Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Just when you thought modern football couldn't get any worse....

Jul 7, 2003
I tuned in at exactly twenty past to try and miss the crap- if I knew where I could listen on the radio I would have done.

Monday lunch time 12.30. The rattle of the bag and the toffs at the FA. Bring it back.

I was still at school for the '83 cup run. Remember loads of kids gathering round a small radio waiting to hear the draw as the run went on.

Loads of dentist appointments when the cup final tickets went on sale. Can't remember who looked more sheepish in the queues outside the Goldstone - the kids skiving off school or our teachers!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
This treatment of the FA Cup is part of the Beeb's strategy of hanging on to the crown jewels of sport broadcasting. The more of these they lose (golf, tennis, cricket)the more they have to celebrate what they've got left and popularise it in this fashion. Can't really blame them but it was sqirmavision.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It was crap but I imagine more people watched this draw than the last one, hopefully raising the interest in the competition

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
At least we didn't have to stare at a twitter account reporting a draw taking place in Beijing.

So it still beats that shower of shite. Plus I now know what a dormouse does for winter.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Oh god, they didn't do that lame shit where they have someone from each club wearing their team's shirt and make them ****ing shake hands with whoever they get drawn against?

I've only just gotten over the cringe-induced lockjaw I suffered from seeing that last year.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Oh god, they didn't do that lame shit where they have someone from each club wearing their team's shirt and make them ****ing shake hands with whoever they get drawn against?

I've only just gotten over the cringe-induced lockjaw I suffered from seeing that last year.

Oh, yes. Awful.

el punal

Does anyone remember the classic cock-up of a draw in the olden days. Again, only on the radio. It went something like this :

Northern accented intro "The herm team wull be drawn by Bert Millichip and awey team by Dr. Andrew Stephen." All proceeded well enough until,

"Noomber fourteen."

"Oldham Athletic - will play."

"Noomber six."

"Middlesbrough."

The draw continued . . . until

"Noomber nine."

"Middlesbrough."

"Will play . . . cough, cough, ah think we've a problem."

Bearing in mind this was all being relayed on the radio made it even funnier. I can only imagine the complete and utter pandemonium among the Lancaster Gate suits as they tried to recover their poise and continue with the draw.

As I say this did happen many years ago so the people involved may or may not have been involved, but trust me Middlesbrough were the team in question and so were numbers of 6 and 9. :laugh:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Sitting in my car at lunchtime listening to the semi final draw in 1983
Us, Arsenal, Utd and Sheffield Wed

Banged me head on the roof

10 kids in the playground stop their break-time five a side and huddle round a single, small transistor radio smuggled into school solely for the purpose of hearing the 1983 FA Cup semi-final draw.

10 kids PRAYING for the Albion to be drawn against Wednesday to bring their Wembley dreams one step closer.

In my mind I can still hear that cheer of joy...

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
I was staggered at how they introduced Ruud Gullit, a guy who was a top-class player and manager in the same breath as that total bell-end and worst-ever Albion loan-signing Robbie "I'm too big to be here" Savage! Not worthy of sharing a stage with Gullit. Still, at least we got a winnable draw. Anti-Savage rant over. It's just that I still can't stand the sight of him!

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Sitting in my car at lunchtime listening to the semi final draw in 1983
Us, Arsenal, Utd and Sheffield Wed

Banged me head on the roof

I was in a geography class at Stanley Deason. Took the radio in. I seem to remember Burnley or Sheffield Wednesday were number 5. Quite how I'm not sure.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
10 kids in the playground stop their break-time five a side and huddle round a single, small transistor radio smuggled into school solely for the purpose of hearing the 1983 FA Cup semi-final draw.

10 kids PRAYING for the Albion to be drawn against Wednesday to bring their Wembley dreams one step closer.

In my mind I can still hear that cheer of joy...

It was such a fantastic feeling knowing that we had avoided Utd and Arsenal. Just knew that we were going to Wembley.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here