Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Grid girls scrapped from F1 races..

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
hqdefault.jpg

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Serial KILLERS? Grid girls? :lolol:

And your telling me that the next gen are so ****ing thick that the site of grid girls will confuse them as to how society should treat woman, and each other ? :wozza:

Do what you like, cause if that"s the case here is no hope for them then.

I am saying that EVERY generation is the product of all the images/attitudes/experiences that are subjected to and the SIGHT of women being treated as nothing more than decoration at a sporting event is part of the drip feed that creates a misogynistic/sexist attitude in a proportion of impressionable young males. For every one of those drips that we remove, we create a fairer and more civilised society.

I am NOT saying that stopping F1/Darts/Boxing treating these women as ornaments solves all of society's ills, but I am saying that we should tackle each stupid 1970s throwback attitudes with a 21st Century perspective, change things where we can/should and move on to the next anachronism. It's what society does.

We educate the next generation to not equate black with inferior, gay with unnatural and women with objects, one step at a time.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I am saying that EVERY generation is the product of all the images/attitudes/experiences that are subjected to and the SIGHT of women being treated as nothing more than decoration at a sporting event is part of the drip feed that creates a misogynistic/sexist attitude in a proportion of impressionable young males. For every one of those drips that we remove, we create a fairer and more civilised society.

I am NOT saying that stopping F1/Darts/Boxing treating these women as ornaments solves all of society's ills, but I am saying that we should tackle each stupid 1970s throwback attitudes with a 21st Century perspective, change things where we can/should and move on to the next anachronism. It's what society does.

We educate the next generation to not equate black with inferior, gay with unnatural and women with objects, one step at a time.

Spot on.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Gold diggin ho's are a real issue. Grid Girls don't do anyone any harm.

The ones I've seen look very happy and healthy girls.

[I hope that was a woosh and you genuinely aren't that stupid, but just in case...] Of course they look happy and healthy.... they are selected purely on how they look!

They do do harm. They are part of an incessant drip feeding in the media that tells young boys that young girls are not equal and are just objects to be looked at (or worse). This is one of countless individual instances that, individually, seem harmless but are all part of a greater ill.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
I find it truly odd that people seem to put forward the argument of "they have a choice".

That's not the issue. The issue is that the sport is insanely outdated in it's thought process that it needed girls to stand there and look pretty in the first place.

They are there to be looked at. It's a criticism of the sport, not the girls who choose to do it.

F1 is following the mood of the moment, blown up by the media. There is a world of difference from standing looking pretty and sexual harassment. I suppose they may be taking this decision, in case an incident brings the negative press to their door. They have the added bonus of cost cutting and by removing staff from the payroll.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

It's not stupid to want too look at hot women at sporting events. It's what nature and biological forces dictate of us.

Going against nature is just going to create a whole generation of effeminate internally confused men.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Going against nature is just going to create a whole generation of effeminate internally confused men.

It's high levels of oestrogen in the water supply that's doing that mate, not attempts at trying to treat women with respect and equity.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
While I agree that it is rather outdated and a bit sad, I thought the whole point of feminism was choice? Surely this is taking away the element of choice for females who want to pursue this line of work? I know someone who runs an agency that hires these girls......a female. I think we need to get out of the idea that it is just male businesses objectifying women, it is often female run businesses and females choosing to do the work. Female chauvinist pigs by Ariel Levy is an excellent book on this very issue (yes, she is female).

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
[I hope that was a woosh and you genuinely aren't that stupid, but just in case...] Of course they look happy and healthy.... they are selected purely on how they look!

They do do harm. They are part of an incessant drip feeding in the media that tells young boys that young girls are not equal and are just objects to be looked at (or worse). This is one of countless individual instances that, individually, seem harmless but are all part of a greater ill.

So promoting the image of happy and healthy women making a lot of money is now a bad thing.

You're so full of shit it's not funny.

Everything that's promoted these days is about telling young girls how wonderful they are and how shit young boys are. Stop pushing that bullshit false narrative that women are nothing more than victims and how hard they have it these days. Especially when there's so much that contradicts that false narrative.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cycling, unsurprisingly, is a bit of a bugger for this.
Not only does it have 'podium girls' but each Grand Tour jersey has it's own 'girl' too.

I doubt I'll be able to find it but I did listen to an interview with one of the ladies, in question.
She'd be absolutely gutted to lose her job, as the benefits, travel, language skills, representing 'the company' plus the countless other jobs that make up her day, away from the camera, means she has a very enjoyable job.
Plus the fact that she knows she won't be working with any uggos.
Let's face it there's a reason why some of us know how depressing that can be. :lol:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
It's not stupid to want too look at hot women at sporting events. It's what nature and biological forces dictate of us.

Hang on...nature dictates we need to see attractive women whilst we are watching cars go around a track? Must have missed that bit of Biology at school...

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
It hasn't happened all of a sudden though has it. We haven't gone from thinking this is 100% fine and profitable to not fine and unprofitable overnight. It's been happening for the past 50+ years.

Not quite overnight, but pretty damn' quickly and I wonder why?

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
What rights do women currently not have?

All I am seeing here is a job opportunity being taken away not given.

Rights are not the same thing as respect and equity. There is the employment angle of course, but there is also a much wider issue of perception.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here