Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] This squad should have enough to stay up

Err. We need 14 points from the remaining 13 games. Every away point is gold dust.

I don’t think a point a game is enough this season. It’s so close this year. Probably the closest it’s been in years. Other teams are gaining momentum and we have a tough run in. I think we’ll need at least 40 points, so we need to start winning a few.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
NOOORRRWWWWIIIICCCCCHHHHHHH

It's getting louder.
If it happens it needs to happen soon. On current form, confidence and momentum we are done for. Hughton is a good man but his coaching at this level is looking to be lacking. Maybe he needs a refresher course in attacking football?

And no, that isn't moaning: it is an opinion based on what I've seen this season. I am fed up watching us take the lead then invite the opposition to attack us at will and throw valuable points away.

And no, I'm not interested in supporting Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal or any other club.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If it happens it needs to happen soon. On current form, confidence and momentum we are done for. Hughton is a good man but his coaching at this level is looking to be lacking. Maybe he needs a refresher course in attacking football?

And no, that isn't moaning: it is an opinion based on what I've seen this season. I am fed up watching us take the lead then invite the opposition to attack us at will and throw valuable points away.

And no, I'm not interested in supporting Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal or any other club.

I'm just amazed by the symmetry.
I didn't really have any in depth knowledge of CH on his arrival.
I didn't warm to him until the start of his full season.
Then I very quickly dismissed the Norwich words of 'warning' we got.
When the fixtures were announced I saw the run in and instantly thought 'that's a bit Norwichy'.
From then on the word Norwich has been like a car with no exhaust heading towards me from 10 miles away.

He's the very best Albion manager.
I've convinced myself all of the teams ills are striker related.
Fingers crossed that'll be proven to be right, although it'll not take too many more odd selections/substitutions before that car is revving outside my house.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
This squad should have enough to stay up

£ 60 000 000 invested this season. That is a lot and this team should have enough to stay up. You cannot say Bloom has not got his wallet out. After 1 win in 14 what is going wrong, not happpening ? When I see results others have got why is it not happening at the moment ? Bournemouth went to chelsea and won 3 0, swansea beat liverpool and arsenal back to back.Other teams seem to believe we can get points from the top 6. Players ? Manager ?

Your call

Easy other teams attack and take it too them we don’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

el punal

Just read two pages of this thread. On that basis I think I'll just get the old razor blade out and slit my wrists now. Jeez! Talk about f***ing doom and gloom. By the way, if you want proper football doom and gloom read some of the Saints fans comments. Welcome to Big Girl's Blouse Day!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Those that wish we attacked more - with whom? Our ineffective wingers who gift the keeper catching practice when they are finally able to get a cross in? Our ponderous forwards?

I don't wish we attacked more last night - I wish we defended better!! For all Saints possession they had few chances. Silly silly free kick to give away for the equaliser and a defendable ball in. We took the lead away from home, nothing wrong with defending it, and we should have seen it out.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Just read two pages of this thread. On that basis I think I'll just get the old razor blade out and slit my wrists now. Jeez! Talk about f***ing doom and gloom. By the way, if you want proper football doom and gloom read some of the Saints fans comments. Welcome to Big Girl's Blouse Day!

Chill out mate, couple of wins and we will all be :rave: To be fair Southampton were poor. :lolol:

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Those that wish we attacked more - with whom? Our ineffective wingers who gift the keeper catching practice when they are finally able to get a cross in? Our ponderous forwards?

I don't wish we attacked more last night - I wish we defended better!! For all Saints possession they had few chances. Silly silly free kick to give away for the equaliser and a defendable ball in. We took the lead away from home, nothing wrong with defending it, and we should have seen it out.

You've just about summed us up, toothless up front and crap at defending a lead. ???

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The league table does not lie we have a squad and ability equal to all the teams in and around the bottom seven. It’s about grinding out points and a bit of luck as this season it will be incredibly tight margins that decide who goes down and who stays up. Going to be an exciting but stressful watch for us over the coming months

el punal

Chill out mate, couple of wins and we will all be :rave: To be fair Southampton were poor. :lolol:

I know, we could have put the game to bed in the first half hour then sat back. Saints were dire but could have so easily sneaked a win had they got their act together.

I can understand Albion fans being frustrated, as I am, for not going for the jugular when we needed to. On the other side of the coin our defence looked solid enough which is why I get irritated when our fans seem to have thrown the towel in about our chances of staying up. We drew last night, not lose, and subsequently went up the table.

The West Ham and Stoke games coming up could well decide our fortunes. With Leo back in the fold and Locadia to start it, at last, means that we have striker options that have been missing thus far - so a positive outlook there.

Hopefully with those two games the result will mean a case of :rave: Fingers crossed!

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Unfortunately it’s down to the man who we all love and want to do so well in this league, but his defensive style is destroying us in this league.

Tonight we took the lead, up until that point we were pretty much in charge. Then we got a penalty (never a penalty in a million years btw) and then just sat back and invited pressure upon pressure on to the team. We should be going for the kill rather than trying to and then failing to sit on a one goal advantage.

We are not as fit as Burnley and we can't chase shadows for 90 minutes, so it make sense to conserve our energy a bit and bring on a new forward at 66 minutes after starting strongly in the second half (important).

Strangely, there is a quirk in Stoke's stats when they do better in the middle of the game, esp at home.

I don't think playing two wingers is defensive. I'm not sure it works too well against the better sides. Too attacking.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I don't think playing two wingers is defensive. I'm not sure it works too well against the better sides. Too attacking.

two wingers can still be part of a defensive set up if the rest of the attack is too slow, so they have few options and in any case favor the "cut inside" malarky. if wingers can provide enough threat to pin back the opposition (their full backs and wingers dont venture too far) without necessarily being offensive, thats a semi-defensive use.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Hands up!

I got it wrong.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Originally Posted by TSB View Post
It's been rocky, as you know.
Ask me again after we play the two teams we've already beaten away from home.
They could put us on 31+ points with 10 to play and relative safety.

Originally Posted by Uncle Spielberg View Post
Will do

Well...ask me.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am beginning to think that we could stay up as Locadia will; score goals be it from starting or from the bench. He showed against Swansea what we have been missing; a man to lurk and score from a loose ball in the 6 yd box by anticipating where the ball will land.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here