Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What no Knockaert?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
March wasn't tearing up trees and I'm not sure Izquierdo touched the ball in the second half, yet there was no indication that Knockaert was going to be given a run out at all.

He didn't make the squad v Chelsea and an unused sub today when it felt like we needed to try, well, something or anything in the second half.

I was slightly surprised we didn't see him given a go at some point tonight.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
I love Chris.

I will always love his Chris. But I find his lack of attacking subs/delaying until the last few mins of match utterly baffling. When our inverted wingers are such a massive part of how we play I just don’t understand why they’re not subbed when looking totally out on their feet.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I love Chris.

I will always love his Chris. But I find his lack of attacking subs/delaying until the last few mins of match utterly baffling. When our inverted wingers are such a massive part of how we play I just don’t understand why they’re not subbed when looking totally out on their feet.

Or switching them, just to give the opposition full backs something different to think about. Remember March on the left at Birmingham last season. Would it be so ridiculous to give him 15 minutes there at some point during a game like tonight?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I love Chris.

I think its easy to understand - he doesn't want to disrupt our defensive shape & understanding by making certain subs late on in games, presumably considering that the odds of a sub making a positive attacking change are less than the odds of us conceding at the other end as a result, particularly in an away game where we are under pressure and have a valuable point on the line (we'd have been in the relegation zone if we'd lost)

Whether one agrees with this is of course up to them, but the logic makes sense

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
March wasn't tearing up trees and I'm not sure Izquierdo touched the ball in the second half, yet there was no indication that Knockaert was going to be given a run out at all.

He didn't make the squad v Chelsea and an unused sub today when it felt like we needed to try, well, something or anything in the second half.

We said exactly the same. I caused mild excitement when I said it looked like he was coming on - then the sub stood up and it was Kayal :facepalm:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We said exactly the same. I caused mild excitement when I said it looked like he was coming on - then the sub stood up and it was Kayal :facepalm:
[MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] got excited when Izquierdo crossed with his left foot. It was Bong.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

I hope he plays on Saturday.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
[MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] got excited when Izquierdo crossed with his left foot. It was Bong.

I did. It was. :facepalm:

I just want Izquierdo to use his pace to take his man on, get to the byline and swing a cross in with his left foot.

It’s not going to happen, is it?

On AK - did anyone notice that he was the last sub off the pitch at half time? He walked very slowly back to the touch line, constantly looking over his shoulder at the away fans. My interpretation was that he was looking for some adulation. A little bit needy. Want some adulation? Perform like you did last season, and the adulation will flow.

That said, I would have brought him on - Solly wasn’t giving us too much; he’d have offered something different.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Just lacking that bit of genius to unlock the defence 2nd half. AK can do that at times.
March won the penalty, so cant be to harsh. Izquierdo despite some important contributions at times doesn't look like a 13M player to me.

Last edited:

fleet

Jul 28, 2003

Was nothing to lose we had two wingers doing nothing - even if AK did nothing that would be status quo.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Or switching them, just to give the opposition full backs something different to think about. Remember March on the left at Birmingham last season. Would it be so ridiculous to give him 15 minutes there at some point during a game like tonight?

They did switch with 10 minutes to go.

But agree that Jose was completely anonymous with terrible decision making on the rare occasions he got the ball. Very surprised AK didn't come on.

Also he is a vastly better finisher that Jose. Another reason why he should be playing.

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
Just lacking that bit of genius to unlock the defence 2nd half. AK can do that at times.
March won the penalty, so cant be to harsh. Izquierdo despite some important contributions at times doesn't look like a 13M player to me.

How good does 13 million get you in the transfer window now? He probably is a 13 million player given the crazy inflation but would have been a 5 million player at the beginning of the decade

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I love Chris.

However the tactic did gain us a point a point that keeps us in the pack and not adrift of the pack and we do have another very important game in two days time.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Actually I think CH was saving his best winger for Wet Sham

I think Knocky has been on the naughty step for a while..
Hopefully it is excellent man management and we will see better performances from him because of it.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
They did switch with 10 minutes to go.

But agree that Jose was completely anonymous with terrible decision making on the rare occasions he got the ball. Very surprised AK didn't come on.

Also he is a vastly better finisher that Jose. Another reason why he should be playing.
The problem is teams mark Jose out the game in the 2nd half. He had 3 to 4 players round him every time he got the ball. Both march and BK, when he came on had loads of space on the other side. Fustrating that 2 or 3 times march recieved the ball in space and ran into trouble. BK was more interested in winning free kicks than trying to stay on his feet.

Looks like Murray needs to come off earlier. No one is worrying about muzza second half. Just players freed up to stifle somewhere else.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here