in a football match. If we could keep the ball better, then we could be more positive, but we don't. Our fullbacks last night panicked in possession in tight spots, our wingers rarely beat their man, our forwards are a bit slow. It is a fantasy that we can simply turn a switch and suddenly attack teams forcing them back when we cannot retain possession well enough - in short we'd be taken apart.

Our achilles heal at present isn't a lack of attack, it is an inability to shut teams out.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
No because as per the question I don't think his tactics have cost us points. I think plenty will vote Yes because of the frustration factor but I think ultimately we're a poor side in this league and you can approach games in anyway you like, we're going to struggle however we approach the games.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I don't think we're deliberately negative, I just don't think the players we have can play another way. They're too limited in the premier league to play more expansively, I just think he is trying to make the most out of what we have.

Midfield is the problem and the more I think about it where we have possibly made another mistake in the transfer window. Improving the midfield was probably just as important as signing a new striker. In the 4-4-1-1, Stephens and Propper are just not dynamic enough, Gross looks shattered and slower every match and our wingers are just too inconsistent and when they are attacking make bad decisions time and time again.

Where I think Hughton could do better is making us slightly less predictable and being more proactive to make changes during the match. We all knew exactly how that games was going to pan out didn't we and I'm sure all of the opposition know as well.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I'm a no, because I don't think we have the tools or the quality to simply 'attack' teams like people believe, especially away from home, especially when the opposition are behind. It is a massive simplification of what happens in a football match. If we could keep the ball better, then we could be more positive, but we don't. Our fullbacks last night panicked in possession in tight spots, our wingers rarely beat their man, our forwards are a bit slow. It is a fantasy that we can simply turn a switch and suddenly attack teams forcing them back when we cannot retain possession well enough - in short we'd be taken apart.

Our achilles heal at present isn't a lack of attack, it is an inability to shut teams out.

All of this. I don't think we were any different last season. The plan even then was don't give anything away, but because we were good, we witnessed plenty of attacking football. The difference is the quality of the opposition in this league.

Claude samdamme

Mar 8, 2014
Yes - last night was poor. I think we’ll still stay up but I’m losing faith with Hughton

Our attacking players are going backwards playing under him this season

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton

Which is caused by not attacking. Anyway, I think what lets us down is when we do successfully defend an attack, we then give the ball away within 5 passes or 20 seconds which leads to another attack and another and another. Eventually, this will lead to the opposition scoring. Just keep hold of the frickin ball, don't panic, slow the tempo down when the opposition are getting back into it. Aim to frustrate them and not build their confidence by letting them have the ball.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I think conservative would be a better definition. We know we can play outrightly attacking football, we've done this season and a lot last.

I do think we need to be more expansive and prepared to take more risks which is why I think conservative is a better word for it than "defensive". The issue is, we can be defensive and offensive but we haven't got the available pace upfront other than Baldock. Why he's not played is anyone's guess, but I would imagine with Lacadia being hopefully available for Stoke away, then we may see us approach games differently.

What we are playing isn't pretty and is tedious but I think this is because of circumstance than a decision made by Hughton who has an abundance of options.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Oh here we go again. ANOTHER opportunity to have a negative, angst-ridden thread full of people moaning that, contrary to the past three years, we suddenly expect Chris to send out a side that commits men forward at will and dang the consequences at the back. This thread is going to be full of people somehow surprised at Chris' tactics, as if they haven't watched a Brighton game for several years, full of people with no football tactical nous whatsoever banging on about how this is sending us down, and a gazillion more over-the-top reactions from people who have just been so completely spoiled by two seasons of winning week in week out they should really go and sit in the corner.

For the record, I never ever expected so many Brighton fans to be turning on Chris Hughton this season. It really makes me angry. And we didn't even F*CKING lose. And there's FIVE F*CKING teams who've had a worse season than us so far.

I thought the Premier League would be hard. I didn't think the hardest part about the Premier League would be coping with my fellow Brighton fans.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
People should be aware this is a public poll.

And you are responding to the question "Are you a THICKO?".

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Time will tell, but his goal this season is to stay up, by any means necessary. Even if that means being ultra cautious and nicking enough points to finish 17th.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes - last night was poor. I think we’ll still stay up but I’m losing faith with Hughton

Our attacking players are going backwards playing under him this season

Going backwards? Murray is on for his best scoring season in the top flight at the age of 34. Knockeart failed to make an impression with Leicester at this level, but does have 2 goals this season. March was always going to struggle, but is he going backwards? Gross has faltered, but his contribution so far cannot be underestimated. Izquierdo, jury is well and truly out, but I always suspected he was going to take some time.

Our forward line is what it is, struggling at this level. Those who have been here before, struggled before. Murray is possibly as good as he's been in his career - that isn't going backwards.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I’d like us to be 25% more positive. Positive without recklessness, a balance.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No - they are pragmatic for the squad we have.

But Strewth do we need our 1st league win of 2018 on Saturday.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here