Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What no Knockaert?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I love Knocky, but I am starting to see why he vanished so quickly at Leicester when they got promoted. As mentioned earlier, he DOES want that adulation, he wants to be th main man, he wants to feel like he is bossing his full back. As with all confidence players, especially flair ones, when that goes it can be a vicious circle. Tougher opponents, don't feel so dominant, the adulation drops, your confidence wanes a little, and your performance drops, making you even less likely to dominate your full back etc.

I think that happened very quickly at Leicester, probably because he was younger and less able to deal with it, plus the likes of Mahrez appearing in the squad would have obviously knocked him down a peg. I really hope we can see the old Knocky swagger for the run in, because we need it, we need him at his best, but you can clearly see that the step up is a big challenge for him.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The truth is that Knocky simply hasn’t delivered in the Prem, found his level in championship
He tore Watford to shreds, excellent away at Old Trafford, decent at home against West Brom, I can't even bothered to put the rest. He's fine at this level and will be better next season if we stay up.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He tore Watford to shreds, excellent away at Old Trafford, decent at home against West Brom, I can't even bothered to put the rest. He's fine at this level and will be better next season if we stay up.

He will, the ankle injury in pre-season did not help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
They did switch with 10 minutes to go.

But agree that Jose was completely anonymous with terrible decision making on the rare occasions he got the ball. Very surprised AK didn't come on.

Also he is a vastly better finisher that Jose. Another reason why he should be playing.

Not really. March took a woeful corner from the left which they countered from. As a result, March had to stay on the left for two or three minutes until they could switch back

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not sure what game the March-bashers were watching.

He was more than adequate. Up there with Dunk as our best player on the night, tbh.

The fact he spent a lot of time pinned back, defending, isn't his FAULT, you know?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003

He was more than adequate. Up there with Dunk as our best player on the night, tbh.

The fact he spent a lot of time pinned back, defending, isn't his FAULT, you know?

Exactly. Played most of the game as right back, but still looked dangerous going forward. Schilotto just looks lost in a back 4.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
He did start well and also IMO he was harshly dropped.

He gets pushed into the LB and RB position and Bruno, Suttner, Bong and Schelotto should be in his ear pushing him up.

But, can’t tackle (the free-kick was stupidity). His crossing is so poor, his first touch is to slow the play down, rather than making an incisive movement.

For me he doesn’t warrant a starting place.

A few things. I wasn’t at the game last night but I’ve been to all home games this season and some away so I’ve seen enough to judge.

The idea that he can’t tackle is a strange one. I’d say all of our wide men work very hard defensively and get through so much more work than should ever be expected at this level of a player in their position, and March has been very good this season defensively, often covering for Bong and Suttner to a point that he may as well be playing at full back.

His first touch definitely isn’t on point at the moment, but how many of our attacking players are being incisive with their first touch now? I’d argue none of them, mainly because so much is expected from so fewer opportunities and usually because the lack of movement from teammates doesn’t give them space to drive into.

As for his crossing, all of our wide men have spent most of this season aiming at one striker in the box, which is often occupied by numerous defenders (we’ve played against back 3s fairly regularly). So expecting even a 1 in 10 hit rate is optimistic.

Don’t get me wrong, March isn’t playing brilliantly at the moment (although he was good against Chelsea last home game), but it’s hard to argue any of our attackers are. To single one player out, as is increasingly happening to March on here, seems senseless and lacking in logic.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

I totally agree with this. At the end of the match I felt Dunk and March were our standout performers. Not least,in March's case, because he defended well, chased back all the time and still managed togo forward with purpose on a number of occasions.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I love Knocky, but I am starting to see why he vanished so quickly at Leicester when they got promoted. As mentioned earlier, he DOES want that adulation, he wants to be th main man, he wants to feel like he is bossing his full back. As with all confidence players, especially flair ones, when that goes it can be a vicious circle. Tougher opponents, don't feel so dominant, the adulation drops, your confidence wanes a little, and your performance drops, making you even less likely to dominate your full back etc.

I think that happened very quickly at Leicester, probably because he was younger and less able to deal with it, plus the likes of Mahrez appearing in the squad would have obviously knocked him down a peg. I really hope we can see the old Knocky swagger for the run in, because we need it, we need him at his best, but you can clearly see that the step up is a big challenge for him.

I was SO happy it was him that scored that goal v Bournemouth. Felt he needed it massively and would kick on from there. Hopefully he'll get another chance to do so against West Ham this weekend.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I did. It was. :facepalm:

I just want Izquierdo to use his pace to take his man on, get to the byline and swing a cross in with his left foot.

