Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What has happened to Torquay United?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
And for Scarborough even steeper.

I used to love going to Scarbrorough, the McCain stadium was a lovely little ground. Andy Ritchie was playing for them around that time, and (I think) I saw Gary Hart bag his first for the club.

EB42038D-9465-4B34-AF37-8E4658C2BA49.jpeg

Last edited:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
1368B0AA-BBE4-48B1-AD60-228996CD08D6.jpegDarlington too, ah trips to Feethams to watch us lose. Although we did manage to win on one occasion with 10 men - Barker and Hart scoring - I think?!?

Sad so many lovely plucky little clubs can find no way back :(

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Ian “bus driver” Baird scoring against Scarborough at the Goldstone... bittersweet memories for both clubs.

I still miss our real home :(

So too the ‘borough fans I guess. ******** and football should never mix, but sadly they all too often do.

605246E5-8279-48BB-B748-19E6D497FC1F.jpeg

Robert Codners Nostrils

Oct 12, 2004
NYC
I used to love going to Scarbrorough, the McCain stadium was a lovely little ground. Andy Ritchie was playing for them around that time, and (I think) I saw Gary Hart bag his first for the club.

View attachment 93519

Hart did score, but I believe it was his second for the club. Interestingly, his first came a couple of days before...against Torquay!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Hart did score, but I believe it was his second for the club. Interestingly, his first came a couple of days before...against Torquay!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I think your right on the money - I remember some lad talking to us (me and my dad) in the away end telling us Hart wasn't really any good...

Whoops.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Priestfield had executive boxes!? :ohmy:

It was just a normal part of the ground but the loos had toilet paper, I say toilet paper it was that tracing paper type stuff you had a school in the 70s and 80s. That luxury in that part of Kent.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
As someone else alluded to, isn't a case of 'The King is dead, Long live the King'. Was always going to be the way when they introduced relegation and promotion to the league based on merit, ie winning the top tier of non league.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Sort of........( looked it up & ) Chester City were wound up in 2010 & the new Chester FC - still playing at the Deva Stadium !! - started afresh in the 2010-11 playing in the 8th tier & they worked their way up to the Conference/National premier by 2013 but look to be struggling & in financial trouble again this season.

Apparently some of their fans were a pain at some lower league places & there was quite a bit of trouble when they played at Chorley.

Thank you for the clarification. Always had a soft spot for Chester as most of my family is from that area and it's a really nice place too :)

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
There are plenty of fairly recent league clubs in the National League North - York, Kidderminster, Stockport, Boston, Darlington, & a few not so recent -Bradford PA, Southport, Gainsborough, & Chester likely to join them. Scarboro & Workington are even lower down the pyramid.

To be honest, Kidderminster, Boston, Gainsborough, and Scarborough had never been in the league when I was a lad, so it might be better phrased that there are plenty of non league clubs who have enjoyed a season or three in the Football League.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
It is horrible to see Torquay in the state they are. I grew up in a small village near totnes which is a town not far from Torquay. in 94/95 i went to about 15 home games (despite being an Albion fan due to my dad). Torquay were mid table and pretty irrelevant but I loved it and Exeter finished bottom of the league. Torquay had some decent players, Darren Moore was the most successful "Bruno" had a good career at West Brom and others plus Gregory goodridge. Torquay's captain that season was a certain Paul Trollope who patrolled the midfield. Obviously he went on to a successful career in coaching which will peak with FA cup glory in 2018.

I returned to plainmoor on New Year's Day 1997 to see Gary nelson score a last minute winner for Torquay - I was in the away end. Anyone there that day? It was freezing cold and should have been postponed but they played on a frozen pitch with the players in trainers. I was also in the away end when we beat them 2-0 in the cup in 2007. My memory is hazy but I think Forster scored the goals.

The chairman at the time I followed them was a fan of the club but sold out and since then it has been a shambles. The owners want to cash in with prime property and it stinks.

The lads (now 38 year old men) I used to go with a till go and it sucks what is happening to the club.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Gives me a chance to retell a Torquay story. Driving along the A27, maybe three years back, I was overtaken by a minibus with 'Torquay United FC sponsored by (someone or other)' splashed on the side. Closer look it had the team inside. I looked up their fixtures and they were driving from Torquay to play a team that day somewhere in Sussex.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Torquay United accused of fraud and forgery by former player.

[tweet]1354835889336279042[/tweet]

Kalvin Lumbombo-Kalala, who used to play for the National League club, filed an official complaint to the French courts on the 23rd of December 2020, in relation to a document he claims he did not sign or receive.
The 22-year-old states that his previous contract at the Gulls was due to expire on the 2nd of May 2020, after which his deal was to be renewed.

https://fanbanter.co.uk/torquay-united-accused-of-fraud-and-forgery-by-former-player/

Money talks I guess or just sour grapes.......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here