Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Idiots at away games

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
What are you on ! standing is far worse for view unless your taller than everyone by a head---

Try lowering your eye level to five feet off the ground and see if you think it would be worth the cost of an away trip.

I am luckily of average height, so can shift my view to see most of the time. I also enjoy standing at games but completely understand why it is selfish behaviour to ignore the needs and wishes of others and therefore sat at Wembley because the people behind me wanted to.

The only answer is to provide standing and sitting areas if sitting isn’t going to be enforced. No other answer would actually work all the time a large number insist on standing and assume everyone else is standing because they want to rather than have to.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Personal highlight from the Southampton away support was a group of 5/6 13 year old hard men screaming abuse at the leaving Southampton fans whilst making the most pathetic attempt to get over the segregation.

Instigator appeared to be Screech from saved by the Bell.

Morons.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Personal highlight from the Southampton away support was a group of 5/6 13 year old hard men screaming abuse at the leaving Southampton fans whilst making the most pathetic attempt to get over the segregation.

Instigator appeared to be Screech from saved by the Bell.

Morons.

:lolol:My favourites were a bunch of morons at Walsall shouting and screaming,getting to the bottom of their stand,and waiting for the stewards to usher them back to safety!

Lush

Mods' Pet
Away game etiquette is if you want to sit in your seat or are with elderly relatives/children, don't arrive with 5 mins to spare. This may mean leaving for the match earlier/having fewer pints in the pub. Your choice.

It would be nice if there was a bit more camaraderie towards fellow fans. However, groups of over-excited and over-fuelled teenage lads at their first away game (because it's not too far and they'll be home in time for school tomorrow) are fair game for any dogs abuse that you're brave enough to throw at them IMO.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Sounds like a totally different experience to me, I won't call it bullshit though as you did with me.

Check this (before both goals), I was standing in P4 near the aisle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDm6PJKlQBo

I'm not sure there were any aisles at Fulham!!!!
What a brilliant day out that was.
It's a bit annoying when people squeeze into your row but that's all it is. It happens all the time. I had a **** at Forest last time there, who just kept shouting "SHAPE, SHAPE" every five seconds in my ear. He was pi*sed and I am on the large side but I thought it was a tad rude. Mind you, I had partaken of more than a couple in the Vat and Fiddle earlier.
Away games should be a great day out - you just have to be a bit tolerant and support your team. For the Newbies, dont expect it to be like most of the Amex for home games. If you don't like it just don't go. If everyone sits down there is no atmosphere. An unfortunate fact.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I can guess none probably never stood on a terrace. The new breed of wet wipe fans is depressing.

I’d suggest you guess wrong. Many of those who can’t stand were probably on the terraces while those who ruin the away experience for them were still in nappies!

The difference is that we were allowed to stand on the terrace and those who didn’t want to or couldn’t could go in the seats.

Now we don’t have a choice but to all be thrown in together, so a bit of consideration is all that is being asked for.

I have no time for those that suggest “if you don’t like it, don’t go”. Why should it be your way or no way when it’s actually you who is breaking the conditions of having been sold a ticket in the first place.

We need to all unite and campaign to get segregated seating and standing back, not tell others to put up or shut up.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I’d suggest you guess wrong. Many of those who can’t stand were probably on the terraces while those who ruin the away experience for them were still in nappies!

The difference is that we were allowed to stand on the terrace and those who didn’t want to or couldn’t could go in the seats.

Now we don’t have a choice but to all be thrown in together, so a bit of consideration is all that is being asked for.

I have no time for those that suggest “if you don’t like it, don’t go”. Why should it be your way or no way when it’s actually you who is breaking the conditions of having been sold a ticket in the first place.

We need to all unite and campaign to get segregated seating and standing back, not tell others to put up or shut up.