It’s not going to happen, is it?

On AK - did anyone notice that he was the last sub off the pitch at half time? He walked very slowly back to the touch line, constantly looking over his shoulder at the away fans. My interpretation was that he was looking for some adulation. A little bit needy. Want some adulation? Perform like you did last season, and the adulation will flow.

That said, I would have brought him on - Solly wasn’t giving us too much; he’d have offered something different.

The best thing that Solly did was to earn us the penalty.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
A few things. I wasn’t at the game last night but I’ve been to all home games this season and some away so I’ve seen enough to judge.

The idea that he can’t tackle is a strange one. I’d say all of our wide men work very hard defensively and get through so much more work than should ever be expected at this level of a player in their position, and March has been very good this season defensively, often covering for Bong and Suttner to a point that he may as well be playing at full back.

His first touch definitely isn’t on point at the moment, but how many of our attacking players are being incisive with their first touch now? I’d argue none of them, mainly because so much is expected from so fewer opportunities and usually because the lack of movement from teammates doesn’t give them space to drive into.

As for his crossing, all of our wide men have spent most of this season aiming at one striker in the box, which is often occupied by numerous defenders (we’ve played against back 3s fairly regularly). So expecting even a 1 in 10 hit rate is optimistic.

Don’t get me wrong, March isn’t playing brilliantly at the moment (although he was good against Chelsea last home game), but it’s hard to argue any of our attackers are. To single one player out, as is increasingly happening to March on here, seems senseless and lacking in logic.

Some good points.

See, I don’t think he tracks anything like adequately, often ball watching, the same could be argued at Knockaert at the start of the season, so much so, he received a rollicking from Rosenoir at Bournemouth. Also, Izquierdo has struggled in that respect. At this level it is an essential part of the game. Solly IMO, rarely gets himself in a position to ‘double-bank’ an attacker, as he seems to lose his bearing positionally. The difference is Knockaert has improved in this aspect, as has Izquierdo, whereas Solly hasn’t (again IMO).

The tackling (sorry I wasn’t very clear), is literally losing out in situations that start off as 60/40 in his favour, which of course is frustrating to watch. I guess if he bulked up he could lose something else.

The touch maybe a confidence thing, perhaps he feels he can beat people from a standing start, over the first 5 yards. Both Knocky and Izquierdo when they receive the ball make a decision before its arrived. As you say fewer opportunities, but therefore important to get it right.

The crossing point is fair comment, but Solly has to beat the first man with his delivery, which he failed to do last evening and it is the weakest part of his game.

Schelotto and Bong hit some good balls towards the near post (and I know we disagree on this [emoji2]) but Murray had drifted towards the back post, and did not deviate his run. Ulloa got a lot closer as his movement is better IMO. If Solly hit the type of cross he did at Birmingham away who knows?

So easy in the stands and as you say he was on fire at the start of the season.....

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Blimey.

You really did watch a different game to me.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I also totally agree with this, and am really pleased others have responded similarly. He really restricted one of the best left backs in the PL to few opportunities, and won countless tackles against him. He won our penalty, and numerous free kicks. There were a few good runs too, and it's difficult for opponents to read what he's going to do and where he's going to go, in stark contrast to the fella on the other wing. Granted, he hit that frustrating corner, and conceded the free kick that led to the goal.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Has Izquierdo actually put in a cross with either feet? Has he ever gone on the outside?

I do hope there aren't posts from you drooling at Jose's Youtube videos, on signing day.
From memory they're all about 90%, cut inside, with occasional passes when marked into the touchline by about 3 opposition players.

He just isn't 'that' type of winger, and he certainly isn't going to be coached into that player during the first half of the toughest season of football he's ever played.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Might have something to do with Bruno not playing? Him and Knockaert have a certain way of playing and he may not be compatible with Schelotto's style..

Reckon you're on to something. Bruno has a slight back problem apparently but should be back in action in a couple of games time. Will be interesting to see if when Bruno returns if Knockaert does too.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I love Chris.

I will always love his Chris. But I find his lack of attacking subs/delaying until the last few mins of match utterly baffling. When our inverted wingers are such a massive part of how we play I just don’t understand why they’re not subbed when looking totally out on their feet.

Solly was ****ed last night and needed to be freshended up but Chris decided agaisnt it. Totally baffiling. Norwich fans comments really starting to ring true in the Premier League.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here