Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] James Ward-Prowse

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I thought was the best player on the pitch last night and also in the game at The Amex. I’m amazed Gareth (always pick my old U21 players) Southgate hasn’t given him more senior opportunities. He only has one cap.

I’m also surprised that a 23 year old English player of his callibre is not on more of the big clubs radars

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
I thought was the best player on the pitch last night and also in the game at The Amex. I’m amazed Gareth (always pick my old U21 players) Southgate hasn’t given him more senior opportunities. He only has one cap.

I’m also surprised that a 23 year old English player of his callibre is not on more of the big clubs radars

I tend to agree, especially given the England team doesn't have a set-piece taker... he's one of the best (English) players out there for that

We have Harry Kane for corners and Ward-Prowse is nowhere near the standard of Jake Livermore

???

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Ward-Prowse is the next Southampton player to go and join Liverpool. The physio gave him his debut when they were promoted to the Premier League, he's played a good number of games and if they do go down, he'll have his pick of just about the whole league. Class player who is getting better every year.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'm sorry, I completely disagree. I've seen him a lot and I've come to the conclusion that he is a very poor man's David Beckham, an almost one-trick pony who can take free kicks and corners but not much else. Not very fast, can't tackle or head the ball and can't beat a man. Like some on this thread, I was somewhat taken in by the number of assists he gets, but almost none are from free play, as was pointed out to me by a friend who is a Saints season ticket holder. He told me a while back that he can't understand why Ward-Prowse gets so many games, and once he'd told me that I began to notice how little he actually does in most matches.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Thought he was okay last night, did seem some grumbling from the home fans though when he was on the ball and didn’t release it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I'm sorry, I completely disagree. I've seen him a lot and I've come to the conclusion that he is a very poor man's David Beckham, an almost one-trick pony who can take free kicks and corners but not much else. Not very fast, can't tackle or head the ball and can't beat a man. Like some on this thread, I was somewhat taken in by the number of assists he gets, but almost none are from free play, as was pointed out to me by a friend who is a Saints season ticket holder. He told me a while back that he can't understand why Ward-Prowse gets so many games, and once he'd told me that I began to notice how little he actually does in most matches.

Agreed fwiw. Think perhaps opinions are skewed by the fact that he has taken two free kicks against us that have resulted in goals this season. He doesn't contribute much in open play and rather than have his pick of the whole league I would be surprised if his next move is a step up from Saints.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Considering your credentials, I'm happy to assume I could be wrong about him - but I really think he's a good player. I do like a technical player, and I think if he had more viable options for forward passes he'd be even more dangerous.

Out of interest, do you rate Jordan Henderson? He seems to divide opinion wildly, and I'm curious what your opinion on him is.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Agreed, I think he's average like most of their squad. I think a lot of their fans and pundits etc think their players are a lot better than they are and I'm not at all surprised they're where they are in the table.

His set pieces are excellent though and I'm relieved he had an off night. His free kicks and corners were very poor last night, even the one which led to the goal. If he had that many free kicks and corners in a match again I would expect him to produce more goals than he did last night, especially against our set piece defending.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
decent delivery and a danger every set piece.

also whoever was down the left (our right) first half was causing all sorts of issues.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Boufal came on at HT so no. Incidentally, he is one Saints fans do seem to rate but apart from THAT goal he seems woefully short of end product to my untrained eye.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
He was good in that friendly Saints kids embarrassed us in 4 or 5 years ago.

Memory says that wasn't kids, or certainly a good mixture of first teamers - I remember it as Pella played up front and I put him in my dreamteam based on how good he looked and sure enough he was quality! But yes, they totally dicked on us.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Ward-Prowse is the type of player we will see lots of in the coming years. He's a classic product of the academy system, technically very sound but he is not athletic enough to reach the top top level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here