Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Inaugural Nations League draw , Today 11 am ish

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I'm actually looking forward to this. It deals with the gripe that bigger nations (Like England) only ever play smaller nations at home in competitive matches. Imagine watching England vs Germany at a sold out Wembley to qualify for a final. Could potentially be a tad more exciting than San Marino in front of 45,000...
Erm, we have recently played Germany, Spain, France and v Brazil in friendlies. I can't remember ever playing San Marino in a friendly...

We will now have much tougher qualifying games so hopefully it will be good for the teams progression into tournaments.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So that's 6 group matches in 2 and a half months just after the start of next season.

Other than UEFA and the FA who gives a sh1t?

International football is so dysfunctional - just have qualifiers, Euros and World Cup. Indeed, what would give it a real element of mystery is if international sides weren't even allowed to train together - just fly them in an hour before kick-off, a few stretches then away you go!

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
So that's 6 group matches in 2 and a half months just after the start of next season.

Other than UEFA and the FA who gives a sh1t?

International football is so dysfunctional - just have qualifiers, Euros and World Cup. Indeed, what would give it a real element of mystery is if international sides weren't even allowed to train together - just fly them in an hour before kick-off, a few stretches then away you go!

I thought England already did that....well that's what it looks like when they play anyway

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I don't fully understand the format but wont this mean that it will make it more difficult (or impossible) to manipulate the rankings the way that Wales, Switzerland etc have been doing (and that England have failed miserably at due to the FA grabbing the cash from pointless Wembley friendlies)?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
There will still be some friendlies. For example, England will be in a group of 3 meaning every matchday, 1 team will not be playing so a friendly will be played. So out of the 6 matchdays, 2 will be friendlies.

What happens if all the teams in League A qualify via the Euro Qualifiers? Who will take the extra space?

I think it will be the highest placed in qualifying that hasn't already qualified and they go into the playoffs.

No, this is the only one that will be based on rankings. From now on, it is all promotion/relegation. So you have a 3 team league in League B, the group winners will then be in League A in the next competition, the 2nd team will stay in League B and the bottom team will go to League C.

Que?

I think it's the highest ranked, rather than placed, which will move into League A's play-off path. Then there will be a knock-on effect for the play-off paths for B, C and D.

The videos on this page are quite helpful: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42719404

Oh, I give up.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Finals will be in Portugal, June 5-9.

The teams:

Portugal
England/Spain/Croatia
France/Netherlands
Belgium/Switzerland

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I think this has been rather marvellous, to see friendlies with passion and effort has been great.

We enter our last game today knowing that a win will see us through to the finals next June; whereas a 1-1 draw would see us relegated to the second tier. I think its honestly all rather fun :)

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I think this has been rather marvellous, to see friendlies with passion and effort has been great.

We enter our last game today knowing that a win will see us through to the finals next June; whereas a 1-1 draw would see us relegated to the second tier. I think its honestly all rather fun :)

Agree. Looking forward to the game today. We're exciting to watch now, we have a great young squad - and a likeable bunch too, and it's a big game where anything could happen. What's not to like?

It'd be nice to get revenge over Croatia for the world cup too. (I know it's not quite as big but still!)

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
Chillwell seems a really good left back but somebody needs to teach him to cross a ball. His corners are the worst I've ever seen from an international.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
So if we were to win the whole thing we then play Euro qualifying even though we have already qualified?

The winner of the Nations League does not automatically qualify for the Euros. Seedings for the Euro 2020 qualifiers will be based on Nations League finishing positions.

The 16 Nations League group winners get a spot in the play-offs for one of 4 places at Euro 2020 if they fail to qualify through the normal qualifiers.

If a group winner should qualify automatically then the next best ranked side to not qualify will get the play off spot based on the Nations League finishing positions.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The winner of the Nations League does not automatically qualify for the Euros. Seedings for the Euro 2020 qualifiers will be based on Nations League finishing positions.

The 16 Nations League group winners get a spot in the play-offs for one of 4 places at Euro 2020 if they fail to qualify through the normal qualifiers.

If a group winner should qualify automatically then the next best ranked side to not qualify will get the play off spot based on the Nations League finishing positions.

Complex stuff; I bet there will a 15 year old Korean mathematician who works out Switzerland have qualified before anyone else has realised this.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here