Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Confirmed walled garden, will only play nicely with other Apple products.

https://www.cnet.com/news/reminder-a...apple-devices/
    If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice......

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull Dorset Seagull's Avatar

5 Not allowed!
      Mrs DS got an Amazon Alexa from our youngest at Christmas and was so excited about it. She used to ask it for a daily update which gave her the latest news etc. However one day Alexa must have been confused about what she asked for because it starting asking her some health related questions which she duly answered. Alexa then told her she had x days to live! Now when she asks for her morning briefing it s proceeded by you have x days to live, which is one day less than the previous one. Scares her shitless
      Pretentious,moi?

0 Not allowed!
      Interesting report for the states. As Siri is so far behind Alexa and particularly the Google Assistant, it needed to really shine in sound quality. It appears, initially, to have not quite come up to scratch when compared to the Google Home Max and Sonos.

https://www.consumerreports.org/smar...-test-results/
      Members The Andy Naylor Fan Club's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Oops

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43064772

Apple's new smart speakers can discolour wooden surfaces, leaving a white mark where they are placed, the firm has acknowledged.

The US company has suggested that owners may have to re-oil furniture if the HomePod is moved.

The device went on sale last week after having been delayed from its original 2017 release date.

Apple told Pocket-lint that it was "not unusual"*for speakers with silicone bases*to leave a "mild mark".

But the gadget review site told the BBC it had never seen anything like this problem.

The website's founder, Stuart Miles, told the BBC that a speaker left a mark on his kitchen worktop within 20 minutes.

"To clear it, I had to sand the wood down and then re-oil it," Mr Miles said.

"It wasn't the end of the world for us. But if you've bought an expensive Scandinavian sideboard or some beautiful piece of wooden furniture and then got a mark on it from the speaker, you can imagine the horror," he added.

The problem has also been experienced by*a New York Times review*and*the 9to5Mac news site*as well as by at least one member of the public.
      When you are out and about, if you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours.
      Massive up 170417 LamieRobertson's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Andy Naylor Fan Club View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Oops

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43064772

Apple's new smart speakers can discolour wooden surfaces, leaving a white mark where they are placed, the firm has acknowledged.

The US company has suggested that owners may have to re-oil furniture if the HomePod is moved.

The device went on sale last week after having been delayed from its original 2017 release date.

Apple told Pocket-lint that it was "not unusual"*for speakers with silicone bases*to leave a "mild mark".

But the gadget review site told the BBC it had never seen anything like this problem.

The website's founder, Stuart Miles, told the BBC that a speaker left a mark on his kitchen worktop within 20 minutes.

"To clear it, I had to sand the wood down and then re-oil it," Mr Miles said.

"It wasn't the end of the world for us. But if you've bought an expensive Scandinavian sideboard or some beautiful piece of wooden furniture and then got a mark on it from the speaker, you can imagine the horror," he added.

The problem has also been experienced by*a New York Times review*and*the 9to5Mac news site*as well as by at least one member of the public.
      I didn’t know Ikea did expensive sideboards
      Members The Andy Naylor Fan Club's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by LamieRobertson View Post
      I didn’t know Ikea did expensive sideboards
      Then sir, I can only surmise that you have never shopped at the said establishment.

Disclaimer, I have no idea how much Ikea charge for a sideboard.
      When you are out and about, if you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Green Cross Code Man View Post
      Interesting report for the states. As Siri is so far behind Alexa and particularly the Google Assistant, it needed to really shine in sound quality. It appears, initially, to have not quite come up to scratch when compared to the Google Home Max and Sonos.

https://www.consumerreports.org/smar...-test-results/
      The Verge are positively gushing about the sound quality:

"Compared to the HomePod, the Sonos One sounds a little empty and the Google Home Max is a bass-heavy mess — even though Google also does real-time room tuning. The Echo and smaller Google Home aren’t even in the same league. The only comparable speaker that came close in my testing was the Sonos Play:5, which could match the detail and power of the HomePod in some rooms when tuned with Sonos’ TruePlay system. But it also costs more, is larger, and doesn’t have any smart features at all."

"Apple’s audio engineering team did something really clever and new with the HomePod, and it really works. I’m not sure there’s anything out there that sounds better for the price, or even several times the price."

Pretty damning about everything else though.

I was in the Apple Store in Brighton today mulling over a new MacBook Pro purchase (I resisted), and didn't even consider going to check out the Homepod. I assume they had them, but I completely forgot about it. I'm not sure I've been so unaware of a new Apple product ever before.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
      The Verge are positively gushing about the sound quality:

"Compared to the HomePod, the Sonos One sounds a little empty and the Google Home Max is a bass-heavy mess — even though Google also does real-time room tuning. The Echo and smaller Google Home aren’t even in the same league. The only comparable speaker that came close in my testing was the Sonos Play:5, which could match the detail and power of the HomePod in some rooms when tuned with Sonos’ TruePlay system. But it also costs more, is larger, and doesn’t have any smart features at all."

"Apple’s audio engineering team did something really clever and new with the HomePod, and it really works. I’m not sure there’s anything out there that sounds better for the price, or even several times the price."

Pretty damning about everything else though.

I was in the Apple Store in Brighton today mulling over a new MacBook Pro purchase (I resisted), and didn't even consider going to check out the Homepod. I assume they had them, but I completely forgot about it. I'm not sure I've been so unaware of a new Apple product ever before.
      This one is interesting, a blind test and it's not the first where the Google Max comes ahead of the Homepod. But you'll be glad to know that the Sonos, whilst being far cheaper than either, is rated best.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/head-...160346138.html

Have you seen this? Seems the Homepod is having its fair share of woes: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43064772

edit:just seen this earlier in the thread. Oops.

0 Not allowed!
      Sales not going too well. Hardly surprising when Google Home Max and Sonos (significantly cheaper) offer better products.
      https://mashable.com/2018/04/12/appl.../#dah.L4E4iZqr

1 Not allowed!
      Got a Google Home mini for my birthday and it's bloody fantastic. Great sound quality. Better than an echo which my friend has, let alone a dot. Looks good too.
      Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Fish View Post
      Are people taking stupidity pills on here today or something