Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "Brighton set for €10m Camarasa"

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Isn't the point thought that he rarely speculates and pretty much probably only goes live with news when he gets the nod from someone at the club shortly before a player signs?

Isn't that the difference between actual news and opinion/speculation? Journalism has been forced to move towards the latter to stay competitive, but ultimately I believe journalism is mainly about reporting facts.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Isn't the point thought that he rarely speculates and pretty much probably only goes live with news when he gets the nod from someone at the club shortly before a player signs?

Exactly he only really reports something when he gets the nod from inside the club, along with various other news outlets and basically when any transfer is pretty much general knowledge around the club, which is when the leaks happen. Probably moments before it actually announced. Naylor I would imagine has no inside knowledge regarding transfers other than we maybe going for a certain type or position, further than that they could not trust him.

Basically NSC is a better source of speculation and often someone here knows something about incoming transfers before Naylor.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Classic observation from a Betis fan on that Spanish link: "10 kilos??yo lo llevo al aereopuerto!!" which translates as "£10million Euros? I'll drive him to the airport myself."

Football fans the same the world over.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
If Naylor just has to stick to the saucers of milk supplied by the Albion then he might as well give up the day job and we will get all our pintas from the club website.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
According to wiki not played for betis, 10 million appears pricey.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Isn't that the difference between actual news and opinion/speculation? Journalism has been forced to move towards the latter to stay competitive, but ultimately I believe journalism is mainly about reporting facts.

Really? Take a look at the speculation by other media sources. All season newspapers and tv are speculating about who's going where, probably because other clubs use the media to sound out players and/or agents and vice versa. Doesn't happen at Brighton because we keep our cards very close to our chest.

As for general journalism, there have always been columns based on peoples opinions and other columns based facts. That said, you only have to read the news to see that people's opinions/political persuasion can put a different slant on the same 'facts'.

I can remember when the transfer window started at the end of the season and ended around the third Thursday in March. There was endless speculation about who was going where.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Naylor "Chris, there are a couple of reports from Spain that we are close to signing Camarasa from Betis, anything in this?"

Hughton "Not at this moment, he is a player we are aware of but no more than that."

Naylor then reports Argus sources say no, meanwhile Hughton gets on the phone to Barber and tells him the story is out, get it finalised.

Barber to his Spanish counterpart "word has got out to the media, so we are now withdrawing our previous offer"

Last day of the window

Barber to Spanish counterpart " ok lets talk again"

Spanish counterpart "look you ****in lemon, we now have no time to get our replacements in, if we can in the short time left, then yes we will sell"

Following day club releases statement, we all know what it says.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
True, but at this level Dale isn't really... well... anything from midfield - He's slow, nervy, too deep, too introverted and thus totally out of his depth. The only exception being the recent FA cup match where he looked like he'd arrived... alas he immediately returned to his more dominant habits during the following match.

But he's played every minute this season?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Exactly he only really reports something when he gets the nod from inside the club, along with various other news outlets and basically when any transfer is pretty much general knowledge around the club, which is when the leaks happen. Probably moments before it actually announced. Naylor I would imagine has no inside knowledge regarding transfers other than we maybe going for a certain type or position, further than that they could not trust him.

Basically NSC is a better source of speculation and often someone here knows something about incoming transfers before Naylor.

Good! Who's interested in a load of pointless speculation about players who are 'linked' but we have no intention of signing? I'm not expecting him to have inside knowledge – whether they 'trust' him or not – but if he's getting the official line from the club, then that's closer to the truth than anyone else (in many cases).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You'd think he'd be contacting journalists local to the clubs we're dealing with, possibly agents and other contacts to find out if there's any truth in rumours etc. The club wouldn't give him the nod shortly before a player signs anyway, what would be the point in that? The club get no benefit from Naylor saying something shortly before the dead is done, and it increases the risk of a player being contacted by another club.

It would be more understandable if the club leaked info about a player leaving, if the club wanted to invite offers from other clubs, but I don't get the feeling our club is particularly into that.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
But he's played every minute this season?

Yep - massively underwhelmed in spite of his passing stats, which I believe have come about from not wanting to hold the ball (fear of losing it) and that he's playing virtually a yard in front of the back four and playing a higher % of longer passes to accommodate this. He is undeniably a very ordinary PL player.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
True, but at this level Dale isn't really... well... anything from midfield - He's slow, nervy, too deep, too introverted and thus totally out of his depth. The only exception being the recent FA cup match where he looked like he'd arrived... alas he immediately returned to his more dominant habits during the following match.

What a load of rubbish he is the one player who has upped his game to meet the demands of The Premier League more so than any other player in the squad.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
What a load of rubbish he is the one player who has upped his game to meet the demands of The Premier League more so than any other player in the squad.

I couldn't disagree more.

If he has indeed 'upped' his game, well I dread to think what a standard Championship Dale would look like.

Nah - he's left me thinking his true level is somewhere in the league below us.

Not bad, but not great.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton

Serious question, how many games have you seen this season? You think he’s “totally out of his depth”, so why do you think our (arguably greatest) manager of all time has picked him for every minute this season.

If you look at any game we have picked up points this season the Stephens/Propper partnership has had a lot to do with it. Of course there have been some wayward passes and poor finishing but he’s involved so much and covers so much ground that is to be expected.

I honestly wonder what fans of teams who are (and are to be expected to be in) relegation battles expect. I imagine it must be quite disheartening for those two to work their bollocks off for 90 mins to see one of our forward players miss the chances that have been created, but shit happens.

If you honestly believe the tripe you posted then afraid football just isn’t the sport for you :thumbsup:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Never forget that Naylor pooh-poohed the Schelotto deal, and he is already my favourite signing since Vicente.

He also categorically confirmed CMS wasn't happening.

And Zamora.

Which does rather beg the question that if Naylor gets his info from the club, why they're so happy to give him a categorical NO when they then go ahead and sign the player - and indeed if they keep doing this to him this on several occasions, why he keeps taking their word for it...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here