Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What has happened to Torquay United?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
First team to beat us in the League at Withdean (we’d alreday lost to Gillingham in the League Cup). Neville Southall has an absolute stormer in goal for them that day.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I go to a few Torquay games each season, parents live nearby. The quality hasn't dropped massively, which goes to show how tight the margins are, I don't see a huge difference from league one to the conference really.

That's very true. I go along to Ebbsfleet a few times a season, and have been doing for a few years now. We've seen a couple of our better players - but not exceptional - leave and settle in League One, or League Two, having stepped up from the National or the South with us. Teams coming up into League Two from the National often find themselves challenging to go straight up again, while teams coming down often find themselves in danger of dropping straight through.

So, it doesn't take much to be going for Torquay to find themselves where they are. It's been a similar situation at Leyton Orient. Just a bit of poor management, and disinterested ownership and the fight goes out of the club a little bit, and before you know it you have a team full of players who are either content just to be playing, or who simply want out. That little bit of fight and togetherness goes, and they fall to the wrong end of the tale.

zamora the merrier

Mar 1, 2009
Torquay away was up there as one of my favourite Albion away days strangely. 2001 promotion season. Freezing cold, bog of a pitch with a lot of Albion there. Darren Freeman long cross and Zamora to score at the far post in front of us. Whole thing helped by a severe quantity of alcohol before and after in their club bar (forget its name) I think we were top of the league?>

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Remember us playing there in Round 3 of the FA cup possibly 2008/09 or 09/10 season. Freezing cold and IIRC kick off was delayed

Pretty much the only thing I remember about that game was Joel Lynch looking like one of the greatest ever, commanding, centre back.

Turns out he'd actually just found his level!

#harsh.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
22050292_752321011639819_8184915077125588205_n.jpg

Got Mike Bassett supporting them now too !

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Torquay away was up there as one of my favourite Albion away days strangely. 2001 promotion season. Freezing cold, bog of a pitch with a lot of Albion there. Darren Freeman long cross and Zamora to score at the far post in front of us. Whole thing helped by a severe quantity of alcohol before and after in their club bar (forget its name) I think we were top of the league?>

Boots and Laces was the supporters bar there. Cracking little bar, like a proper pub. WORLDS better than Dicks.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
There are plenty of fairly recent league clubs in the National League North - York, Kidderminster, Stockport, Boston, Darlington, & a few not so recent -Bradford PA, Southport, Gainsborough, & Chester likely to join them. Scarboro & Workington are even lower down the pyramid.

The Chester club isn't the same one is it?

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
I was there when we beat them 6-2 Zamora got 3 and this chap got 2

00020-03.jpg

Torquay 02/09/2000

I was looking at the lower leagues a few months back due to a conversation I was having and the number of former league teams, be them reincarnated ones or not, is depressing and inspiring at the same time. If all these teams have gone lower down means more newer teams in the league. A real shame for those loyal to the teams that have sunk but great for those who have risen.

Bolton va va

Nov 20, 2012
The Chester club isn't the same one is it?

Sort of........( looked it up & ) Chester City were wound up in 2010 & the new Chester FC - still playing at the Deva Stadium !! - started afresh in the 2010-11 playing in the 8th tier & they worked their way up to the Conference/National premier by 2013 but look to be struggling & in financial trouble again this season.

Apparently some of their fans were a pain at some lower league places & there was quite a bit of trouble when they played at Chorley.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I can vaguely remember, from the late sixties;

“To hell with Luton Town
To hell with Torquay
We’re gonna fight, fight, fight for the Albion
‘Til we win Division Three”

Chelsea have Osgood, and Palace have Queen,
West Ham have Geoff Hurst, and Tottenham Gilzean,
But Arsenal have Radford, and he is the King. also Georgie Armstrong, the King on the wing.

Ahem.

Thanks to my father back in the 70's l was a bit of a closet Gooner. Not a lot of people know that..

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing

Unfortunately it was the season before when I went, I seemed to be on a long run of goalless trips to the west country at the time, which was added to that day. V good away day tho, and remember us all giving Big Nev Southall a torrid time when he kept up our end. He took it all with great humour tho, quite the gent

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Always remember a great away day there once. P*ssed up and constantly singing the Lorenzo Pinamonte song non stop. Happy days

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Remember us playing there in Round 3 of the FA cup possibly 2008/09 or 09/10 season. Freezing cold and IIRC kick off was delayed

I remember similar but thought it was more like 2002. Scruffy Keeper (Southall) in their goal; amazing one handed catch. I was ill for weeks after :eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here