Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ashley Barnes 18-19 Season

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I believe the fee is significantly more than that.

It was 850,000, wasn't it?

At the time of the transfer, a Burnley fan posted on here that the deal was £400k up front, £200k in appearance-related add-ons and a £150k promotion add-on if they got promoted within the duration of his contract (which they did) which would total £750k if all the appearance-related add-ons were triggered.

Jan 10, 2014
Apparently he can't be selected for Austria because he doesn't have an Austrian passport yet.

Or is he just waiting for an England call up? :lolol:

The Austrian manager/coach........

Me and my staff were impressed. He can use either foot, is physically very present and makes a lot of good runs. He was also involved in every single offensive play. What can I say? He is a very good striker.

It was very important for me to see him live in the flesh to judge his competitive quality. Now there are many other details to be discussed. Is he eligible to play for Austria? When can I involve him in my plans? We will see what the next weeks may bring.

I talked to people about Barnes. There are several Austrian players in the Premier League. The feedback was very positive.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
No rush - AB not needed by Austria until Euro 2020 qualifying games start in October.

The Austria manager is no fool - played several seasons in the Bundesliga so should spot a good player...Barnes & Arnautovic could be decent combination.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Just signed a contract extension to 2021

Stumpy Tim

Slow, thick & at times a liability. But unbelievable work ethic, two footed, and his off the ball movement was fabulous. I always liked Barnes, but you had to watch him when he didn't have the ball to fully appreciate his value

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Slow, thick & at times a liability. But unbelievable work ethic, two footed, and his off the ball movement was fabulous. I always liked Barnes, but you had to watch him when he didn't have the ball to fully appreciate his value

His pace is reasonable, certainly no slower age-for-age as Murray and Ulloa. Obviously not a flyer.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
If Wood and Barnes stay fit next season, I can see Burnley scoring quite a few more goals than this season - not hard I know.

Sadly, it seems like the end of the road for Sam Vokes at Turf Moor. He will need to move to get regular games....and he started the season with a brace in a 3-2 win at Chelsea. Season turned sour for him.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If Wood and Barnes stay fit next season, I can see Burnley scoring quite a few more goals than this season - not hard I know.

Sadly, it seems like the end of the road for Sam Vokes at Turf Moor. He will need to move to get regular games....and he started the season with a brace in a 3-2 win at Chelsea. Season turned sour for him.

Interesting that modest AB is producing the goods in his general play and goals, whereas players who had far more attention from the media Andre Gray and Vokes have faltered.

Many of us have watched AB since he joined as a young player from Plymouth on loan, and he produced the goods immediately. Really pleased for him that he's earned a fantastic living at Burnley.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Interesting that modest AB is producing the goods in his general play and goals, whereas players who had far more attention from the media Andre Gray and Vokes have faltered.

Many of us have watched AB since he joined as a young player from Plymouth on loan, and he produced the goods immediately. Really pleased for him that he's earned a fantastic living at Burnley.

Yes, AB is certainly having the best season of his career and he insists "there is more to come". Another ex-Seagull - albeit short-term - Stephen Ward is also having the best season of his career despite missing 10 games.

Burnley's record with Ward this season P20 W11 D5 L4 Points 38. Without Ward...P10 W0 D5 L5 Points 5.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
The game vs Watford away last season made me a huge fan of Barnes. After Hendrick was sent off he covered left midfield when we defended and then attacked the channel on the other side of the pitch (between their left back and CB) from set pieces and such. Huge amount of work.

Gray, on the other hand, was continually outpaced by their defence. I felt Gray was still very raw, having risen through the divisions in a very short period. His first touch always let him down, if he can improve on that and get his fitness right (he was often subbed with 20 mins to go and I think his hamstring trouble limited his gametime) he'd be a solid player. Certainly one of those who will score for fun in the Championship.

I think it's been tough on Vokes, he's had a couple of injuries but Sean obviously trusts him. Good squad player.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here