Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] My new DAMSELFLY album 'An Awkward Bow' is out now

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
It certainly is a bitch mate. I got mine from a combo of years of playing in loud guitar bands, DJ-ing, clubbing / gigging and spending far too many hours using headphones in general I think. It's good there's more awareness about tinnitus and noise-induced hearing loss in music now, there was pretty much feck all when I was younger. Sorry to hear you suffer too. It's one of those conditions that you can't comprehend until you have it 24/7. I sometimes now wear a hearing aid with a tinnitus relief function (nice waves / beach sounds) in the quieter moments if it's really bugging me. Mostly though I've used meditation techniques to try and not focus on the tinnitus. If you haven't tried it, there's some great support you can get via the NHS if you see your GP. A lot of fellow sufferers I know suffer with depression because of it.

I will have a listen over the weekend. Sorry about the tinnitus. I have a hearing problem (miss-spent youth listening to too much loud music played too loud), if I'm in a busy pub (for eg.) peoples voices merge into one mess of noise. It can be a bit isolating, but as you say there are FAR worse things

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I will have a listen over the weekend. Sorry about the tinnitus. I have a hearing problem (miss-spent youth listening to too much loud music played too loud), if I'm in a busy pub (for eg.) peoples voices merge into one mess of noise. It can be a bit isolating, but as you say there are FAR worse things

Thanks pearl, be interested in what you think of the music.

That's kind of you to say, sorry to hear you suffer with hearing issues too, it's amazing how many people do. I know exactly what you mean about noisy environments like pubs, I didn't realise how much I was subconsciously lip-reading until I got my hearing checked out. My right side is pretty much normal for my age, it's my left (guitar amp) ear that seems to have taken the worse battering!

All the best

PS; I do love NSC sometimes. Where else can a bit of music self-promotion turn into a support group therapy session for the hearing-impaired! punk:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
No thanks, it's a bit cold outside. How about snug bar?...........what?

OT and this must be more psychological than physical, but it's very real, does it happen to anyone else?

When I get introduced to someone, or indeed ask their name, when they say it, (I do want to know it) my brain or ears just switch off and it doesn't register! It can be quite embarassing to be honest when you have met someone 5 or 6 times and having to call them mate or something, odd

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

2016%2F01%2F19%2F42%2FDollyParton.e9853.jpg

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
OT and this must be more psychological than physical, but it's very real, does it happen to anyone else?

When I get introduced to someone, or indeed ask their name, when they say it, (I do want to know it) my brain or ears just switch off and it doesn't register! It can be quite embarassing to be honest when you have met someone 5 or 6 times and having to call them mate or something, odd

I'm generally crap with names, especially if someone doesn't 'look' like their name. One of my friend's wife's name is Donna. She doesn't look like a Donna and so after several years I still struggle to remember her name. Odd.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

I'm generally crap with names, especially if someone doesn't 'look' like their name. One of my friend's wife's name is Donna. She doesn't look like a Donna and so after several years I still struggle to remember her name. Odd.

I make up nick names for people .... very DANGEROUS after a few drinks :lolol:

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Cheeky bounce for the weekenders.

Selling well so far and getting some really positive feedback. Should start shipping CDs out very soon. The limited edition CDs are going quick so get in soon if you fancy one of these. You never know, you might be able to flog it on eBay for a few quid one day! (we live in hope).

https://damselfly1.bandcamp.com/

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Thanks pearl, be interested in what you think of the music.

That's kind of you to say, sorry to hear you suffer with hearing issues too, it's amazing how many people do. I know exactly what you mean about noisy environments like pubs, I didn't realise how much I was subconsciously lip-reading until I got my hearing checked out. My right side is pretty much normal for my age, it's my left (guitar amp) ear that seems to have taken the worse battering!

All the best

PS; I do love NSC sometimes. Where else can a bit of music self-promotion turn into a support group therapy session for the hearing-impaired! punk:

Hi, well my laptop is too stutterie so I've ordered the Ltd edition CD instead. I guess the time has come to get one of those i-pod things finally :lolol:

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Hi, well my laptop is too stutterie so I've ordered the Ltd edition CD instead. I guess the time has come to get one of those i-pod things finally :lolol:

Thank you! Always nice to have something a bit more tactile I think, I hope you enjoy it :rock:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
neither! Think it's a quote from Keats, but .... er, don't quote me :lolol:

I'm just think of pronunciation, not exact context (e.g. 'bow tie' could be swapped with fiddle and bow' in my question, 'take a bow' could have been swapped for 'bow of a ship'). Is there another way of pronouncing it?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Is it bow as in 'take a bow, son!', or as in 'bow tie'?

"Take a bow", I've always thought. It was an acknowledgement by Keats that he didn't feel worthy in the presence of his literary heroes so he made a clumsy awkward attempt at an acknowledgement.

Same sort of thing as Leonard Cohen's Tower of Song when he wrote of Hank Williams:

"I said to Hank Williams, how lonely does it get?
Hank Williams hasn't answered yet
But I hear him coughing all night long
Oh, a hundred floors above me in the Tower of Song"

Last edited:

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I bought the download version; sounds like just the sort of music I like - something that sounds great if I'm paying attention to it, but equally can blend into the background if I'm busy working (hopefully you don't mind such uses for your music).

I literally have no time for music with singing/ego-based lyrics these days; but a bit of modern classical, electronic, instrumental does the job very nicely. Hope this does well.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've been listening to the album today and mightily impressed. It sounds a lot less minimal, less full-on electronica and more of there being a band behind you than your first (reminds me of Depeche Mode/Grumbling Fur whereas the first had me checking out the Mark Hollis references) and there's some big tunes in there (Hedge Is Born, Sub Rosa). The piano pieces - anyone who is partial to a bit of Olafur Arnalds or Nils Frahm will like these.

There's also a lot more muscle to this, if that's the right word. I'm a big fan of tunes that build and build like a bad mood. I think THPP hit the nail on the head when he described it as a soundtrack album.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
"Take a bow", I've always thought. It was an acknowledgement by Keats that he didn't feel worthy in the presence of his literary heroes so he made a clumsy awkward attempt at an acknowledgement.

Same sort of thing as Leonard Cohen's Tower of Song when he wrote of Hank Williams:

"I said to Hank Williams, how lonely does it get?
Hank Williams hasn't answered yet
But I hear him coughing all night long
Oh, a hundred floors above me in the Tower of Song"

Correct, it is part of the last line of the last letter that Keats wrote, to his friend Brown - "I can scarcely bid you good bye, even in a letter. I always made an awkward bow. God bless you! John Keats"
The sentiment of feeling unworthy is both personal and universal I think, in most people's cases anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here