Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chelsea preview...we've definitely been rumbled

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Again, just like Icy, you over egg the pudding when someone thinks more positively. The recruitment is spot on, getting the pom poms out etc etc.

I said I could name the people in this thread almost without opening it. The same people who said we weren't going to get promoted last season, Huddersfield would be in the automatic places and so forth.

It's not just this season. Every July I read 'The Championship is going to be much harder this year'

Glass half full, glass half empty. There are some on this forum who haven't even got a glass. I am not referring to you or Icy, but there are quite a few who do nothing but moan. You never see anything positive from them.
Before you come back and say I never post anything negative, yes, I do.

This is what gets irritating though. Anything NOT positive is so often met with accusations of grizzling and moaning on here. "Look where we've come from" etc etc.

To be clear, I'm happier than a dog with two dicks at the general state of BHAFC right now. But that doesn't preclude airing concerns this season at how we are currently going about attempting to stay in this division. It doesn't mean I'm expecting top 10, or for us to be opening up and going gung-ho at the likes of Chelsea or Spurs. But by the same token, we've fought so hard to earn our place in this League, and I don't want to see us conservatively and meekly surrendering it by attempting to defend our way to 40 points. History tells us, it won't work.

Anyway, if Locadia hits the ground running and starts banging them in, then we'll all be like Oompa Loompas on helium and none of this shit will matter.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
The catch 22 is would you want another manager to get you promoted? And IF we go down I bet we’ll be stronger if we return and we should, the setup of the club is solid! Considering TB is a gambler he’s been incredibly sensible in his structuring of the club!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This is what gets irritating though. Anything NOT positive is so often met with accusations of grizzling and moaning on here. "Look where we've come from" etc etc.

To be clear, I'm happier than a dog with two dicks at the general state of BHAFC right now. But that doesn't preclude airing concerns this season at how we are currently going about attempting to stay in this division. It doesn't mean I'm expecting top 10, or for us to be opening up and going gung-ho at the likes of Chelsea or Spurs. But by the same token, we've fought so hard to earn our place in this League, and I don't want to see us conservatively and meekly surrendering it by attempting to defend our way to 40 points. History tells us, it won't work.

Anyway, if Locadia hits the ground running and starts banging them in, then we'll all be like Oompa Loompas on helium and none of this shit will matter.

Posters on this thread are agreeing with the summary, and not taking into account that Hughton did change the tactics, and there was nothing meek about Schelotto.

Ok I know we lost the game anyway, but we did give it a go. This summary was before the Chelsea game.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Posters on this thread are agreeing with the summary, and not taking into account that Hughton did change the tactics, and there was nothing meek about Schelotto.

Ok I know we lost the game anyway, but we did give it a go. This summary was before the Chelsea game.

As you point out, this was pre-Chelsea. But IMO its undeniably a pretty damn accurate assessment of our season thus far.

I'm encouraged that CH tried something different though, and have said elsewhere that the way he set us up for that game is certainly worth another look as we won't be up against another Hazard or Willian for a while. We've got a freebie on Saturday to try it out again, and I hope he does. There's reasons for optimism, not least with the arrival of Locadia. But we've got to start showing a little more adventure and fight if we're going to give ourselves a chance.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As you point out, this was pre-Chelsea. But IMO its undeniably a pretty damn accurate assessment of our season thus far.

I'm encouraged that CH tried something different though, and have said elsewhere that the way he set us up for that game is certainly worth another look as we won't be up against another Hazard or Willian for a while. We've got a freebie on Saturday to try it out again, and I hope he does. There's reasons for optimism, not least with the arrival of Locadia. But we've got to start showing a little more adventure and fight if we're going to give ourselves a chance.

Better players acquired this month, plus having more faith in Izquierdo, will hopefully give that adventure.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Can't argue with that.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Blimey, that's incredibly insightful from an opposition fan. Hard to disagree with pretty much any of it. Slightly sobering reading.

