FA CUP - FOURTH ROUND

Venue: The Riverside Stadium
Date: Saturday 27th January 2018
Kick-off: 15:00 GMT
Referee: Anthony Taylor
Assistants: Matthew Wilkes, Nick Hopton
Fourth official: Ben Toner

TEAM NEWS

Middlesbrough midfielder Adam Clayton and striker Ashley Fletcher could feature against Brighton in the FA Cup fourth round.

Clayton has not started a game since 25 November while it is three months since Fletcher started but Boro boss Tony Pulis may include both.

Brighton's club-record £14m signing Jurgen Locadia will be out for another two weeks with a hamstring injury.

Midfielder Steve Sidwell (ankle) is Brighton's only other absentee.

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Middlesbrough manager Tony Pulis: "It will be a tough game, without a question of a doubt.

"For me it's all about what we're going to do. It's all positive, and we'll be talking about playing our strengths."

Brighton manager Chris Hughton: "Middlesbrough have had some ups and downs this season with regard to their form, but they are a team that we very much expect to have a good run through to the end of the season.

"Tony Pulis is a manager I know very well and it's never an easy game against one of his teams.

"We are away from home against a side that are on the back of a very good win last time out against Queens Park Rangers, so we expect a very difficult game."

MATCH FACTS

• [*=left]These two sides have been drawn together just once previously in the FA Cup, a second-round tie in 1906, with Middlesbrough eventually winning a second replay after the first two games ended 1-1.
    [*=left]That gap of 112 seasons between a fixture being played in the FA Cup is the second longest in the competition's history - West Brom and Burnley faced in 1888/89 and then not again until 2008/09, a gap of 120 seasons.
    [*=left]Boro have been drawn at home for the seventh successive fixture, with the north-east side winning four of the last six (L2).
    [*=left]Brighton have won just two of their last eight FA Cup away games (D1 L5), losing each of the last two, including at this stage last season to non-league Lincoln.
    [*=left]Middlesbrough have been eliminated in seven of their last eight FA Cup ties against Premier League opponents, failing to score in four of the last five.
    [*=left]Brighton have failed to score in nine of their last 13 competitive matches (six goals overall).
    [*=left]None of Middlesbrough's last 18 games have ended in a draw, winning 10 and losing eight in this run.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
It's a sort of a return match that the referee, Mike Dean officiated last time, when Mike Dean sent off Dale Stephens for that innocuous challenge on shin pad poster boy Ramirez.
Mike Dean has forever gone down as the **** that ruined our season.

UTA for a win today :)

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm really looking forward to this game. I'm fascinated to see if Hughton is going to give the 3-5-2 another run out or if he'll go back to his tried, tested and trusted 4-4-2. Hopefully 3-5-2 will get another run out to see if we've ironed out the positional/defensive issues we had with it. If we have, it could be a very useful option for the rest of the season. If not we can go back to 4-4-2/4-4-1-1.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Over did the Australia Day celebrations last night, so going to give this one a miss and see the replay tomorrow.

My wifes cousin has been in Perth for 30 years. He's an ex egg chaser, he said there is a word for these celebrations......it's called lightweight:lolol:

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
I'm really looking forward to this game. I'm fascinated to see if Hughton is going to give the 3-5-2 another run out or if he'll go back to his tried, tested and trusted 4-4-2. Hopefully 3-5-2 will get another run out to see if we've ironed out the positional/defensive issues we had with it. If we have, it could be a very useful option for the rest of the season. If not we can go back to 4-4-2/4-4-1-1.

This.

Neither team wants a replay and CH wouldn't be that arsed if we lost so nothing to lose really by trying out new formations.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just leaving the Cross, Uncle Ray is in transit as well

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here