I do tend to agree with you though the issue is not simple in practice. I can fully understand a whole load of fans having a few (too many) beers on the concourse, and then wanting to be close together at the away end to make as much noise as possible in the belief that it helps the team. And, yes, it is an unwritten rule that at away matches, life is different to the perhaps more subdued atmosphere in some areas at the Amex. But the many replies to the poster suggesting that he man up/don't go/sit earlier to get the seat, are not really acceptable and moral responses. It does smack of mob rule - we don't care about what you want even if you have paid for a seat and expect to sit in it -this is what we are doing and if you don't like it, do one . . I suppose those wanting the poster to man up etc would claim that this is the majority view at away matches and thus the unwritten rule should be applied, even though we don't really know if that is true - how many stand because they simply have to, as opposed to wanting to. On another thread quite some time ago, I wrote about over-hearing a conversation from albion fans boasting that at the away match the week before, they had taken others' seats as there were eight of them as opposed to the other group of three. I suspected then, as now, that this has nothing to do with unwritten rules, just might is right.
Fascinatingly, some (but not all) of the posters urging that the poster does indeed man up etc, are also those who on other threads, for example to do with immigrants and criticism of the Daily Mail, are precisely those who use the anonymity of the internet to present themselves as champions of human decency, urging others, (always others) to be tolerant of other people, and think compassionately, but, surprise surprise, when it comes to their own priorities, are less likely to espouse the virtues they urge on others.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

I do tend to agree with you though the issue is not simple in practice. I can fully understand a whole load of fans having a few (too many) beers on the concourse, and then wanting to be close together at the away end to make as much noise as possible in the belief that it helps the team. And, yes, it is an unwritten rule that at away matches, life is different to the perhaps more subdued atmosphere in some areas at the Amex. But the many replies to the poster suggesting that he man up/don't go/sit earlier to get the seat, are not really acceptable and moral responses. It does smack of mob rule - we don't care about what you want even if you have paid for a seat and expect to sit in it -this is what we are doing and if you don't like it, do one . . I suppose those wanting the poster to man up etc would claim that this is the majority view at away matches and thus the unwritten rule should be applied, even though we don't really know if that is true - how many stand because they simply have to, as opposed to wanting to. On another thread quite some time ago, I wrote about over-hearing a conversation from albion fans boasting that at the away match the week before, they had taken others' seats as there were eight of them as opposed to the other group of three. I suspected then, as now, that this has nothing to do with unwritten rules, just might is right.
Fascinatingly, some (but not all) of the posters urging that the poster does indeed man up etc, are also those who on other threads, for example to do with immigrants and criticism of the Daily Mail, are precisely those who use the anonymity of the internet to present themselves as champions of human decency, urging others, (always others) to be tolerant of other people, and think compassionately, but, surprise surprise, when it comes to their own priorities, are less likely to espouse the virtues they urge on others.

The mob mentality is on both sides though.

On one side you have the by the book, thems the rules, a seat is for sitting types and on the other the hoodlum, modern football is shite, we are helping the team types.

The truth is, by asking someone to sit or by forcing them to stand you could be reducing their enjoyment either way. It is nobody's fault other than those creating and overseeing the utterly farcical rules we abide by because of a bogus report made 40 odd years ago.

Out of the two and in my experience, I would suggest that those who feel people should sit are more commonly ignorant and intransigent on debates about this problem, arguments that they feel are made more legitimate by the fact they (or someone they vaguely know) can't physically stand and/or because they are the rules BY LAW. This problem will continue to persist until such time as we get safe standing areas (even that may not solve it) so we just have to make do with the general fan etiquette ie. stand at the back, sit at the front, don't expect your own seats if you rock up 10mins before KO, don't be a dick to other fans and try to accomodate them if there is enough space.

This thread is altogether too serious for an obvious wind-up post.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
As a matter of interest why didnt club get a greater response to safe standing

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
The mob mentality is on both sides though.

On one side you have the by the book, thems the rules, a seat is for sitting types and on the other the hoodlum, modern football is shite, we are helping the team types.

The truth is, by asking someone to sit or by forcing them to stand you could be reducing their enjoyment either way. It is nobody's fault other than those creating and overseeing the utterly farcical rules we abide by because of a bogus report made 40 odd years ago.

