Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Glenn Murray

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
89 goals, in total, for Albion now. Just one behind Bobby Zamora and closing on the top two in my time, Kit Napier(99) and Peter Ward (95) Anybody think he might crack the ton ? I'm not expecting it this season, but he has another year on his contract, I believe.

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
I think he will do it if he stays for the duration of his contract, but definitely not this season

Oct 25, 2003
it's interesting as I still don't think he's quite as adored by Brighton fans in general as Zamora is but you could argue that he's had a more successful Albion career than BZ. Obviously his time as Palace tainted his reputation somewhat but even in his first spell he'd get a LOT of criticism

Zamora represented a bit of a 'phoenix from the flames' period at the club and for fans of a certain generation (mine included) he was the first good player we'd seen at the club

Murray has played more games for us overall and scored more goals in the top 2 divisions for us than Zamora did- plus he got the goals to help us to promotion

it's interesting as I still don't think he's quite as adored by Brighton fans in general as Zamora is but you could argue that he's had a more successful Albion career than BZ. Obviously his time as Palace tainted his reputation somewhat but even in his first spell he'd get a LOT of criticism

Zamora represented a bit of a 'phoenix from the flames' period at the club and for fans of a certain generation (mine included) he was the first good player we'd seen at the club

Murray has played more games for us overall and scored more goals in the top 2 divisions for us than Zamora did- plus he got the goals to help us to promotion

Very true - got to see Ward in my first ever visit to the Goldstone, he scored in a dull 1 - 1 draw v Watford New Year's Day '83 and was back on Loan. After that the next strikers that stuck in my mind were Nelson and Bremner and then a looooooong gap it seemed until Bobby Z.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
89 goals, in total, for Albion now. Just one behind Bobby Zamora and closing on the top two in my time, Kit Napier(99) and Peter Ward (95) Anybody think he might crack the ton ? I'm not expecting it this season, but he has another year on his contract, I believe.

Very interesting when you realise the legendary status of Bobby and Wardy. Any ideas on how their goals per game ratio compare ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Very interesting when you realise the legendary status of Bobby and Wardy. Any ideas on how their goals per game ratio compare ?

Bobby way ahead

name, games, goals, ratio

Bobby Zamora 151 83 0.55
Fred Binney 70 35 0.5
Alex Dawson 57 26 0.46
Peter Ward 178 79 0.44
Glenn Murray 185 82 0.44
Willy Irvine 55 21 0.38
Garry Nelson 144 47 0.33
Kit Napier 256 84 0.32

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Zamora's is better marginally better than Ward's- and he played in a poor team in the second division. Murray's is better than both at that level.

As blasphemous as it sounds, I do feel that if Peter Ward had played in a Brighton team that hadn't been on its first journey to the upper level he wouldn't have been quite so lauded as he is.

He did have a very good first season at the top level though. That's what sets him aside.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Bobby way ahead

Bobby Zamora 151 83 0.55
Fred Binney 70 35 0.5
Alex Dawson 57 26 0.46
Peter Ward 178 79 0.44
Glenn Murray 185 82 0.44
Willy Irvine 55 21 0.38
Garry Nelson 144 47 0.33
Kit Napier 256 84 0.32

Kurt Nogan 97 49 (0.50)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I forgot about him. Oh no (no, no no no no, no no no no, no no no no Nogan)! :lolol:

Twas such a dull period. He would have made the best scoring ratio had he left the club earlier. Seem to recall he went a long time without scoring before Burnley came in- thus his value dropped.. Was linked with a move to Liverpool at his height.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Kurt Nogan was my first Brighton hero, his scoring record was incredible considering his barren spell at the end. Looking at Alex Dawson record its identical to Ulloa.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
A partnership that rarely gets mentioned is Mike Small and John Byrne also Garry Nelson was one of my favourite Brighton strikers. Zamora and award were exciting strikers. Murray is hardworking and efficient and a very good player but not the type to get you on your feet in anticipation.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Zamora's is better marginally better than Ward's- and he played in a poor team in the second division. Murray's is better than both at that level.

As blasphemous as it sounds, I do feel that if Peter Ward had played in a Brighton team that hadn't been on its first journey to the upper level he wouldn't have been quite so lauded as he is.

He did have a very good first season at the top level though. That's what sets him aside.

Burn the disbeliever

Bobby way ahead

Bobby Zamora 151 83 0.55
Fred Binney 70 35 0.5
Alex Dawson 57 26 0.46
Peter Ward 178 79 0.44
Glenn Murray 185 82 0.44
Willy Irvine 55 21 0.38
Garry Nelson 144 47 0.33
Kit Napier 256 84 0.32

Interesting - I wonder how many top flight goals Ward got in that total

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Twas such a dull period. He would have made the best scoring ratio had he left the club earlier. Seem to recall he went a long time without scoring before Burnley came in- thus his value dropped..

Indeed. My first ever game was against Birmingham at the Goldstone in 94. Just checked, it was in October. Nogan had already scored 10 goals. He missed a one on one in front of the North Stand in that game and I don't think he ever scored for us again. I went to 12 games before I saw us win.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
In the top flight Peter Ward scored 19 goals in 68 appearances
16 of them were in our first season - 41 starts

Well Murray won't score another 9 goals in 13 games sadly. Saying that though I think strikers score less now days and if he got to 12 goals this season then he's had a great season. Ulloa scored 11 goals for Leicester in his first season so I'm hoping he can get us another 3 or 4 goals this season.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

That's a bit of a nonsense really, it was partly BECAUSE of the goals Ward scored that we made our rise from Third to First divisions so quickly. I dont think Ward is revered by Albion fans for having a good season in the top flight either. It was the way he came into the team and deposed the equally prolific Binney and the way he tore defences apart.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Most of Murrays goals appear to be flukes and penalties . . . They all count but he's nowhere near as stylish a striker as many.

John Byrne was quality
Nelson was good
I forgot about Nogan, but he did the business for a while
Robinson/Ritchie had moments at the top level

Frank Worthington anyone :lolol:

Ward and BZ will always be up there.

Maybe in 2 years when we're fighting for a Euro spot we'll add Locadia to this list?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here