Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Players VAR ( and Pardew )

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Absolutely hilarious the players (and management) appear to be unhappy about the VAR replay.

The arguing has moved on from:

1) The ref got it wrong

to

2) The ref(s) got it right but we aren't allowed to see the video.

:lolol:

Maybe the ref should get all the players into the middle of pitch, wait for it to be uploaded to You Tube and have a vote round his phone.

I assume you are referring to that spunktrumpet's interview on the BBC ("Pardew criticises 'bizarre' VAR decisions" (also) on the football page). That prat can piss off. I'm not going to watch him talking out of his Harris (as usual) unless the interviewer puts him in his place..

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Will it though I have seen the penalty and I am still not convinced it was 100% a penalty. Not sure Pawson was either as he watched it about 30 times before giving it. Salah has a hand on his shirt but goes down like he has had his legs removed at the knees yet the decision still goes to Liverpool.

It was a pity he didn't correctly award the penalty then book Salah for making a meal of it.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
A thought I had today. Once/if they get it right, how will it work on the last day of the season, for example. It wouldn't be fair if not all PL games had it but how will they do 10 matches at the same time. There are only so many refs available at one time to sit in front of the tv screens.

theboybilly

Can you not think beyond absolutes? VAR means that more (not all) key decisions will improve. That's a good thing in my book. You're welcome to think differently, but don't come on here moaning about, for instance, The Complete And Utter Shyster awarding Stephens a red card, or Murray not being given a penalty when Shawcross hacks him down in the area.

Sorry mate, I stand by my comment. Mistakes will be made and you will never agree with every VAR decision. Just as it is now having three officials. I'd rather they train a referee to knoe a bad challenge, stop the feigning of injuries or blatent time-wasting before embarking on this nonsense.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
A thought I had today. Once/if they get it right, how will it work on the last day of the season, for example. It wouldn't be fair if not all PL games had it but how will they do 10 matches at the same time. There are only so many refs available at one time to sit in front of the tv screens.

I believe, part of the reason the VAR is off in a studio is that he can view many games at the same time, with the theory being that it is unlikely that two games will require reviews at the exact same time. Though, I suppose the more games you have the more chance there is a clash, but you still wouldn't need one for every game.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
It will take football time to adapt, i've been to few Rugby games and seen it in action and it works. there is an excitement around the decision and it allows the referee to make correct decisions. I cite the sending off of Sunny Bill Williams in the Rugby world cup, an off the ball incident completely missed by the referee but picked up by the VAR.

As for pardew bleating about players getting injured whilst waiting for a VAR decision, obviously this doesn't happen when a player is down feigning injury for a while, waiting for a goal kick from a timewasting goalkeeper or in the time when a player is sent off and a subsequent penalty awarded. Alan if you as a head coach had not made preparations for this, then you're not really the man for job putting your own players fitness at risk and are the players unable to keep themselves moving without instructions. Pathetic Alan, stop whingeing.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I believe, part of the reason the VAR is off in a studio is that he can view many games at the same time, with the theory being that it is unlikely that two games will require reviews at the exact same time. Though, I suppose the more games you have the more chance there is a clash, but you still wouldn't need one for every game.

The VAR refs have to watch all the games as its their job to spot a possible mistake or something the on-field ref misses. For example the on field ref might not see a red card offence and so will have their attention drawn to it by the VAR ref.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The VAR refs have to watch all the games as its their job to spot a possible mistake or something the on-field ref misses. For example the on field ref might not see a red card offence and so will have their attention drawn to it by the VAR ref.

As far as I am aware the policy has been that the ref has to ask the VAR to review. If the VAR sees something he thinks the ref missed, he can ask the ref to ask him to review it, but it isn't a practice that the VAR has to spend the entire game scouring for errors. Though this is all new and what I've read may have been from the bundesliga and slightly amended for the English competitions.

If that has changed and in the English implementation of it we want VARs to look for errors throughout the game, I still don't think it would require one referee per game. There will obviously be technicians and maybe camera men involved in facilitating the video replay system, I don't see that there would be an issue with them highlighting something for the VAR (who will have the training, experience and authority to judge the incident and whether to draw the referee's attention to it).

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I am massively against it.

But would it not have made more sense to bring it in for an incident at a time?

Starting with goals, then once the refs have aced this add pens etc etc.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Someone made the point its massively unfair to have it in certain games in the FA cup

It 1 game has a pen over turned after a dive and another doesn't even though its a dive how is that fair?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I've pretty much been against it for some of the reasons that others have highlighted however I have been swayed by what I see as the decline in refereeing.

The next piece of the jigsaw will be independent time keeping so we get to see closer to 90 minutes of football rather than about an hour!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here