Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Glenn Murray

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Very true - got to see Ward in my first ever visit to the Goldstone, he scored in a dull 1 - 1 draw v Watford New Year's Day '83 and was back on Loan. After that the next strikers that stuck in my mind were Nelson and Bremner and then a looooooong gap it seemed until Bobby Z.

Think you've missed Lee Steele :lolol:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I have always absolutely loved Glenn, (first time round and his second coming), never a player to seek the limelight, absoluely hates being interviewed, just comes in, does his job of scoring goals, then goes home after the game. His goals are very rarely screamers or scored from distance, often no more than just toe pokes or headers over the line, but who cares how they are scored?

I'd go as far as to say that if Glenn was 5 years younger, he could make the full England squad, such is or death of quality strikers.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
GM has always scored goals for us, which is what his job is, for some reason this has never been enough for some fans, which puzzles me. A footballer is a job, as was seen with BZs comments on Saturday "I'm a West ham fan", always was, even when adored by us, but he did what he was paid for when with us, scored goals.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Nothing better than a snarling Glenn Murray battering and tormenting an opposing defence at the Amex.

Wonderful finish for his goal, making it 5 from 7 games in 2018 (apologies if you've just read that stat on the other thread I wrote it on).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
GM has always scored goals for us, which is what his job is, for some reason this has never been enough for some fans, which puzzles me. A footballer is a job, as was seen with BZs comments on Saturday "I'm a West ham fan", always was, even when adored by us, but he did what he was paid for when with us, scored goals.

i can solve this puzzle. shortly after he came here first he seemed to want away pining for girl, and this is something generally not allowed in football. seen much higher ranked players than Murray fail to connect with players due to being "homesick", its perceived as an excuse or a slight against your town. not something i agree with, just observation of it. then he had that languid style and two things put together made for impression he didn't want to be here.

contrast with Zamora, who ran around like a demon, even injured, no one cares if you declared allegiance for boyhood team.

so yeah, i suppose the puzzle is why so many care in that way and dont appreciate the results rather than the temperament, personality etc. i suppose it comes down to wanting a hero a leader, and Murray just doesn't have that quality.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
so yeah, i suppose the puzzle is why so many care in that way and dont appreciate the results rather than the temperament, personality etc. i suppose it comes down to wanting a hero a leader, and Murray just doesn't have that quality.

I'd say he keeps everyone nicely grounded, a model pro who leads by example.

I'm certain that if Gus had given him a contract we'd already have a season or two in the PL and he would have overtaken Bobby in legendary status.

Already has in my book, BZ was a light in a dark time but Murray is the one who has come up with the goods in two key promotions, is getting the goals in the top tier that may keep us up and has lived down here for some time.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
i can solve this puzzle. shortly after he came here first he seemed to want away pining for girl, and this is something generally not allowed in football. seen much higher ranked players than Murray fail to connect with players due to being "homesick", its perceived as an excuse or a slight against your town. not something i agree with, just observation of it. then he had that languid style and two things put together made for impression he didn't want to be here.

contrast with Zamora, who ran around like a demon, even injured, no one cares if you declared allegiance for boyhood team.

It's all about how we judge "heroes" and our perceptions of others, from my perspective he scores goals and gives his all on the pitch, that's good enough for me.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Well that's the opposite to what he said when being interviewed on BBC Sussex.

I imagine poor Bobby is feeling rather torn, born in the East End, and brought up as an Irons fan, played for them too of course, but conversely is hero worshipped here, and spent the first, and last part, of his career with us.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Murray's goals will be the prime reason why we'll survive in the top flight despite all the 'expert' pundit predictions.

You don't need youth or pace when you instinctively know how to score.

He's getting better as he gets older.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Finally those guys were right when they said Murray was nowhere near Championship quality...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Murray's goals will be the prime reason why we'll survive in the top flight despite all the 'expert' pundit predictions.

You don't need youth or pace when you instinctively know how to score.

He's getting better as he gets older.

After some long term injuries in his career and given his age, Muzza gives the impression that he’s making the most of every minute playing PL football. Long time retired and all that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here