Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber on talksport imminently

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Does my ****ing head in. Football's the greatest sport on earth, so I like to tune in and see the final transfers being completed. I have no ****ing interest in that self obsessed self publicist c*** pretending any of it is about him.
In fact, I might start a thread on here tomorrow:

Triggaaar's Transfer Deadline Day, and pretend it's about me instead.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Someone called Kieran Maguire wrote this about him in his Albion end of year accounts financial round up via http://priceoffootball.com/brighton-and-hove-albion-please-please-please-let-me-get-what-i-want/

"One expense that will perhaps result in comment is the remuneration of chief executive Paul Barber, who joined the club over five years ago.
Barber’s pay more than doubled to over £1.2 million. Part of this was performance and bonus related, part of it was to prevent other clubs headhunting him. It was publicised in The Times that PB was on Liverpool’s radar when they were looking to replace Ian Ayre, their chief executive. Ayre’s package at Liverpool was…£1.2 million

We’ve had some dealings with PB here at the Price of Football, and our view is he’s worth every penny. There can be few chief executives of what is now a £140 million a year business who will reply to every email they receive, and engage in fan debate to the degree that Barber has done during his time at the club.

Ultimately if Tony Bloom thinks Paul Barber is worth the money then that’s more than good enough for us. We don’t always agree with the decisions made, but then I don’t always agree with decisions made by my wife either, and still manage to think she’s wonderful.
For some reason PB generates a hysterical reaction from the Mavis Reilly element of the fanbase, who use any excuse to give him stick. We find such behaviour bewildering."
http://priceoffootball.com/brighton-and-hove-albion-please-please-please-let-me-get-what-i-want/

Yeah, I know more than a little bit about that site (being the owner of it). It was the original Times article that I was unable to find in the 30 seconds I was prepared to spend on the task.

Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 14.07.28.png

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Against Arsenal away it was a 4-3-3 with Propper, Stephens and Gross in a flat 3 across the middle.
Thanks. Again with them, rather than in their place. Do you remember his role in the game? Presumably he was supposed to be creative whilst letting Stephens do more of the defending?

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
A formation we generally don't play. The point was, who have we got as backup for Stephens and Propper? They both played alongside Gross in the 3-5-2, so he wasn't backup. We've only got Kayal, unless Gross is good at that role too.

Eh? So what. You asked if he had ever played for us in centre mid. He has. I'm not even contesting your point :ffsparr:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Eh? So what. You asked if he had ever played for us in centre mid. He has.
But we're talking about the transfer window, and whether we need to strengthen still. I thought we'd need another central midfielder to cover Stephens/Propper/Kayal. The suggestion is that Gross can cover those positions too, and I'm not sure he can so I was asking if he'd played in that position. I accept that he's played in midfield for us, but AFAIK not in the role of Stephens or Propper.

I'm not even contesting your point :ffsparr:
And I'm not contesting yours :shrug: You said he's played in a midfield 5 and I accept that, thanks, I'm just rephrasing my question to see if he can do the Stephens/Propper role should we get injuries.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
But we're talking about the transfer window, and whether we need to strengthen still. I thought we'd need another central midfielder to cover Stephens/Propper/Kayal. The suggestion is that Gross can cover those positions too, and I'm not sure he can so I was asking if he'd played in that position. I accept that he's played in midfield for us, but AFAIK not in the role of Stephens or Propper.

And I'm not contesting yours :shrug: You said he's played in a midfield 5 and I accept that, thanks, I'm just rephrasing my question to see if he can do the Stephens/Propper role should we get injuries.

Gotta say Trigg that I suspect he can't, hence why we should be looking to sign another CM IMHO...

What point are you making, here?

Would it have mattered if he had? Does the fact that the CEO of our FOOTBALL club is an actual FOOTBALL FAN count against the bloke?

Would it be better if he knew only of numbers and corporations, and nothing of football? Or are you suggesting that Bloom should recruit solely from a tiny talent pool of die-hard Albion fans?

Didn't BG say he was shortlisted for the job at the time of PBs appointment or is my memory playing tricks ?

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
This thread seems to illustrate something that I've noticed on here for a while - whenever there is criticism of the club for being too corporate and such, it gets aimed at PB. Whenever there is praise to be handed out, it goes to TB.

Of course TB deserves an immense amount of credit and respect, but I don't get why PB gets all the crap he does when he, like everyone else at the club, ultimately does whatever Uncle Tony tells him to do, or at the very least approves of him doing.

Completely agree with this. IMHO Barber is one of the best in the business and the people on here who slate him really don't understand his job. The very nature of his job as a Premier League CEO means he is paid to make decisions that may be unpopular. Bloom obviously completely trusts him and I would imagine he has more savvy than most of the posters on here who have a irrational hatred for PB!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I won’t be finished at work for another few hours; I am planning to catch the end of his piece.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Does my ****ing head in. Football's the greatest sport on earth, so I like to tune in and see the final transfers being completed. I have no ****ing interest in that self obsessed self publicist c*** pretending any of it is about him.

"The best connected man in sports journalism" or some such gibberish the trail on Talkshite goes. The biggest BELLEND, more like...

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Someone called Kieran Maguire wrote this about him in his Albion end of year accounts financial round up via http://priceoffootball.com/brighton-and-hove-albion-please-please-please-let-me-get-what-i-want/

"One expense that will perhaps result in comment is the remuneration of chief executive Paul Barber, who joined the club over five years ago.
Barber’s pay more than doubled to over £1.2 million. Part of this was performance and bonus related, part of it was to prevent other clubs headhunting him. It was publicised in The Times that PB was on Liverpool’s radar when they were looking to replace Ian Ayre, their chief executive. Ayre’s package at Liverpool was…£1.2 million

We’ve had some dealings with PB here at the Price of Football, and our view is he’s worth every penny. There can be few chief executives of what is now a £140 million a year business who will reply to every email they receive, and engage in fan debate to the degree that Barber has done during his time at the club.

Ultimately if Tony Bloom thinks Paul Barber is worth the money then that’s more than good enough for us. We don’t always agree with the decisions made, but then I don’t always agree with decisions made by my wife either, and still manage to think she’s wonderful.
For some reason PB generates a hysterical reaction from the Mavis Reilly element of the fanbase, who use any excuse to give him stick. We find such behaviour bewildering."
http://priceoffootball.com/brighton-and-hove-albion-please-please-please-let-me-get-what-i-want/

Kieran who?

Who the hell is he when he’s at home. Probably knows as much as Donald Trump about football!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
"The best connected man in sports journalism" or some such gibberish the trail on Talkshite goes.
Really? I doubt he's a sports journalist at all is he, I assumed he was just an annoying presenter.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Exactly this!!!!! He is a massive, massive CJTC!

I remember at the end of the last window he decided to have a phone in about how transfer fees in football had gone out of control and something needed to be done. This is the same numpty who creams himself on national TV about a premier league team spunking multi millions that they can't afford on a journeyman striker before the transfer window 'slams shut'! Hypocritical c***!

To be fair, I think PB gets a lot of praise on this site. Not only for his personal responses to fan emails etc, but for his general running of the club. I took half of the criticism on this thread as piss-taking, as an interview with PB at this stage of the window was always likely to be boring with nothing given away.

He's no Bellotti???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here