Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Inaugural Nations League draw , Today 11 am ish

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
By virtue of the format, lower-tier countries - the bottom 16 in the rankings - are now guaranteed one of the 24 qualifying slots for the European Championship finals.

WHAT THE F?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The format is ridiculously complicated.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
By virtue of the format, lower-tier countries - the bottom 16 in the rankings - are now guaranteed one of the 24 qualifying slots for the European Championship finals.

WHAT THE F?

Scotland are planning hotels for the finals already

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
Don't get what the problem is?

4 leagues based on world ranking, each split into 4 groups. Winner of each group in their leagues then enter a play off format to qualify for Euro 2020.

The League A group winners enter semi-final and final for the competition.

Playing Football Manager helps understanding the competition. Once I finished 2nd in my group but still had a Euro playoff due to the group winner already qualifying.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I'm actually looking forward to this. It deals with the gripe that bigger nations (Like England) only ever play smaller nations at home in competitive matches. Imagine watching England vs Germany at a sold out Wembley to qualify for a final. Could potentially be a tad more exciting than San Marino in front of 45,000...

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I'm well pleased about the whole concept and hopefully this will make the International Breaks a bit more interesting, but **** me could they make it any more complicated? I have read it a few times and I am still not 100% on how it all works.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
TBH this is a better idea than a load of random, meaningless friendlies nobody's bothered about and people just find irritating because they get in the way of domestic football

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
TBH this is a better idea than a load of random, meaningless friendlies nobody's bothered about and people just find irritating because they get in the way of domestic football

There will still be some friendlies. For example, England will be in a group of 3 meaning every matchday, 1 team will not be playing so a friendly will be played. So out of the 6 matchdays, 2 will be friendlies.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Don't get what the problem is?

4 leagues based on world ranking, each split into 4 groups. Winner of each group in their leagues then enter a play off format to qualify for Euro 2020.

The League A group winners enter semi-final and final for the competition.

Playing Football Manager helps understanding the competition. Once I finished 2nd in my group but still had a Euro playoff due to the group winner already qualifying.

Teams can manipulate the system to take advantage of the format by deliberately lowering their ranking, meaning they end up in a lower group and get an easier route to the finals? (a bit like the teams that manipulate their rankings now to give them a favourable ranking by playing the system like Switzerland and Wales)

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
Teams can manipulate the system to take advantage of the format by deliberately lowering their ranking, meaning they end up in a lower group and get an easier route to the finals? (a bit like the teams that manipulate their rankings now to give them a favourable ranking by playing the system like Switzerland and Wales)

No, this is the only one that will be based on rankings. From now on, it is all promotion/relegation. So you have a 3 team league in League B, the group winners will then be in League A in the next competition, the 2nd team will stay in League B and the bottom team will go to League C.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here