Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] My new DAMSELFLY album 'An Awkward Bow' is out now

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Evening fellow NSC'ers.

Please excuse the indulgence of its own thread, but I know not everyone who's into music checks out the various 'Albums...' threads.

So, a quick heads up for fans of electronica, post-rock, instrumental etc action, that my new album is now out. You can stream, download here (CD on the way too).....

https://damselfly1.bandcamp.com

Of local interest, apart from most tracks being inspired by the local area, the cover photo was taken near Ditchling Beacon, looking back towards Brighton and the sea.

I hope some of you might like it. Thanks for listening.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Evening fellow NSC'ers.

Please excuse the indulgence of its own thread, but I know not everyone who's into music checks out the various 'Albums...' threads.

So, a quick heads up for fans of electronica, post-rock, instrumental etc action, that my new album is now out. You can stream, download here (CD on the way too).....

Of local interest, apart from most tracks being inspired by the local area, the cover photo was taken near Ditchling Beacon, looking back towards Brighton and the sea.

Good stuff.

I prefer Marshall stacks and people in cloaks etc. But it’s always great to support anyone producing art.

Rock on. Or indeed (post) rock on.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Evening fellow NSC'ers.

It is decent Mr Joe well done

1-2 minor comments (constructive ones I hope) and it could be the shitty speakers ony my laptop or the stream
Track 1 has a high pitched noise and I cant tell if its meant to be there or not, if it is I cant make it out
More bass on the drums mate

Good job though, up my street 8/10

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Good stuff.

I prefer Marshall stacks and people in cloaks etc. But it’s always great to support anyone producing art.

Rock on. Or indeed (post) rock on.

Thanks Kosh. I'm quite partial to Marshall stacks and people in cloaks now and again too :)

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
It is decent Mr Joe well done

1-2 minor comments (constructive ones I hope) and it could be the shitty speakers ony my laptop or the stream
Track 1 has a high pitched noise and I cant tell if its meant to be there or not, if it is I cant make it out
More bass on the drums mate

Good job though, up my street 8/10

Thanks Maffew, always good to get some constructive feedback, and an 8/10 is a damn fine score! There's quite a few ambient and not-so-ambient high pitched bits across a few tracks, some guitar feedback, some synth, all intentional but possibly not to everyone's tastes (especially NOT to my wife's tastes!). Very possible that it could be excentuated by 'thinner' speakers. You're also not alone with the drum comment, a couple of people have said they'd prefer heavier / base'ier drums. That one's a bit horses for courses I think, and I've long been a fan of Grant Hart's Husker Du drum sound, so there's a homage / nod to the great man there.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Thanks Maffew, always good to get some constructive feedback, and an 8/10 is a damn fine score! There's quite a few ambient and not-so-ambient high pitched bits across a few tracks, some guitar feedback, some synth, all intentional but possibly not to everyone's tastes (especially NOT to my wife's tastes!). Very possible that it could be excentuated by 'thinner' speakers. You're also not alone with the drum comment, a couple of people have said they'd prefer heavier / base'ier drums. That one's a bit horses for courses I think, and I've long been a fan of Grant Hart's Husker Du drum sound, so there's a homage / nod to the great man there.

Cool stuff, yes I am not listening on the best speakers (they arent rubbish neither cos I just put some in to relisten).

I love ambientish/electroish stuff and instramental and it's decently produced. A bit bassier/more leading drum would turn it from something I listened to as opposed to something I might bop to in the kitchen if that makes sense, I like all varieties of music to an extent, and wish I could do it so thumsup pal

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Look forwards to listening to this.
Particularly after the Grant Hart comment

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Look forwards to listening to this.
Particularly after the Grant Hart comment

That's probably where the Grant / Husker similarities end to be honest, other than maybe a sense of melody within the noisier parts at all times, although I am a huge fan of both. I've also tried to get a bit of two of my other big 80's and 90's influences into some parts with the guitar / feedback parts - Thin White Rope and My Bloody Valentine. I like the idea of trying to mix some of those sounds with electronica.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Cool stuff, yes I am not listening on the best speakers (they arent rubbish neither cos I just put some in to relisten).

I love ambientish/electroish stuff and instramental and it's decently produced. A bit bassier/more leading drum would turn it from something I listened to as opposed to something I might bop to in the kitchen if that makes sense, I like all varieties of music to an extent, and wish I could do it so thumsup pal

Cheers. I've re-uploaded the first track again just in case there is something that sneaked in to the original upload that's not meant to be there (if that can even happen, I'm not overly techie when it comes to this stuff). I have pretty bad tinnitus on the left side so am never 100% sure if some sounds are real or in my head! (which makes mixing fun as you can imagine).

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Cheers. I've re-uploaded the first track again just in case there is something that sneaked in to the original upload that's not meant to be there (if that can even happen, I'm not overly techie when it comes to this stuff). I have pretty bad tinnitus on the left side so am never 100% sure if some sounds are real or in my head! (which makes mixing fun as you can imagine).

Coolio, will check it (hope it wasnt my tinnitus , its a bitch isnt it, mine came fro DJing I guess) must be a pain in the arse for you!!

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Coolio, will check it (hope it wasnt my tinnitus , its a bitch isnt it, mine came fro DJing I guess) must be a pain in the arse for you!!

It certainly is a bitch mate. I got mine from a combo of years of playing in loud guitar bands, DJ-ing, clubbing / gigging and spending far too many hours using headphones in general I think. It's good there's more awareness about tinnitus and noise-induced hearing loss in music now, there was pretty much feck all when I was younger. Sorry to hear you suffer too. It's one of those conditions that you can't comprehend until you have it 24/7. I sometimes now wear a hearing aid with a tinnitus relief function (nice waves / beach sounds) in the quieter moments if it's really bugging me. Mostly though I've used meditation techniques to try and not focus on the tinnitus. If you haven't tried it, there's some great support you can get via the NHS if you see your GP. A lot of fellow sufferers I know suffer with depression because of it.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
It certainly is a bitch mate. I got mine from a combo of years of playing in loud guitar bands, DJ-ing, clubbing / gigging and spending far too many hours using headphones in general I think. It's good there's more awareness about tinnitus and noise-induced hearing loss in music now, there was pretty much feck all when I was younger. Sorry to hear you suffer too. It's one of those conditions that you can't comprehend until you have it 24/7. I sometimes now wear a hearing aid with a tinnitus relief function (nice waves / beach sounds) in the quieter moments if it's really bugging me. Mostly though I've used meditation techniques to try and not focus on the tinnitus. If you haven't tried it, there's some great support you can get via the NHS if you see your GP. A lot of fellow sufferers I know suffer with depression because of it.

God that sounds awful, mine is nowhere near that bad. Its ironic that listening to music helps it disappear or hides it
Well I dunno if its a combo of different speakers/the upload/my tinnitus (I dont think its the latter) but I listened to the whole thing again just) and track1 sounds better.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
God that sounds awful, mine is nowhere near that bad. Its ironic that listening to music helps it disappear or hides it
Well I dunno if its a combo of different speakers/the upload/my tinnitus (I dont think its the latter) but I listened to the whole thing again just) and track1 sounds better.

Worse things happen at sea as my dear old grandad used to say :) Glad yours isn't too bad.

Ah, that's encouraging then, perhaps something was iffy with the original upload. If so I am very grateful for you pointing it out.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Evening fellow NSC'ers.

I dont usually post in music threads for various reasons, usually hostile to modernity, but have to say some nice tunes youve got there.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here