Out of the two and in my experience, I would suggest that those who feel people should sit are more commonly ignorant and intransigent on debates about this problem, arguments that they feel are made more legitimate by the fact they (or someone they vaguely know) can't physically stand and/or because they are the rules BY LAW. This problem will continue to persist until such time as we get safe standing areas (even that may not solve it) so we just have to make do with the general fan etiquette ie. stand at the back, sit at the front, don't expect your own seats if you rock up 10mins before KO, don't be a dick to other fans and try to accomodate them if there is enough space.

This thread is altogether too serious for an obvious wind-up post.

I would hope that your last sentence does not refer to my post -it was certainly not intended as such, as is what you have written. I do agree with you largely though in an all-seater stadium, no one is forced to stand, surely. They may want to, of course, but that is different. There are two sides to this and the solution, of sorts, is as you suggest, namely the general fan etiquette. Ideally, clubs put this information out, notably the front (fill your own number in) rows are strictly for seated fans and the rest stand at the back. But I am certain that this will not happen -I think it would be unlawful, would it not? A difficult situation.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I would hope that your last sentence does not refer to my post -it was certainly not intended as such, as is what you have written. I do agree with you largely though in an all-seater stadium, no one is forced to stand, surely. They may want to, of course, but that is different. There are two sides to this and the solution, of sorts, is as you suggest, namely the general fan etiquette. Ideally, clubs put this information out, notably the front (fill your own number in) rows are strictly for seated fans and the rest stand at the back. But I am certain that this will not happen -I think it would be unlawful, would it not? A difficult situation.

No I was referring to the op which just has to be a wind-up. Agreed with most of what you said in your previous post.

I meant forcing someone behind you to stand by standing yourself or forcing someone in front of you to sit by asking them and citing a false or legitimate disability. Both ways you could be reducing his/her enjoyment was my point.

It would not be legal for the club to hand out that advice unfortunately.

Last edited:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
No I was referring to the op which just has to be a wind-up. Agreed with most of what you said in your previous post.

I meant forcing someone behind you to stand by standing yourself or forcing someone in front of you to sit by asking them and citing a false or legitimate disability. Both ways you could be reducing his/her enjoyment was my point.

It would not be legal for the club to hand out that advice unfortunately.

Thanks. Sorry -it was not until afterwards when I re-read my post, that I realised what you meant.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

This.

If I’m a “wet wipe fan” just because I want to sit in the seat on my ticket or don’t want to stand, then so be it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
This.

If I’m a “wet wipe fan” just because I want to sit in the seat on my ticket or don’t want to stand, then so be it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I really don't think anyone has any problem with people wanting to sit in their seats but as many, may others have said in this thread, the etiquette is that if you want to sit in your seat then arrive early. You can't really start trying to kick people out of your seat when you rock up 5 minutes before kick off.

It's an unwritten rule that's been around for donkey's years and every away fan understands it, or should do.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I really don't think anyone has any problem with people wanting to sit in their seats but as many, may others have said in this thread, the etiquette is that if you want to sit in your seat then arrive early. You can't really start trying to kick people out of your seat when you rock up 5 minutes before kick off.

It's an unwritten rule that's been around for donkey's years and every away fan understands it, or should do.

I suppose the reality is that this has to be the compromise. Not ideal by any means , but perhaps if everyone understands it, then that at least would help.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm not sure there were any aisles at Fulham!!!!
What a brilliant day out that was.
It's a bit annoying when people squeeze into your row but that's all it is. It happens all the time. I had a **** at Forest last time there, who just kept shouting "SHAPE, SHAPE" every five seconds in my ear. He was pi*sed and I am on the large side but I thought it was a tad rude. Mind you, I had partaken of more than a couple in the Vat and Fiddle earlier.
Away games should be a great day out - you just have to be a bit tolerant and support your team. For the Newbies, dont expect it to be like most of the Amex for home games. If you don't like it just don't go. If everyone sits down there is no atmosphere. An unfortunate fact.

Bloody hell, I love videos of that match.

The Dunk winning move will live in memories.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here