Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Grid girls scrapped from F1 races..

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Kilometre 0 – The Podium Girls Debate
Jan Bakelants' ill-judged comments about podium girls in a newspaper interview just before the Tour de France reignited the debate about whether it's time the do away with the tradition.

Orla Chennaoui looks at both sides, speaking to the women who do the job to find out what's involved and how they feel about their role on the Tour.

https://www.acast.com/telegraphcycling/kilometre-0--the-podium-girls-debate

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
It's not stupid to want too look at hot women at sporting events. It's what nature and biological forces dictate of us.

Going against nature is just going to create a whole generation of effeminate internally confused men.

sull-gazing-com-arguing-with-idiots-is-like-playing-chess-with-a-19898881.png

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Nature dictates we want too see them everywhere we go.

Does it really, yes some women are beautiful granted but we don't need to see them scantily clad to basically sell you something are you really that shallow that is how your mind works.
Are we not evolving, are we not supposed to be more socially aware, your weakness are basically being exploited to sell you something.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Once again, DAVE, you are the voice of reason. 98% of people couldn't give a monkeys either, including me. The sponsored traffic will still be the sponsored traffic and the only thing left to enjoy about this is the delicious irony that a so called victory for modern feminism was likely achieved by Arab oil money.

Its always about the money. Quite ironic when the you see the po-faced statement from FIA saying "the practice of employing grid girls has been a staple of Formula 1 grands prix for decades, we feel this custom does not resonate with our brand values and clearly is at odds with modern day societal norms"

- and yet they clearly have absolutely no issue with taking their Grand Prix circus to places like Bahrain, given the appalling human rights issues in that country.

Grid Girls - BAD for our brand values
Torture and ethnic cleansing - meh, we'll live with it

Ultimately, as you say...money talks.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Interesting; I have just looked on another club's fans forum and in one and a half hours there have been 5 comments on this topic and none of them are expressing the kind of attitudes expressed by the 'outraged' community here.
Only on NSC, over 200 comments. It just wouldn't happen anywhere else.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Everything that's promoted these days is about telling young girls how wonderful they are and how shit young boys are. Stop pushing that bullshit false narrative that women are nothing more than victims and how hard they have it these days.

You do understand roughly 50% of the worlds population is a female and the horrors they endure throughout the world everyday just because they are women.
If we were talking about any minority or ethnic race, you would be right behind them telling is how racist we all are.

You're so full of shit it's not funny.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Yes I get what you are saying. But girls have choices to go into other careers too. My daughter has a good education and has a professional job/career.

Those who are happy to do this, can as far as I am concerned. I don't think the example they set to society is a negative one. It would only be bad for society if that was the only roles available to women.

It really is not that simple though is it. This is not just about available roles for women, they can do any job they like if they can get that job. They won't be paid as well and will find it harder to get promoted though obviously.

If there were men appearing as eye candy at all women's sporting events, as well as equal pay for women, equal rights globally for women and equal chance of being promoted for women, then probably no one would bat an an eyelid about the fact that some women appear scantily clad at various sporting events for the titillation of men, but as that is not the case then it is probably for the best that we drop this pointless custom.

Again it is not these women who are setting the bad example, but the overall impression is that, especially for the young. You need to take your view away from the actual women standing on the track, and think more broadly about women in general.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Rights are not the same thing as respect and equity. There is the employment angle of course, but there is also a much wider issue of perception.

What is the wider issue then? Hamilton won't enter into this debate because he's too busy apparently despite posting at length. What message is being conveyed here?

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
I remember a scantily clad Marlboro girl giving me loads of free cigarettes once at The European Grand Prix at Brands Hatch.
I still look back as she handed me a free packet with far too many buttons undone on her shirt that smoking really was a filthy habit.

1985, Mansell's first victory ? Fantastic day

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
What is the wider issue then? Hamilton won't enter into this debate because he's too busy apparently despite posting at length. What message is being conveyed here?

See previous posts from edna, Pantini, father-and-son for very good explanations of the wider issues as it's all already been clearly stated. I'm not trying to be evasive, I just don't see the point of restating it all.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Hang on...nature dictates we need to see attractive women whilst we are watching cars go around a track? Must have missed that bit of Biology at school...

Look, what's the point in building these surrogate penis extensions if there's not any attractive women around for the people to imagine plunging it into?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I wouldn't say you're an idiot.

You just have zero clue about what you're talking about. Simply spinning the same tired old crap feminists spin.

Are you female?

1. I am saying you are an idiot.

2. I did psychology as part of my degree, so I do have a few clues about the effects of media and social conditioning on the development of personality.

3. My user name is "Father_And_Son".... I refer you to point 1.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here