Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Grid girls scrapped from F1 races..

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Lmao holy shit I'd love you to have this conversation with a bunch of sorority girls, they'd laugh you out of the room.

I have actually and some yes one or two of them I know do not see anything wrong with it, and the majority know it is sexist and wrong. Side note obviously I am talking about people who have been through the system so too speak and in my opinion those that said they saw nothing wrong with it are trust fund girls now married to rich youngish men, and are stay at home mums with nannies etc. Maybe not a cross section just the people who I am related to through marriage.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Who is banning it? I cannot see any post where someone is advocating banning it. The powers that be in F1, have taken the decision to drop it, so we are debating their decision.

Promo girls are also models so they can earn their living modelling. Being a promo girl is just a small part of their livelihood.

Ha -ha, weasel words, Thunderbolt.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Whether its TV contracts or Feminazis (how old are you, 11?) money talks in sport as I am sure you know (I assume you know). The TV contract people, the F1 people, the darts people etc. have all reached the point whereby it is commercially beneficial to not having half naked women parading around. That's progress, just as it isnt commercially beneficial for companies to still manufacture Betamax equipment its no longer commercially beneficial having half naked women parading around.

:lolol: ok mate

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Yes I get what you are saying. But girls have choices to go into other careers too. My daughter has a good education and has a professional job/career.

Those who are happy to do this, can as far as I am concerned. I don't think the example they set to society is a negative one. It would only be bad for society if that was the only roles available to women.

EXACTLY. I can't see them putting their heels away and joining the NHS somehow

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
So does what all the gold digging ho's do too. I'd say gold diggers are a bigger problem in society than grid girls when it comes to the perception of women.

Yet those that protest the likes of grid girls never say anything about the gold diggers.

Yes, I guess gold-diggers do damage perception of women, but I don't see what the point of your argument is. Cancer kills more people than Ebola. Your logic seems to be - "Let's not do any research into curing Ebola until we have cured Cancer" !?!?

You solve problems because they are problems... you don't rank all the problems in society and then only try to solve them in a strict sequence!

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
And your telling me that the next gen are so ****ing thick that the site of grid girls will confuse them as to how society should treat woman, and each other ? :wozza:

This is the key point though isn't it? The fact is that children and young people ARE influenced by the social norms and stereotypes they grow up with. My formative years were the 70s and 80s and that very much shaped my views and behaviour. I came to realise through experience, getting older and (hopefully) a bit wiser, and by sometimes being directly or indirectly challenged that yes, some of my former behaviour and views was / were sexist. I'm certain that at a tender age regularly seeing things like the ring girls on World of Sport during the wrestling had something to do with all of that. If you can start children and young people off in life with more positive and balanced messages that's got to be progress.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Without wishing to repeat myself from the Darts thread, the owners have made a commercial decision that walk on/grid girls have had their day and are not having them anymore. No elected body has banned them.

TBH I imagine their will be more than enough work for the ladies involved with other non-grid promotion in and around the Grand Prix weekend.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cycling, unsurprisingly, is a bit of a bugger for this.
Not only does it have 'podium girls' but each Grand Tour jersey has it's own 'girl' too.

I doubt I'll be able to find it but I did listen to an interview with one of the ladies, in question.
She'd be absolutely gutted to lose her job, as the benefits, travel, language skills, representing 'the company' plus the countless other jobs that make up her day, away from the camera, means she has a very enjoyable job.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I find it truly odd that people seem to put forward the argument of "they have a choice".

That's not the issue. The issue is that the sport is insanely outdated in it's thought process that it needed girls to stand there and look pretty in the first place.

They are there to be looked at. It's a criticism of the sport, not the girls who choose to do it.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
This is the key point though isn't it? The fact is that children and young people ARE influenced by the social norms and stereotypes they grow up with. My formative years were the 70s and 80s and that very much shaped my views and behaviour. I came to realise through experience, getting older and (hopefully) a bit wiser, and by sometimes being directly or indirectly challenged that yes, some of my former behaviour and views was / were sexist. I'm certain that at a tender age regularly seeing things like the ring girls on World of Sport during the wrestling had something to do with all of that. If you can start children and young people off in life with more positive and balanced messages that's got to be progress.

In other words, you grew up.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Yes, I guess gold-diggers do damage perception of women, but I don't see what the point of your argument is. Cancer kills more people than Ebola. Your logic seems to be - "Let's not do any research into curing Ebola until we have cured Cancer" !?!?

You solve problems because they are problems... you don't rank all the problems in society and then only try to solve them in a strict sequence!

Gold diggin ho's are a real issue. Grid Girls don't do anyone any harm.

The ones I've seen look very happy and healthy girls.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Come on pb21; why has this happened all of a sudden?

It hasn't happened all of a sudden though has it. We haven't gone from thinking this is 100% fine and profitable to not fine and unprofitable overnight. It's been happening for the past 50+ years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here