Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sunderland, Birmingham & Hull City falling to League One--will this happen to the Albion?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Sunderland, Birmingham & Hull City falling to League One--will this happen to the Albion?

Sunderland, Birmingham & Hull City falling to League One--will this happen to the Albion?

Have they absolutely wasted the parachute payments?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It IS not a question we need to be asking at this stage, as we're still in the Premier League and with a good transfer window we will remain here.

However, it does reflect just how difficult the Championship is, and how the majority of teams relegated from the Prem have struggled to get back up.

It shows how imperative it is to stay up this season, especially as the parachute payments aren't as good for teams who only stay up for the single season.

I have faith in Tony Bloom either way.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
This is far more about a huge turnover in bad or indeed good managers tbh... we retain Hughton, we retain an edge required to sit near the top of the Championship.

Should we lose him and recruit another Sami... well God alone can tell.

I think we’ll retain Chris regardless and we’d be wise to do so. Too many are prepared to deal out death and judgement, to the detriment of the clubs they purport to love.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Reading here would suggest some posters can't wait.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Those clubs all have one thing in common: they are basket case clubs and have been for some time now.

That said, even for well-run clubs it can take just one minor mis-step for that trapdoor to become a concern. Exhibit A: the Albion appointing Sami Hyypia.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London

The common theme with all three of those clubs is they are (from the outside at least) badly run;

Sunderland - Chopping and changing managers, poor transfer decisions etc.
Hull City - Owner trying to change the clubs name, poor investment and strange managerial appointments.
Birmingham City - Sacked Rowett, appointed Redknapp, poor player recruitment etc, etc etc.

IF we do go down I would say there is far more chance we will be like Burnley. Keep our manager, sell and recruitment calmly and wisely and have a good, not certain but good chance of going back up.

In short no we won't end up going down to league one, what a stupid question.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It shows how imperative it is to stay up this season, especially as the parachute payments aren't as good for teams who only stay up for the single season.

They are as good for two seasons, the difference is you don't get the third year.

I think clubs get 55%, 45% and then 20% of full PL money as parachute payments. If you go down after one season, you don't get that 20% in year 3.

If anything it increases the likelihood of relegated clubs "going for it" in a desperate bid to get back to the land of milk and honey.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Newcastle, Burnley, Leicester, Watford, Palace, West Ham, Wolves, Cardiff, Villa, Fulham, Middlesbrough and Norwich.

All relegated in recent seasons and no where near dropping in to league 1.

Apart from actually dropping into League 1....:lolol:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
They are as good for two seasons, the difference is you don't get the third year.

I think clubs get 55%, 45% and then 20% of full PL money as parachute payments. If you go down after one season, you don't get that 20% in year 3.

If anything it increases the likelihood of relegated clubs "going for it" in a desperate bid to get back to the land of milk and honey.

55% of what? the base package for Prem clubs?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
55% of what? the base package for Prem clubs?

I believe so, yes...

"Over three years, Sunderland will get 55 per cent of the £99.9million they made from TV revenue in the first year, 45 per cent the following year and 20 per cent in the third year, providing they don’t win promotion.

However, both Hull and Middlesbrough will only be entitled to the first two payments. Because they were relegated after only one season they don’t get the third and final payment. That’s because clubs had been criticised for going up and showing little ambition in the way of investment, appearing content to take the Premier League TV cash and subsequent parachute payments."

From >>> https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/football-indepth/cost-of-relegation-drop-means-football-clubs/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here