Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Grid girls scrapped from F1 races..

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Ask the women who do it.....There you will find the answer...Stop being offended for them!

I'm offended (not really sure it's the right word in these circumstances- perhaps irritated is more accurate) for myself thanks very much, not for them. It's patronising of you to suggest otherwise.

It's a free country, and these women can of course do as they please, employment wise. I assume they're getting paid for it. My only point on this subject is that there are no scantily clad men prancing around the Formula One grid, and that once that changes, I'll stop my belief that the current arrangement is sexist and outdated.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I must confess to being in the camp that if a woman or man want to parade around nearly naked who are we to stop them. As far as I aaware these girls do this of their own free will and enjoy it. Why stop them?

Plenty of men are employed for looking good. What is the difference?

How many women go on about photos of Beckham in his underwear. Should he be banned from doing this?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I'm offended (not really sure it's the right word in these circumstances- perhaps irritated is more accurate) for myself thanks very much, not for them. It's patronising of you to suggest otherwise.

It's a free country, and these women can of course do as they please, employment wise. I assume they're getting paid for it. My only point on this subject is that there are no scantily clad men prancing around the Formula One grid, and that once that changes, I'll stop my belief that the current arrangement is sexist and outdated.

Would it help if Lewis took his helmet off?

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
There are a huge number of people making money from their looks or physiques or, as some call it, doing a job. Should they all stop too?

No!

Let people choose to make their own living. Women doing jobs, that some are now objecting to, have the right to self determination.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Totally not sexist, the darts girls actually enjoy their (ex) jobs, except they have now lost their jobs, equal opportunity, equal redundancy and all that.

I'd suggest you have absolutely no idea whether they enjoy their jobs or not. It just suits you to assume that they do.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It depends on what job. Sports people have to have good physiques.

Yes, but they are paid for their sporting ability, in the main anyway.

There are numerous examples. I'll start (and probably end with) promo girls who hand out product samples in supermarkets or are situated on stalls at numerous trade shows. Almost predominantly young, female, made up and dressed in a certain manner. I doubt that's a coincidence.

And just to be clear, I'm not arguing against the darts and F1 moves, and it was always a matter of time that the latter happened after the former. But society has long utilised exclusively attractive young women in a vast array of situations, and still does. And fit / "fit" young men in others.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005

The drivers wear extremely tight fitting suits....Just saying!

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I must confess to being in the camp that if a woman or man want to parade around nearly naked who are we to stop them. As far as I aaware these girls do this of their own free will and enjoy it. Why stop them?

Plenty of men are employed for looking good. What is the difference?

How many women go on about photos of Beckham in his underwear. Should he be banned from doing this?

Men in Formula One are not employed for looking good. They are employed to drive cars fast (or design cars, or fix cars, or pay for them etc). I realise there are some women in those roles too, albeit not very many. That's probably down to existing gender preconceptions- whilst nobody stops young girls taking an interest in motor racing, or car design, there perhaps isn't much encouragement in those directions at a young age either.

But there are no men strutting around the grid in tiny clothes, vacantly waving signs at the camera, and nor I suspect are any being recruited. Which is, by definition, sexist (both to the existing women doing it, and also to the women watching on TV who might like the same opportunity to admire the male form as is afforded to male viewers with the grid girls).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Can't say I'm overly fussed, but nobody is holding a gun to these girls heads. Its their own free choice to take part, its a high profile worldwide sporting event, probably an enjoyable one for them to take part in, and not a bad thing to have on a CV if these girls are choosing to make their way in the "glamour industry". I don't really see why anyone of either sex should get offended by the choices others make in their lives.

Perhaps with the advent of more and more Grand Prix being awarded to arab states, there has been a cooling in enthusiasm from some quarters for attractive grid girls showing their legs, maybe that's been a factor here. Ultimately though, I couldn't really give a monkeys.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
What would you prefer? Some hot guys in tight clothing joining the ladies prancing around amid the cars on the grid?

I assume that's not what you're asking for, ergo the current situation is sexist and outdated.

Good gracious Edna. Next you pesky women will be asking to drive the cars as well. Now don't dare suggest to me that you can turn a steering wheel one way, and then another, as well as a man. Get back in your hot pants.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here