Can't really disagree with any of it, is Chris capable of dealing with constructive criticism ?
How can a pattern be adhered to if it has already been proved to be at fault.
I think that this should be carefully analysed by TB and CH.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
Yep we do need a bloody miracle (i.e a lot of goals) to stay up. Not much pressure on Locadia..... let's hope he hits the ground running (not limping)!

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
I'm sure Chris is well aware of all of this. For now, it's still completely in our hands. Next four PL games are absolutely critical: Southampton (A), WHU(H), Stoke (A), Swansea (H).

All winnable and against other relegation candidates. We need between 6-9 points from those games - if not we’ll really be in a serious relegation scrap and I would then start to feel very concerned. For now though, I have faith Chris can prepare the team tactically to give us a good chance of winning these games.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
It’s a really good analysis of us, ironically it isn’t how we played against Chelsea!

On the way

Oct 9, 2016
North Herts
It must be nice to have absolutely no concerns about how this season is going. Being called a bedwetter or miserbalist is missing the point completely unless you have total confidence that our recruitment has been spot on.

We have no divine right to stay in this division and it won’t be the end of the world if we don’t but the snidey remarks about those who show concern is equally as irritating to us bedwetters (miserabilst) as we are to those not that concerned about the way things are going..imo.

Getting pissed off with the posters who get on their high horses making out that all is just fine whilst slagging off those showing concern. None of us has a clue how this season will pan out at the moment, so discussing it from both sides is what this forum is about surely?

This.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
......"It seems their modus operandi is to show up, work really hard without the ball, and lose without doing much attacking anyway"......

This sums it up for me....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yeah. The fact that he tried something different is positive. (As is the new signing, of course)

Really hope he still sees how we played as a positive, regardless of the final score.

If we attack like that against the bottom 10-12, we'll get wins.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Just saw this on a Chelsea fans website (I was looking for an opposition fans view of the game)...there's not an awful lot I can disagree with here. Quite a succinct analysis of us IMO.

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation...pposition-analysis-chris-hughton-tactics-2018

A lot of cut and paste from here

https://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnati...pposition-analysis-chris-hughton-tactics-2017

But yes not much has changed, and something does if we are going to stay up.

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Yes we should print this off and send it to Chris and Tony - good point about the wingers spending all their time defending . Hughton gets really pissed with them when they dont defend really well - fair enough they have a duty to do so . However it should not be their primary duty . We need a change of approach otherwise we are going down - everyone knows that . Great post and thanks to you whoever you are for making the time to write it ....

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I don't think it's so much that Hughton is defensive but he believe that you defend first and build from there. In the Championship we could do that and be good enough to dominate opposing side. The problem this season is a lack of quality, rather than poor tactics or a lack of commitment/effort etc. Some people talk about Huddersfield's style but they have a point more than us and have only scored 2 more. You can try to win points in different ways, at the end of the day we're both going to struggle because we lack the quality that others in this league have.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It's funny that Dyche is being lauded, for employing the exact same tactics as Hughton has. All those stats around final third, shots, tackles etc are very similar to Burnley, but I guess they have the advantage in that they played the same way in the Championship, survived doing the same last season and so are well practiced at it.
We have not had our fair share of good fortune in the last ten matches, if the next ten even it up, we will be fine.

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
I don't think it's so much that Hughton is defensive but he believe that you defend first and build from there. In the Championship we could do that and be good enough to dominate opposing side. The problem this season is a lack of quality, rather than poor tactics or a lack of commitment/effort etc. Some people talk about Huddersfield's style but they have a point more than us and have only scored 2 more. You can try to win points in different ways, at the end of the day we're both going to struggle because we lack the quality that others in this league have.

Absolutely, I dont think Knockaert is playing any worse or doing anything different from last season. His role has always been to defend as well - and has been very good at it in the main. He`s finding it difficult to beat better defenders. Also, our problems with the midfield giving away possession cheaply were very evident last season also. We just got away with it more.last year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here