Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Jury Service

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I thought that revealing what went on in the jury room, even after a trial has finished, was contempt of court - especially posting such revelations on a public forum ???

It is........need to be very careful not to post anything that could be used to identify the actual case.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Imagine being were sent to prison for a crime you didn't commit because someone was hungry. Terrifyingly stupid.

The case I was on 9 guilty, 3 not, judge would accept 10 - 2 verdict. We had been deliberating for 4 hours, suddenly juror said its 4.45 I'm hungry and want to go home so I will change my mind to guilty.

Also whilst on jury service while we were waiting for our case to start, police arrested a juror in another court room, he had googled the case he was on and revealed information on the accused that was left out of the case. Thing was the trial was 6 days old and they had just started summing up.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Have a chat with Sandra at number 17 in your road. She's a relation.
She's just been on jury service for 9 weeks on one case!
My wife had two weeks and had two different cases.

I've had one call up that I got out of because of the work I do.

Will bear that in mind, ta. Bloody hell, 9 weeks ?! I'm PAYE, but that would still play merry havoc with my job.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I enjoyed it when I did it. First week did a case of a bloke who was accused of stealing a lawnmower from a shed.
Were there any containers of clear liquid stolen too? This could have been a real watershed moment.

Yoda

English & European
Have a chat with Sandra at number 17 in your road. She's a relation.
She's just been on jury service for 9 weeks on one case!
My wife had two weeks and had two different cases.

I've had one call up that I got out of because of the work I do.

I can sympathise, was called up nearly two years ago. Case was meant to last 4 and got called off at the end of week 6 due to pre-arranged holidays of Jury members. We were advised it would've lasted at least another 2-3 before summarizing if we could've continued.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The case I was on 9 guilty, 3 not, judge would accept 10 - 2 verdict. We had been deliberating for 4 hours, suddenly juror said its 4.45 I'm hungry and want to go home so I will change my mind to guilty.

Also whilst on jury service while we were waiting for our case to start, police arrested a juror in another court room, he had googled the case he was on and revealed information on the accused that was left out of the case. Thing was the trial was 6 days old and they had just started summing up.

Is there no obligation for you to tell the judge that the juror is basing his decision on his appetite?

weepete

Sep 22, 2011
Careful what you wish for. I wanted a nice meaty case and not some financial case.
Ended up getting a case regarding the physical and sexual abuse of a 2 year old.
I hope you get one that doesn't stay with you.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not that I recall. Told what we can and can't do. I suppose you get bits of training in advice from the Judge and so on.

No training, just dos and donts...........you can ask the judge for clarification on legal points. You have to do it in writing via the clerk (clerk is quite useful, will always help with any questions).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well, I've been summonsed to Brighton Magistrates Court for 9am tomorrow. Originally it was Hove, but they've changed their minds. OBVIOUSLY I won't be posting on here or anywhere else about any case(s) I'm assigned to, if I'm picked. But I am genuinely intrigued as to the judicial process, and really hope I am selected for a case. Ready and prepared to do my civic duty !

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Well, I've been summonsed to Brighton Magistrates Court for 9am tomorrow. Originally it was Hove, but they've changed their minds. OBVIOUSLY I won't be posting on here or anywhere else about any case(s) I'm assigned to, if I'm picked. But I am genuinely intrigued as to the judicial process, and really hope I am selected for a case. Ready and prepared to do my civic duty !

Hope you're not driving. Parking is a RIGHT ******* round there.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here